Ototo

Yamaziko

Torakage

Ten Thunders Brother

Ten Thunders Archer

Cache: 5ss

Strategy: Turf War

Schemes: Emptied Pockets (Announced)

Kill Protégé: Samael Hopkins (Announced)

My opponent’s crew:

Lady Justice

Judge

Executioner

Samael Hopkins

Death Marshal

Witchling Stalker

Witchling Stalker

Cache: 5ss

Strategy: Reconnoiter

Schemes: Breakthrough (Announced)

Bodyguard: Lady Justice (Unannounced)

Notes:

After weeks of waiting for the box to arrive and then having to delay for another few weeks to find the time to build her, and our club taking a break last week due to the hall being used as a polling station, I finally had the chance to take Misaki, Mistress of the Ten Thunders out for a spin!

I knew I would be up against Guild as this was a pre-arranged game as part of our Achievement League, which has been helping to get people playing Malifaux at our club for the last few weeks. Guild are my other faction, so this would be a good chance to see what Misaki could do without having to worry about too many tricksey things that some of the other factions could do to me…

Flipping strategies, I got Turf War, which looks like a decent strategy for Misaki, as it encourages her aggressive play style, and her crew has plenty of quick models with movement tricks to help them get up the field. My opponent got Reconnoiter, which I consider to be one of the hardest strategies for the majority of lists, at least until you’re playing a fairly large game – it is easy to lose a few a models and suddenly find the strategy hard to impossible to complete.

On this basis, I was surprised that he didn’t reflip this one – for Guild especially, and knowing the models he had available, I didn’t like his chances of scoring max points for it….

I picked a flexible crew that I had been wanted to try out for a while with Misaki – a little ‘taster menu’ of some of her new models. Although I had used the Archer, Brother and Yamaziko before, the other models were new to me, but looked like they could create a fun and varied list that could adapt to a variety of situations.

My opponent’s crew contained a few more expensive models than I was expecting – with Judge, Samael and an Executioner, he was going to need every model he had for the strategy. He hasn’t built his Watcher yet, but in his shoes, I would probably have maxed out on cheaper models… Still, there were some seriously harder hitters amongst that group, and I would have to be wary of the Executioner and his ability to heal or one-shot models…

For Schemes, I picked Kill Protégé, figuring I would need to dive bomb something into Samael ASAP anyway, to avoid having my models blown away by his ‘Flaming Bullets’. With low Df and no real defensive abilities however, I felt confident that Misaki could take him down swiftly if she could get to him. For my other scheme, I went with Misaki’s master specific one – Emptied Pockets, which looked like a bit of fun and would probably be achievable if Misaki actually got into combat with Lady Justice.

He chose to announce Breakthrough, but kept his other one a secret.

Deployment (all directions from my point of view):

We flipped Diagonal deployment, and I won the flip so elected to make my opponent set up first. He spread out across his deployment zone, splitting his force into 3 rough groups – A Witchling and the Judge on the left, a Witchling and Samael on the right and Lady Justice, the Executioner and the Death Marshal in the centre.

I deployed the Archer to the left of my zone near a large ruined building, with Ototo nearby but more central. The rest of my models grouped up on the right, intending to sweep the right flank where a large wood dominated the board.

The Centre of the board contained several buildings with some fences and walls connected to them.

Turn 1

I lost the flip for initiative. I was also disappointed with my hand for this round, getting nothing higher than a 7, despite Shang’s ‘Rush of Magic’ allowing me a little bit of hand control. Although I wouldn’t really need many good cards this turn, I was hoping to be able to keep some ready for next round…

The Witchling on the left flank opened the game by running further to the left, making for a low wall on that side of the board. He through up ‘Disrupt Magic’ just in case anything could get close enough.

I started with the Torakage, who used ‘Faceless’ to add masks to his cast, and then cast ‘Shadow Stride’ to bury himself. The other Witchling repeated the actions of the first one, running over to the right and using ‘Disrupt Magic’.

Yamaziko used ‘Master Tactician’, discarding a Soul stone to reveal that the hidden Scheme was Bodyguard on Lady Justice. She followed this up by using ‘Brace Spear’. It was highly unlikely that she would be charged this turn, but you never know!

Samael ran over to the right to take up position next to the Witchling, casting ‘Flaming Bullets’ to set himself up for some big damage shots next turn. My Ten Thunders Brother ran into the centre near to the wood and attempted to cast ‘Martial Artistry’, but failed to get the required Mask. The Judge ran over to stand next to the left hand Witchling. The Archer moved over to the extreme left of the board, moving behind the large ruin, to stop the Guild flankers from using it to hide.

The Executioner ran forward towards the centre. Ototo moved towards the centre as well, with the central building between him and the Executioner. He used ‘Brace’ on the off chance something could get to him. The Death Marshal edged forward to the edge of the hill that he and Justice were standing on.

Shang flew forwards to land in the woods, staring over at Samael and the Witchling. Lady Justice moved forwards slight to stand next to her Marshal. Misaki swapped ‘Reckless’ for ‘Fast’ because she started close to Yamaziko and triple walked around the wood and then in to stand next to Shang. She could see the Marshal on the other side of the board and chose to ‘Shadow’ him for some potential extra movement later in the game.

At the end of the turn, I unburied the Torakage to the left of Shang.

Turn 2

I won initiative this turn and found myself in a bit of a quandary. Misaki was in ‘Diving Charge’ range of Samael and the Witchling, and I had some fantastic cards this round, including several high Rams, but with a full hand of cards, I though my opponent would probably be able to mitigate the ‘decapitations’ unless I left her for later. I needed to do something to stop Samael unloading those ‘Flaming Bullets’ into Misaki though, as ‘Bulletproof 2’ wasn’t going to be enough to stop that from stinging badly.

In the end, I chose to go with the Torakage and Ten Thunder Brother activating via ‘companion’. The Torakage went first, walking towards the Witchling, throwing a Shuriken as he did so, which easily missed. He then paused to throw down some smoke bombs blocking Samael’s line of sight to Misaki and then walked again, throwing another Shuriken as he did so. This one was on a high crow, and forced my opponent to drop a high card to avoid the poison from the ‘treated weapon’ trigger. I finished up the second move engaging both Samael and the Witchling, but outside of their 1” melee ranges.

The Ten Thunder Brother didn’t really have much to do, but double walked to the right to take up a position where he could wade in next turn if required and failed to cast Martial Artistry.

The Witchling went next, walking forwards to engage the Torakage and striking him with his Shattered Rune Blade, dealing 3 wounds and forcing me to discard a control card – it is testament to how good my hand was this turn, that I was forced to discard an 11! He also used ‘Disrupt Magic’.

By this point, my opponent had used enough cards that I felt like Misaki might have more impact. She used ‘Diving Charge’ to leap from the woods into Samael, hitting him for Severe Damage and the ‘Decapitate’ trigger. He discarded a couple of cards to keep Sam alive, but was still down to 3 wounds. I followed up with an attack from Melee expert, catching him with another ‘Decapitate’. Realising that Samael was going down, he chose to save his cards, and Samael was killed. Misaki then took a wound to use Reckless to strike the Witchling, getting a third ‘Decapitate’ trigger, which my opponent also let though. The Witchling exploded before his head hit the ground, taking the Torakage down to a single wound and bringing Misaki down to 7. Impressive!

The surviving Witchling ran forwards on the left flank, taking cover behind the low wall. My Archer continued to advance around the building and catching sight of the Witchling, cast ‘Yajiri’ choosing the additional damage effect. He then used ‘Take Aim’ to focus a shot at the Stalker which mitigated the cover of the wall and dealt him 4 wounds. I triggered ‘The Arrow’s Path’, getting the required crow on the damage flip for a second shot, but this one missed due to the negative flip from the cover.

The Judge followed the Witchling more slowly, attempting to cast ‘Arrest’ on the Archer, but proved to be just out of range. Ototo walked to a more central position, but was careful not to move too close to the Executioner. I realised that with such low Wp, the Executioner’s ‘Terrifying’ ability could be problematic…

The Executioner proved just as cagey however, moving behind the central building, refusing to come closer to Ototo. Shang flew out of the wood and over to the buildings on the right, using them to protect himself from the surviving Guild Models. The Death Marshal moved back into his own deployment zone, attempting to draw a bead on Shang, but was forced to walk a second time. This second Walk was in Misaki’s line of sight, and she used ‘Shadow’ to walk towards him, ending up by Shang.

Having spent her first turn on tactics, Yamaziko had been left a little behind by my force rushing the right, and she ran to catch up, using ‘Brace Spear’ to discourage any charge from Lady Justice (although there was still a large distance between us). With the Torakage and Misaki taking wounds, I was keen to get her close so she could heal them.

Lady Justice finished up the turn by walking forwards into the street between the central and right hand buildings and shooting Ototo with her pistols, taking a couple of wounds from him.

Turn 3

I won the initiative again – Misaki was in ‘Diving Charge’ range of Lady Justice, but with 5 stones and a full hand of cards, I didn’t want to take a punt at Justice yet, especially as I was down to 7 wounds. Ototo was in range to double walk and attack her with melee expert, but that was unlikely to turn into much, and I would almost certainly lose him in return.

In the end, I opted to start with the Archer, who used ‘Aim’ to focus a shot into the Witchling, but unfortunately he missed. I used ‘Reading the Wind’ before taking a second shot, to mitigate the cover. This is the first time I’ve had a need to use this ability, but I figured I wouldn’t need the additional damage this turn, since even weak damage would take out the Witchling, and I figured I would retreat from the Judge rather than risk his wrath if I killed the Stalker with the first attack. The second attack hit home, taking the wretched creature’s life, and inflicting 2 wounds to the Judge with its ‘Immolating demise’.

The Death Marshal walked twice back to Lady Justice’s position. The first move was in line of sight of Misaki, but I didn’t really need the move, so I stayed where I was so that Yamaziko would be in range to heal her, which I did next, walking her twice, moving behind Ototo and getting closer to my other models. The Torakage was in dire need of a healing flip, but I was intending to bury him this turn and I figured I could heal him next turn. She successfully cast ‘Invigorate’ on Misaki, healing her 2 wounds.

The Judge went next, walking towards the Archer, and casting ‘Bullets and Blades’ to take two attacks at his opponent. The Long Arm attack hit a nasty ‘Critical Strike’ for 4 wounds, but luckily the Long Arm Pistol strike missed thanks to the cover of the corner of the building, and the Archer counted his lucky stars to still be alive. The Torakage used ‘Faceless’ and tried to cast ‘Shadow Stride’, but failed. The Executioner continued to be cagey, moving around the central building to get as far from Misaki as possible, continuing to face off with Ototo rather than advance towards him.

I opted to break this stale mate finally by having Ototo double walk (might have been in charge range, but didn’t want to risk it) back the way he’d come, bringing the Executioner in melee range. He passed his ‘Terrifying’ check and then took a swing with ‘Melee expert’, but missed… He used ‘Brace’ again, but I couldn’t really see any real need for it. Lady Justice followed the Executioner round the building, hoping to get into range for a ‘Melee expert’ attack on Ototo, but she turn out to be just short.

With Lady Justice having activated and moved away, there seemed no reason to hold Misaki back. She swapped her ‘Reckless’ for ‘Fast’ thanks to Yamaziko’s ‘Trusted Mentor’ and used ‘Diving Charge’ to leap the building and charge into the Death Marshal, getting yet another ‘Decapitate’ trigger. With two follow up attacks to come, my opponent elected not to discard any cards and Misaki took her third head of the game. With no one else near enough to attack, she used ‘Shadow’ on the Judge who was the only enemy in line of sight, figuring it might be useful later in the game, and used a walk to position herself for a ‘Diving Charge’ over the central building next turn.

Shang double walked to Misaki’s right, with the central building between him and the Guild models. Finally, the Ten Thunders Brother walked twice, into a position where he was between Misaki, Yamaziko and the Torakage.

Turn 4

I lost the initiative flip this turn and my opponent opted to start with Lady Justice, as the central fight was starting to get interesting. She walked forwards to engage Ototo, cast ‘Sword Style’, choosing to gain the ‘Onslaught’ trigger, and smacked him with her ‘melee expert’ attack. With the aid of her additional damage flip from her Great Sword, she managed to hit him for severe damage and triggered ‘Onslaught’. This free attack hit as well, also getting ‘Onslaught’ again, but the Black Joker flipped on the damage and broke the chain! Suddenly, killing Ototo wasn’t a sure thing anymore – with his ‘hard to kill’ ability, she would need at least two attacks from her last AP to finish him off, and if he survived, he could make five attacks back between ‘Flurry’ and ‘Melee Master’…

Wishing he’d gone into ‘Defensive Stance’ before starting, my opponent went for another attack. He flipped a lowish Mask, so I cheated high to try and make him miss, which forced him to play the 12 of Masks, hitting and getting ‘Onslaught’ again. The first hit took him down to his ‘Hard to kill’ and the second attack killed him, giving the ‘Inspiring Swordplay’ bonus to the Executioner.

It had been an intense fight, but critically, he was down several cards (and certainly his high masks) and several stones, so Lady Justice was looking exposed for the first time all game. Although the Archer was in trouble with the Judge, I thought it was important to attack the centre before the Executioner activated and changed things around.

I declared a large companion activation, thanks to the Ten Thunders Brother’s central position and activated the Torakage, Yamaziko, Misaki and Shang (who wasn’t in range of the Brother, but was in range of Misaki).

Yamaziko went first, healing the Torakage a single wound with ‘Invigorate’ and then walked to within 6” of Misaki so she could use ‘Trusted Mentor’ again. The Brother went next, walking twice and using ‘Melee expert’ to attack Justice. He managed to get the ‘Ten Thunders Strike’ trigger and moderate damage. Lady Justice opted to make a wound prevention flip that stopped all 3 wounds and kept her at full health. He tried to cast ‘Martial Artistry’ once more, but I was unwilling to cheat a mask in for it, so it failed once again.

Misaki went next, using ‘Diving Charge’ to attack Lady Justice, getting severe damage and the ‘Cut Purse’ trigger to perform a ‘Pilfer’ action which I won, stealing one of her stones. Misaki used ‘melee expert’ to attack again. I flipped a 4, and chose to use Shang’s ‘Lucky Charm’ to reflip but it didn’t help against a strong card and soul stone defence, so I let the attack miss. I’d forgotten to use ‘Your Mine!’ after the first attack, but remembered at this point. I followed up with a third and final attack, getting ‘Decapitate’ and another severe damage, forcing him to discard two cards and use his last soul stone for wound prevention, keeping Justice alive on 2 wounds.

Although I had the protection of ‘Your Mine!’ against the Executioner, I was wary of his paired attacks, so I had the Torakage walk into range, used ‘Faceless’ and cast ‘Mistaken Identity to swap places with Misaki so that she could enjoy some distance and the protection of a low wall. Shang went last, moving round the building nearer to my other models and used ‘Magical Extension’ to cast ‘Downburst’ at Justice, pushing the Executioner away from her. The Torakage and Brother were both in range as well, but flipped high on the Df duel, so weren’t affected.

The Judge charged at the Archer, but missed. I cheated a 7 of masks from my hand, even though I was already winning so that I could trigger ‘Hasty Retreat’ and push out of melee.

The Archer then cast ‘Yajiri’ for the extra damage, used ‘Aim’ to use a focus shot on the Judge, but missed. He took a second shot, and managed to hit him for 3 wounds. The Executioner charged into the Ten Thunders Brother, but missed him.

Turn 5

My opponent won the initiative again and started with Justice again. She cast ‘Sword Style’ for the ‘Vengeance’ effect and took a swing with ‘Melee Expect’ at the Brother. She hit him, for 4 wounds, but he triggered ‘Bend as the Willow’. She took a second attack at the Torakage, killing him and giving the ‘Inspiring Swordplay’ bonus to the Executioner. She directed her last attack at the Brother, but missed him.

Misaki walked towards Lady Justice and did another ‘Diving Charge’ on her, killing her and using ‘melee expert’ to attack the Executioner, knocking 6 wounds off him. She then put up ‘Your Mine!’ against him, which would prove to be a mistake…

The Judge took two shots at the Archer, finally killing him on the second. I Companion activated Yamaziko and Shang with the Ten Thunders Brother. Yamaziko tried to cast ‘Invigorate’ on the Brother, but failed and walked towards the Guild deployment zone to help me score max points for my Turf War. Shang charged the Executioner, but missed him as I was at Negative flips due to ‘Your Mine!’

The Brother missed his ‘melee expert’ attack for the same reason, but focused an attack at him to inflict a single wound. The Executioner struck back at the Brother, who was on + 2 defence flips, but unfortunately got the Black Joker for one of them, so was easily killed, healing the Executioner to full thanks to ‘Love the Job’. He used his second attack against Misaki, only managing weak damage, but this was still 4 wounds thanks to ‘Critical Strike’.

Turn 6

I won the initiative and companion activated Shang and Misaki. Shang focus attacked the Executioner, triggering ‘Flay’ for 4 wounds. Misaki used melee expert to attack him as well, getting ‘Decapitate’ but he discarded cards to prevent it, so I had to make do with 4 wounds. She attacked again, but missed. Her next attack was better, killing him. Unfortunately, with Shang in Melee range, I was expecting he’d be easily able to heal himself with his ‘Slow to die’ attack, but I flipped a 12 for Defence and he missed! Misaki used ‘Reckless to walk towards the Judge.

The Judge double walked towards my deployment zone, trying to save some face by scoring Break through. Misaki got a move from the second walk; setting herself up to face him down in the next turn (if there was one).

Yamaziko walked back towards the centre to try and cast Invigorate on Misaki, but she was out of range.

At the end of the turn, we flipped to see if the game would continue and it did.

Turn 7

The Judge got initiative and walked towards Misaki (who stayed put, as he wasn’t within 8” but was probably within 10”) and tried to cast ‘Judged’ on her, but she easily resisted it.

Yamaziko walked back to the Guild Deployment zone for Turf War. Shang charged the Judge, but missed him. Misaki charged and killed Judge with her second attack. He took his ‘slow to die’ attack at Misaki, but missed.

Final Score:

Me:

4VP – More models in opponent’s side of the table and 1 model in his deployment zone

2VP – Pilfered more Soul stones than opponent had at end of game.

2VP – Samael Hopkins killed by one of my models

8VP Total

My opponent:

0VP – No Models in any Table Quarters

0VP – Lady Justice Dead

0VP – No model in my deployment zone

0VP Total

Victory for Misaki!

All in all a really great game and introduction to Misaki. I really enjoyed the dynamic play style and serious killing power she brought to the crew – it’s worth noting that she killed 6 models in this game, pretty much single handed

I made a few mistakes in the middle of the game, most around the ‘Your Mine!” ability (forgetting to use it for the max number of attacks in turn 4 and using it when I didn’t need to on Turn 5 which actively mitigated my numerical advantage), but in general, I feel I played a solid game. I had a plan to attack isolated models (made pretty easy by his strategy) and I stuck to it.

The Torakage was also pretty cool and felt like a very useful model. Ototo wasn’t too great, but on the other hand, he nearly survived Lady Justice’s full fury, and if he had, he would have done some serious damage…

Really enjoyable read. Im really wanting to get misaki but also wanting to expand my ressurs. How ever reading this report i feel you have won me over sir.

She sounds like a really good direct attack master of which i have non at the minute so think i may have for go expanding my current crews lol

Cheers again for a great read :)

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on the victory. I love this style of battle report as it gives a chance for the reader to understand the rationale behind certain actions. If I may be so bold, I’d suggest that a picture or two would break up the text very neatly.

I am in the same boat as Underdog6750 – looking for a change I have picked up the Dark Debts box to get a change from my Guild. I’m going to get some more Ten Thunders miniatures as they are released.

Yea i think sonnia perhaps being able to keep her distance from misaki would have been a good choice. While still being able to lay down some hurt. Also your opponent was a bit too confident in lady js abilites by leaving her in the centre of such a weighty scrap middle board. She was left very exposed after her activation.

But congrats again for the victory and exploiting your opponent like that. You really took his crew apart piece by piece. Nice work:D

Really enjoyable read. Im really wanting to get misaki but also wanting to expand my ressurs. How ever reading this report i feel you have won me over sir.

She sounds like a really good direct attack master of which i have non at the minute so think i may have for go expanding my current crews lol

Cheers again for a great read :)

No worries! Yeah, she's very direct attack. To a certain extent, it almost felt like the rest of the crew were just there for support, which is why I'd consider swapping Ototo for something else - although having the threat of the second melee beat stick probably helped to control what Justice and the Executioner did, so maybe he did serve a purpose... He also took a beating from Justice, which opened her up to take some serious damage from Misaki...

She was great fun to play -'Your Mine!' is probably her most complex ability, but 'Diving Charge' was the real winner for me - it meant that I could strike from a position of safety almost every turn, and on several turns, she killed everything that could get to her... She's fast and deadly, and setting things up to get 'stealth' kills gave the game a real 'Bat man' vibe, which I enjoyed - I thoroughly recommend her!

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on the victory. I love this style of battle report as it gives a chance for the reader to understand the rationale behind certain actions. If I may be so bold, I’d suggest that a picture or two would break up the text very neatly.

Thanks! If you like this one, feel free to check out my other reports (link in my sig) if you haven't already! (Shameless plug!)

I agree about the pictures, and I'm intending to try and get some for a report one day. In this case, I didn't have anything painted which would have left it a little unimpressive sadly...

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

What a shutout. Nice work, FearLord. Even if you are now a filthy Guild deserter.

I can't help but think any Guild master would have been a better choice for a Misaki showdown than Lady Justice.

Not really a deserter, so much as a vacationer ;-)

Yeah, I'm not sure that Justice was the best choice either. He owns all four masters, but he's only just picked up Perdita and Hoffman, and hasn't built their boxes yet. We are also halfway through our Achievement league, and he'd used Sonnia for his previous games and wanted to start scoring some points for using a different master...

I'm not sure who I would have preferred really though - Sonnia would have been nasty, but Misaki could still have quickly closed the distance between them, and she'd have had even less chance once Misaki got her in melee range. Hoffman would have been interesting, but Armor and Protect wouldn't have helped much against all those Decapitates I was getting, and the standard Hoff ball would have just left more targets in range...

I think Perdita would probably have been the best option overall - she's also speedy, and can deal damage up close and at a distance and could use Obey to mess with some of the careful setup that the support crew seemed to be running...

Justice had her strengths though - potentially any model that survived could have attacked back hard with Melee expert from her - she strikes me as someone who you have to maximise the opportunities to attack against, so when you get one, you need to be able to strike back as hard as you can.

Her defensive trigger was also a concern. A key moment in the game, was when Justice attacked Ototo - if she hadn't flipped the Black Joker on the damage, he might have been able to kill Ototo and still walk away. He had been intending to use defensive stance, but forgot, so that would have given him much better odds - on his last AP, he was forced to cheat the 12 of Masks in after I cheated to make sure he got the Onslaught trigger off. He had been saving that card for a defense flip to try and get a nasty Riposte on Misaki. As it was, he'd burned right through his masks by the time I went in...

Thanks for the report, sounds like a good game.

I would have thought that Justice would be a good master to face Misaki. She has plenty of wounds, and the nasty ripost trigger, and if Misaki doesn't kill her in one activation, then she probably isn't going to get another.

Sonnia strikes me as too fragile to survive the diving charge, and Perdita doesn't have quite the same damage as Justice.

I think your opponent should be more aggressive with the executioner, its at its best in combat, but its still a good result.

Its nice to see what peopel do with the new models, to not get stuck in 1 way of thinking about them.

Good luck with her next excursion

Thanks for the report, sounds like a good game.

I would have thought that Justice would be a good master to face Misaki. She has plenty of wounds, and the nasty ripost trigger, and if Misaki doesn't kill her in one activation, then she probably isn't going to get another.

Sonnia strikes me as too fragile to survive the diving charge, and Perdita doesn't have quite the same damage as Justice.

I think your opponent should be more aggressive with the executioner, its at its best in combat, but its still a good result.

Its nice to see what peopel do with the new models, to not get stuck in 1 way of thinking about them.

Good luck with her next excursion

Thanks!

Yeah, the Diving Charge would be what I would worry about with Sonnia - Once Misaki got into Sonnia, I don't really see what chance Sonnia would have...

The Executioner was interesting in this game - he spent the early turns facing off with Ototo. He was wary of throwing him into combat with Ototo because he wouldn't be able to kill him easily, and the same was true for Ototo... Neither of them could reach each other and kill the other, so whoever struck first would most likely have been killed...

I was wary of Justice and the Executioner for much of the game, so they were probably sensible model choices...

I'm not sure who I would have preferred really though - Sonnia would have been nasty, but Misaki could still have quickly closed the distance between them, and she'd have had even less chance once Misaki got her in melee range. Hoffman would have been interesting, but Armor and Protect wouldn't have helped much against all those Decapitates I was getting, and the standard Hoff ball would have just left more targets in range...

I think Perdita would probably have been the best option overall - she's also speedy, and can deal damage up close and at a distance and could use Obey to mess with some of the careful setup that the support crew seemed to be running...

With C. Hoffman, direct engagement would be a mistake. I'd feed her RoBros, and pop the scrap. It's all theory for now though.

Perdita would be my choice too.

With C. Hoffman, direct engagement would be a mistake. I'd feed her RoBros, and pop the scrap. It's all theory for now though.

Perdita would be my choice too.

Yeah, I think you could be on to something with the scrap detonation, but I'd be worried about him getting in that close to her really - if he's close enough to detonate, she's close enough to get to him without much effort, and it would only take a couple of decent Ram cards to make him sweat - I think I'm right in saying you tend to play him Soul stone light (just cache) like I do, which could be an issue when trying to avoid losing his head...

Perdita doesn't really have anything flashy that would help her against Misaki, but she has a solid stat line, including a Df slightly higher than Misaki's Cb, which is probably the best way to stop Misaki from killing you, and she has the ability to shoot at Misaki, even if she's poised to Diving Charge from behind terrain thanks to Bullet Bending... Getting damage on Misaki seems key - I was relatively safe in this game, but I was still down to 4 wounds by the end, even having made a couple of healing flips, so taking her down isn't impossible...

I think the big thing he was missing though was Austringers - a couple of Austringers would have really helped threaten Misaki a little...

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Being a long time Perdita player that has recently switched to Misaki...Perdita would be my choice.

Although McCabe...combine Strange Metal Shirt Armor and Paired attacks with his speed.........could be very competitive against her as well.

Yeah, McCabe I think can mix it up a bit, but I don't massively rate armor against Misaki, unless you've got a pile of soulstones and you're hanging onto cards just to stop decapitates going through... He is fast though, and that counts for a lot against her I think - with most of his minions being Wk 4 or 5, it wasn't hard to chase anyone down during this game...

In any event, as it was a league game, we weren't allowed proxies...

Yeah, McCabe I think can mix it up a bit, but I don't massively rate armor against Misaki, unless you've got a pile of soulstones and you're hanging onto cards just to stop decapitates going through... He is fast though, and that counts for a lot against her I think - with most of his minions being Wk 4 or 5, it wasn't hard to chase anyone down during this game...

In any event, as it was a league game, we weren't allowed proxies...

Decapitate is deadly, but it isn't the only way she ruins you're day. If she doesn't have the Rams, she is still doing lots of damage and she doesn't ignore armor. McCabe should be running around destroying the rest of her crew and if he gets stuck in and caught by her, his Df should be pretty high.

Misaki is a serious melee specialist...and anyone going against her will have a hard time.

Decapitate is deadly, but it isn't the only way she ruins you're day. If she doesn't have the Rams, she is still doing lots of damage and she doesn't ignore armor. McCabe should be running around destroying the rest of her crew and if he gets stuck in and caught by her, his Df should be pretty high.

Misaki is a serious melee specialist...and anyone going against her will have a hard time.

Reading the rules for Mounted models again, it seems he could palm off a first Decapitate on to the horse anyway, which immediately makes him an interesting option against her - even if he's caught short without cards or soulstones to discard, he can use his mount as a 1 use ablative armor...

Great read as always. It was interesting to read about TT in action and they seem like a very fast and deadly crew. I agree - Peterdita would probably be a better choice against Misaki and I'd love to read a report that would show these two go at each other ;) It also seems to me that your opponent made some bad choices with schemes - breakthrough isn't just a good option, especially in the scenario in which you must be careful to keep your models alive.

Thanks Viruk. May try and organise a game against Perdita soon, as it might prove interesting - next up though is Lilith this Thursday, which I'm also looking forward to - hoping to write that one up as well, assuming it's a good game!

Yeah, I think his scheme choices could have been better, but I would have decoupled on strategy in his shoes... He went for break through on the basis he had to get into my table side anyway, but I think he should have allowed for schemes that would let him move as short a distance in as possible. I don't think Bodyguard was too bad, although I didn't see the point in keeping it hidden - I was shocked he didn't go for 'Frame for Murder' as that seems like one of the best to take against Misaki really - even announced on a key minion it will likely get points it seems...

In my experience bodyguard doesn't work that well on LJ as she died in each game I played her. Might be my lack of experience but still, she's not that tough once opponents concentrate all the means they have on her.

Unless your opponent has a strong ranged / magic element (which you can see before you pick the scheme), you know your opponent will have to be wary of attacking her in melee - the combination of a few high masks and soulstones mean that she is potentially deadly to attack for some minions (and even some masters). I was very vary of going into her with Misaki in this game, at least until I was confident that she'd dropped enough cards and stones to be exposed...

Frame for Murder seems like the best scheme to drop against Misaki, but I'm not sure what the runner up would be in this situation... Its also worth noting that as this game was part of our achievement league, we score a league point for each scheme we can score victory points for in a game, so there is little advantage to taking the same one again, if you've already got it earlier in the league - I'm not sure which ones he'd already done, so this may have effected his choices...