Would square bases cause a problem during gameplay?

iamfanboy

I have yet to actually play Malifaux, but I've purchased a number of Malifaux minis to use for other purposes (RPG sessions of Deadlands and Shadowrun, to be specific); however, my holding trays for them are sized for 25mm and 20mm square bases, not 30mm rounds. Would it significantly alter gameplay if I were to put Malifaux minis on square bases (25mm ones, to be exact) so I may store and display for RPG sessions, but still use for actual games of Malifaux? While I haven't yet played the game, I do love miniature skirmish wargames, and I happen to like at least one or two heroes from each faction, so I wouldn't mind prosletyzing the game up where I live. However, if square bases are going to be an issue regarding actual game play, then I'll have to come up with another solution. Maybe putting them all on 20mm ones and creating a 'holder' for the same size as the usual bases... Thanks for taking a look at my question.

magnetize them so you can pop em on top of a 30mm base for malifaux purposes

This seems like an elegant solution.

And yes, given that base size can be important for things like melee range (knowing how far you can hit things, and how far away they can be and still hit you), or maneuvering in tight spaces, using smaller bases for figures could prove to be both an unfair advantage and a handicap to you, perhaps simultaneously, but in ways that I don't think it'd be possible to say cancelled one another out.

Round bases for measuring blasts etc. begs the question though - would square bases give an advantage if you were using terraclips scenery? Given they have the handy grid system marked on?

No moreso than using round bases, imo.

A full terraclips board does have that built in as a possible issue if it's a matter of contention between the players, but personally I don't mind/care about it, as it cuts both ways, as long as it isn't being obviously and heavily abused. Even speeds up the game a bit when dealing with short movements and melee ranges (3 squares is clearly more than 2 inches, etc), but I know that's not for everyone and like the bases, probably best sorted out ahead of time where possible.

Square bases would, in some situations result in a miniscule advantage and in others a miniscule disadvantage. I would't have any problem playing against someone with square bases in a non-tournament environment. Most likely I wouldn't have a problem in a tournament environment either, but there I could see someone not liking them.

Square, or even hex bases, really only come into play in games that care about model facing. [Although some round based games do take some pains to show us that different models have different front and rear arcs.]Malifaux opted for round bases to say that in the heat of combat, the models are paying attention to their surroundings in all 360 degrees.

Maybe instead of the typical movement trays, go with the ones with the rounded inserts to stand your round bases in. There's a Lilith crew on here where someone made their own display stand in such a way.