Escalation League: and Mei Feng

Rameses

Starting in January, I'll be participating in a Escalation League that will be starting at Master +10SS to start and 5ss per "increase".

So I was thinking I'd take Mei Feng since I just purchased her Crew and will be getting some Torakage and Archers in December. All I need to do is convert some Clockwork Traps and I'm gold.

That said here's what I think I'll be starting with and I'd like input

Ten Thunders Crew - 10 - Scrap

Mei Feng
--
5 Pool

• Clockwork Trap
    [2ss]

• Clockwork Trap
    [2ss]

• Ten Thunders Archer
    [6ss]

My thoughts are to build the hand for a turn or two for Mei, while the Archer is taking pop shots at targets of choice. Then I'll have Mei "railwalk: terminus" into melee. The Archer will still take pop shots at targets of opportunities.

What do you think?

well, 2 of your 3 models are insignificant so you are probably not going to do well for most strategies right off the bat. 10ss is really small so having a sizable crew to start is really out of the question. I would try replacing the traps with a Fire Gamin. Hes significant and mei can bounce off him with rail walker. I see your idea for the traps use but at this low of a game, they are not the best choice.

2 large steam punk archanids would be golden at this level but that's taking her down the archnist route

...If you don't want to go down that route then yeh replacing the traps for one significant model is the way to go - the archer also plays very backfield which could make some getting up there and doing things strats trickier - also if he get engaged....it could be messy

In all honesty at this low a game, you need to focus on getting VP, and I just don't see anything in your set up that will do that.

Do you pick a 10 ss list and have to field that for the month regardless of what Strategy?

I have to rate the Desperate merc for this as you can use Mei's cache to turn it signifigant if required.

And what do you do if your opponent doesn't go near the traps? Railwalking only gives a 3" melee radius and Mei has to be within 6" of the Trap. I don't see the traps living long enough to be used as a Terminus as I would only move something near enough if I strongly expected to kill it on the same turn.

10ss is crazy small! If i was playing with my vicks it seriously would be just them, 8ss pool and a desperate merc!

you are going to struggle vs some ranged nasties with just a single archer (nino comes to mind.) perhaps be a tad more aggressive and just use 2 ronin, their hard to kill and ability to ignore armour coupled with harmless make them excellent minions. You could also sacrifice them if needed to get some more stones into the pool.

well, 2 of your 3 models are insignificant so you are probably not going to do well for most strategies right off the bat. 10ss is really small so having a sizable crew to start is really out of the question. I would try replacing the traps with a Fire Gamin. Hes significant and mei can bounce off him with rail walker. I see your idea for the traps use but at this low of a game, they are not the best choice.

Hrm... good point. I'll have to give this a practice try.

Also be careful with Mei Fengs (0) Vent Steam if you plan to continue to get shots in with the archers as well. They will not be able to see her to take shots if she has it up.

Yea I have considered that too.

2 large steam punk archanids would be golden at this level but that's taking her down the archnist route

...If you don't want to go down that route then yeh replacing the traps for one significant model is the way to go - the archer also plays very backfield which could make some getting up there and doing things strats trickier - also if he get engaged....it could be messy

I'm staying away from the Arcanist list for Mei in this League, but thanks!

In all honesty at this low a game, you need to focus on getting VP, and I just don't see anything in your set up that will do that.

Do you pick a 10 ss list and have to field that for the month regardless of what Strategy?

I have to rate the Desperate merc for this as you can use Mei's cache to turn it signifigant if required.

And what do you do if your opponent doesn't go near the traps? Railwalking only gives a 3" melee radius and Mei has to be within 6" of the Trap. I don't see the traps living long enough to be used as a Terminus as I would only move something near enough if I strongly expected to kill it on the same turn.

Yes, it's a 10SS list for the month with +5SS adds each month after. Though the list can vary each month after the first.$$

10ss is crazy small! If i was playing with my vicks it seriously would be just them, 8ss pool and a desperate merc!

you are going to struggle vs some ranged nasties with just a single archer (nino comes to mind.) perhaps be a tad more aggressive and just use 2 ronin, their hard to kill and ability to ignore armour coupled with harmless make them excellent minions. You could also sacrifice them if needed to get some more stones into the pool.

Good point, I'll have to give Ronin a try. And yea it is a crazy low Soulstone count. The league I've been told is setup to try and bring new players into the La Crosse area.

At a 10 stone cap on the crew I think you should run 2 rail workers and make sure you have vent steam up upon the conclusion of mei's turn. Low tombs in your hand will provide the rail workers A2 if they get shot at as you plod up the board. Mei can also toss A2 on them with her zero action or trigger.

With good use of terrain you can get mei and her workers in position to make a pretty healthy strike. The rail workers will help with objectives and apply some pain once they are in melee range. You can also set-up objective grabbing with use of their slow to die action. It is always a ball buster when an opponent kills a model via range and they use the slow to die to make an interaction with an objective.