A big fat Book 5 Speculation thread.

Jonas Albrecht

+1 for new strats and schemes that reward some of the less combat prone masters.

Why not have a strat where your objective is to be outnumbered and still survive? Kind of the opposite of slaughter. vp based on how badly you are outnumbered. lol. Finally we would have an auto WIN against hamlin! lol.

Or what about some schemes that warrent the use of disengaging strikes? did your master survive more than 4 disengaging strikes? (yes) 1vp! were at least 2 against the opposing master? (yes) +1vp! you know, like a "counting coup" type of thing, where native american warriors would touch thier enemies with their hands or a stick to show that they could have killed them but chose not to. this would of course bring shame to the touched party. I think it would be a neat way to play.

i might see if someone will let me try this against them.

Don't Deliver a message and Steal Relic kind of do that thing anyway?

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with more, but we do already have that

Personal best suggestion on this thread is Poulpox including Terraclips packs with Story encounters. That I would Love

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

woah woah woah... no need to dogpile on the comment. lol. I'm just trying to think outside of what we have now. Someone mentioned strats/schemes that would benefit the less combat-oriented masters. thought i would throw something out there, obviously not some completely fleshed out objective. And besides, there is no reason it wouldn't work, it would just need to have the obvious exploits and loopholes covered.

I mean, to answer gorbad's issue with it, Models killed or sacced by your own master do not count toward this objective. Boom. fixed it. also, you know it would be difficult to both not kill any of your opponents stuff AND to make sure yours survived. That would be really difficult. Epecially since as the game went on, you would be down to a model or two and the opponent would have thier entire crew. This would only happen sooner if you purposfully hired only one or two expensive models to try and get an easy couple vp.

plus, it's not like there isn't already a bad matchup or two in the strats. Have Molly as your master and flip Slaughter. You're hosed. Kirai with Recconoiter, not so tuff to accomplish, but difficult to counter.

Don't Deliver a message and Steal Relic kind of do that thing anyway?

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with more, but we do already have that

Not really though, since neither of those require you to get away alive. you just have to get to the master and interact. I was thinking of a scheme that would be advantageous for crews that want to get out of melee combat whenever possible. Of course, take marcus or perdita and you could exploit it for easy vp. But that would be just like any other scheme or strat that a master is obviously good at.

i guess holes can be poked in any idea though.

Personal best suggestion on this thread is Poulpox including Terraclips packs with Story encounters. That I would Love

This i am a huge fan of. I would really like to see the story encounters finally come to be. and the terraclips would only sweeten that deal for me.

What would people think of optional rules that gave us the tools to design our own characters? Only limit them to being special forces, for use with the new optional rules only?

I think this would tie in nicely with Through The Breach & the multi-part plastic character sets due to release with TTB?

I must say though the idea of Terraclips boosters for story encounters would be freaking sweet.

Barring that more special forces would be nice. Frankly it's too soon for 2.0 though.

1.5 hasn't even been around long enough for a whole new edition yet.

What would people think of optional rules that gave us the tools to design our own characters? Only limit them to being special forces, for use with the new optional rules only?

I think this would tie in nicely with Through The Breach & the multi-part plastic character sets due to release with TTB?

Kinda what I was thinking when I posted earlier. I think others have said it as well. Official rules for this would help give more of a personal feeling to the game.

plus, it's not like there isn't already a bad matchup or two in the strats. Have Molly as your master and flip Slaughter. You're hosed. Kirai with Recconoiter, not so tuff to accomplish, but difficult to counter.

Unless you're playing in a fixed master tournament, this isn't going to happen (unless you're just plain stubborn about playing that crew that match) as you flip strategies prior to selecting crews.

There's also spending a stone to reflip strategies, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say that the second one flipped was as bad or worse than the first one.

I announce Ressers.

Flip Slaughter. Well, I guess Molly's staying in the bag, unless she's tagging along with another master.

Opponent flips Reconnoiter. Looks like Kirai's also staying in the bag.

That's not to say that some Strats (and Schemes) aren't harder in general, and that for some masters, they may be difficult or downright impossible to accomplish.

I would certainly like to see even more Strats and Schemes, though. In theory, they could eventually expand all the way up to 52 separate Strategies, one for each card in the deck, keeping Red Joker as your choice and Black Joker as your opponent chooses. I'd first suggest doubling from the current 13 Strategies up to 26. Instead of just what number did you flip, what color was it. Eventually (read: a couple more years down the road), double that to the full 52 Strategies.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Kinda what I was thinking when I posted earlier. I think others have said it as well. Official rules for this would help give more of a personal feeling to the game.

I definitely want to be able to have characters in Through the Breach be able to interact with and face off against actual characters from the world of Malifaux and to be able to take them from roleplaying straight to the tabletop.

I'd been saying from the beginning, that if they do an rpg, I want them to keep the stats and the Fate Deck the same, for a fluid transition. What's easier in a combat system than to just be able to fight it out with our usual rules for 'Faux?

The traits the characters have are most likely derived traits anyways. In White Wolf or Shadowrun terms, Ramos' Ca 8 is likely a product of Int 4 and Occult 4, or something similar. Same goes for other stats.

Unless you're playing in a fixed master tournament, this isn't going to happen (unless you're just plain stubborn about playing that crew that match) as you flip strategies prior to selecting crews.

There's also spending a stone to reflip strategies, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say that the second one flipped was as bad or worse than the first one.

I announce Ressers.

Flip Slaughter. Well, I guess Molly's staying in the bag, unless she's tagging along with another master.

Opponent flips Reconnoiter. Looks like Kirai's also staying in the bag.

I know the proper order, but there are a ton of players out there that either a) only have one crew and already know who they are playing. or B) they just got a new master and want to try them out.

Though i will fully admit i often choose my master on my way to the LGS. haha. I'm also guilty of being such a SS hoarder that i never re-flip my strats.

I get what you're saying though, and i know you're right. I am just THAT guy who is too stubborn. :P I would love to eventually see 52 strategies. that would make games very very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Previous years we start getting images about July. The amount they "spoil" has varied from just pictures, to pages from the book or actual character cards. The nearer to Gen con, the more information we get.

So far all new models have appeared in Books released at Gencon.

Special Forces... IMO some would need more options,like Molly. And have Freicorps and Dolla gotten any fluff in the other books? What other Special Forces are there?

I for one woule like to see more fluff concerning Nicodem,my favorite character in the game. Does he have anything in other book besides the first?

And maybe more options to 10T-forces...and Schemes ans Strategies. Anyone got anything on whenthis possible book would get out?

Maybe Wyrd could do the same that Privateer Press did with WarmaHordes MKI and MKII: not reset the story like GW but expand it:maybe some sort of "next stage in growing"-kind of options to some or all Masters (like Warcasters/locks and their epic equivalents). Also yeah,campaign rules. :)

And more Undead. I got some ideas...but well,maybe they belong elsewhere.

Whatever it is I hope it has Ponies...

Undead Ponies.

On a bit of a tangent to the main topic, I've finally got all Riders along with Levi's avatar. Once the exam season is over I'll make time to paint all of that in appropriate fashion. I just wish I had Mounted McCabe to get all six...

One day.

Also, avatar Perdita. Looks a bit like a helpful dragon...

I would like malifaux 2.0 it would allow them to tidy up the book 1 masters and maybe add campaign rules. Plastic version of book 1 models would be awesome some of them are a pain (undead hookers and nekima I'm looking at you). It also makes sense if you think about it a version 2.0 would take up a lot less time and resources than a new book this would allow them to focus on the RPG.