how to stay alive with misaki

Learning Curve

Can you be more specific? How often have you played with her? What do you typically play against? When in the game is she dying?

I think the key with Misaki (and for that matter, with other melee beat-stick masters) is knowing when to make your move. Overextending on turn 1 with her (which is very easy to do) can get you into trouble. Leaving a master unsupported against an opponent's entire crew can get any master in trouble (yes, even LCB). The normal stuff still applies: use terrain wisely, know when to companion bomb, and save your soulstones for defense buffing, etc.

Here are some tricks I've found useful.

1. Shang and Downburst: Shang is very mobile, can companion, and can easily cast Misaki's Downburst spell. You can either cast it on Misaki's target to clear everyone away. (Edited because you can't self target w/ Downburst).

2. Not killing your target on the initial attack. Using Diving Charge to get in close to a group of your opponent's minions, hitting a couple, and then saving her (0) You're Mine until the end of her activation has kept her alive in some pretty nasty situations. You can get so many attacks that if you're able to stick it out in a group of 2-4 minions, you can clear half of your opponent's crew away on your next activation.

3. Yamaziko. This should speak for itself.

4. Torakage. I've thrown away a Torakage to keep Misaki alive on couple of occasions, and I don't regret it. Mistaken Identity is a wonderful tool.

Edited by WaywardSun13

The primary tip is don't put her in a position where she can die.

She isn't designed to face hordes of monsters, she wants the one on one duel.

Use Yamizako (sp) to give her fast rather thna reckless and to heal her if needed.

Use Shang to allow her to reflip duels when needed. Use YAmizako to heal shang as well.

Don't walk on train tracks and look both ways when crossing the road.

For better advice we might need to know more details on how she dies. There is another thread in this section discussing her survivability which might be worth reading.

Torakage smoke, swap, Yamaziko heals and Oiran luring her back out are all things that keep her alive.

She doesnt thin out hordes like Lilith and Viktoria. Dont over commit, have the support there for her. Sometimes just the threat of her coming in will be enough to manipulate the board for you.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I have also found useful is to NOT always kill your opponent with Misaki if her target is near 1-2 other models. What I mean is if you are going to drop her into a fight where she is out numbered. Make sure you have her (0) You're Mine and don't kill your target. That way she gets the benefit while your opponent may activate one model near her. After just use a Torakage to do Mistaken Identity and finish off the target that was almost dead. This gets Misaki out of the way, and you probably still get to kill the original target.

Not saying this always works, but if she is in a situation where she is outnumbered, it is sometimes better to let the 'target' live with low wounds so she gets a defensive boost via the - to card flips by other models. Otherwise, I find Misaki best for taking out models that are all alone. However, there are obviously models where this won't work easily. For example, I don't see Misaki easily taking down Kang unless you have a nasty hand even if he is by himself.

Misaki does best when she can catch a model out on its own, and then can be pulled back easily by a Torakage.

Against those like Kang she really will have to likely burn a stone, possible two, if you have to see them dead that turn. You also need to have at least two good and a decent card you are willing to use. Ideally you also have what you need for decapitation to force them to burn additional cards or let you get a lucky quick kill.

Misaki as I have found seems to favor a calculated approach, not necessarly cautious but one that you weigh what you are capable of. As most minions can't use Soulstones it is far easier to predict against them then masters too. The things to look at are Damage Reduction talents, Hard to Kill, and Wound count. Defense is also important but it becomes more of a target number, you wanting to know what their Df+13 is. Against Kang you notice he has hard to Kill but no damage reduction abilities himself *so be mindful of any Metal Gamin he might have* and he actually has lowish wounds for being a considered a beatstick and survivor. But his healing capability makes it so that in a turn or two mid game he is fully recovered and late game it might only take one turn. So doing the run in a single turn would be best.

With his health and Hard to kill, you are going to want 3 attacks and all to hit, which becomes annoying and thus why you might need 2 soulstones. Ideally you would aim for two moderate damage followed by a weak to kill him, a severe is wasted on him due his wounds and HtK. Severe is only needed in the off chance your first hit was a weak, but should you get severe by flip on the first hit at least it means you only need 2 weak hits. Still alot of places it can go wrong, thus why I hold onto the black joker so often if I get it. But that is how I approach Misaki when she is head hunting, deciding what I need and what I can reasonable expect.

So far I have found that she has died several times, though to be honest it was generally against something like Lilith and it was not always Lilith that finished her off. Sometimes it was that she took down the master and something else before being pulled down by minions *after they had killed my Torakage*.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my first game with Misaki last night - and despite me throwing her at any fight to see what would happen, she survived. Having shang use his "lucky charm" was vital on one occassion, "your mine" came in handy against the coryphee duet and the torakage switch would have been great if I hadn't flipped the black joker.

still the vast majority of wounds she suffered were self-inflicted by reckless. She strikes me a soul-stone hungry master as you'll be needing to healing flip more with her than with others.

pilfer might help with this, but I'd advise bringing a ronin in the crew, regardless of strategy, for the possiblity of seppuku alone. In my game I took 2 and they actually were some of the better models - I considered seppuku as I was out of stones by the start of turn 5, but fortunatly didnt need it.

crew (for shared supply wagon)

misaki, 7ss

shang

taelor

ten thunders brother

2 ronin

torakage

Yamaziko would solve most of the problems you experienced Joel - less damage from Reckless, and a (0) healing spell to cover damage you do take...

Desperate Mercs could also help with their healing flip when they die ability...

I had my first game with Misaki this week as well, and I really enjoyed it! There's a battle report in the Battle Report forum if anyone is interested in seeing how I dealt with her survivability...

Edited by FearLord

Yamaziko would solve most of the problems you experienced Joel - less damage from Reckless, and a (0) healing spell to cover damage you do take...

Desperate Mercs could also help with their healing flip when they die ability...

I had my first game with Misaki this week as well, and I really enjoyed it! There's a battle report in the Battle Report forum if anyone is interested in seeing how I dealt with her survivability...

yep, I totally agree - I can't wait for her release and will have to find a proxy to use in the meantime (probably use the minion misaki for now) - Yami might not be totally essential, but I think you'd need a very good reason not to include her in every miaki crew. :)

will check out the battle report asap.

Yeah, I've been really liking Yamaziko, and not just for Misaki either... She's quite a tool box and it never hurts to have another model with 'Use Soulstones' in your crew!

Hope you enjoy the Battle report - it was a really great game, and I'd thoroughly recommend her as a fun master to play - certainly I think I enjoyed her more than I've been enjoying Mei Feng (who is a bit tricky to get the best out of), but I'll give Mei another chance to wow me once Metal Gamin and Clockwork traps are released!

Edited by FearLord

I have to agree with Fearlord, I am also finding Misaki a bit more likeable than 10T Mei Feng. I am really finding that Mei is very strong as an Arcanist, but not as much as 10T. Perhaps with the inclusion of traps that will change, but straight up I place her down my list a ways.