Hidden meanings all over Malifaux

thaehl

Edit Some More: The Honey Pot, in addition to being a general reference to a part of female anatomy, is also a spy operation in which an asset is seduced and the results of that seduction are used as leverage against the asset.

Honey Pot also happens to be a commonly used term for portable toilets, especially those used in the military such as the ones installed on old aircraft which were not equipped with lavatories (such as the still heavily used C-130).

Honeypot is also a computing reference: 
In computer terminology, a honeypot is a trap set to detect, deflect, or, in some manner, counteract attempts at unauthorized use of information systems.

Generally, a honeypot consists of a computerdata, or a network site that appears to be part of a network, but is actually isolated and monitored, and which seems to contain information or a resource of value to attackers.

EDIT - Threadomancy Alert!

ORIGINAL POST:

There has been a similar thread recently here that includes some of the above suggestions, and more.

In a blatant attempt to earn more 'likes' can I point out again that I spotted that Howard Langston is the character played by Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Jingle All The Way"!

Also I thought I read somewhere that the Wastrals were inspired by the gang of thugs in A Clockwork Orange?!?

I can totally imagine Howard saying "Nyaaargh GET OUT!" the Arnie way

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Some more: 
Wastrels - the Wastrel with the sideburns leaning on his pickaxe is clearly a reference to Alex DeLarge, the main character in "A Clockwork Orange". Heh, I guess that the Guilty minion from the "Guilty As Charged" starter box, the one on the chair, is also somewhat of a resemblance? :D
Sidhir Alchibal - Captain Nemo I/Prince Dakkar from "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" 
Seamus, Resurrectionist Avatar of Dread - Mr. Hyde from "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"
Steam Chest - possibly based on The Luggage from Sir Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series
Insidious Madness - possibly based on Tzeentch's Pink Horror daemons from Warhammer 40,000 or the Gibbering Mouther monsters from DnD/Pathfinder fame. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11.2.2017 at 8:56 AM, Scalpelexis said:

Ash upon your tongue! 

Baba Yaga is an Eastern Slavic Myth, not a Russian one... big difference there. 

;)

well not exactly. There are several such entitys subsummed under the Baba Yaga Archetype, spread as far as eastern Syberia.

Zipp: Zapp Brannigan from Futurama?

It follows then that... The First Mate: LT Kif Kroker, 1st Mate to Zapp Brannigan.....might also explain his ability "Menacing Croak", Kif KROKER was NOT menacing in the slightest. But that is likely a stretch.

Titania: Might be a reference to Shakespeare's fae character of the same name.

Could the Autumn Knights be references to more Shakespeare plays? Each seems themed around a season. Would need to re-read things like A Midsummer Night's Dream and Twelfth Night to see if there's any connection. Maybe somebody who has a better memory could chime in on this one?

On 20.2.2017 at 5:16 PM, argailwall said:

I think that one of the convict gunslingers is Danny Trejo

Most definitly.

Also, I'm pretty positive the Guild is modelled after the East India Trading Company - especially if you read Sandeep's story in Ripples of Fate you get the impression.

Also, if McMourning is partly based on Frankenstein, the Flesh Consturct in his box is Frankenstein's monster.

The Mechanical Rider reminds me of that one rider figure in the Animatrix.

Tannen and Graves remind me of Finch and Mullet in Tad William's Otherland.

7 hours ago, the tick said:

Zipp: Zapp Brannigan from Futurama?

Titania: Might be a reference to Shakespeare's fae character of the same name.

Could the Autumn Knights be references to more Shakespeare plays? Each seems themed around a season. Would need to re-read things like A Midsummer Night's Dream and Twelfth Night to see if there's any connection. Maybe somebody who has a better memory could chime in on this one?

There weren't any Knights in Midsummernight's Dream, but Titania is definitely the mythological Fae queen (it's far older than Shakespeare). 

Moreover, the way Lilith, Zoraida and Dora are presented in M1E books, they were definitely inspired by Shakespeare's three witches around a cauldron (Macbeth, I think?)

oh, and Zipp is definitely cpt. Brannigan, it's evident from his speeches in the Ripples of Fate story

9 hours ago, Seadhna said:

There weren't any Knights in Midsummernight's Dream, but Titania is definitely the mythological Fae queen (it's far older than Shakespeare). 

Moreover, the way Lilith, Zoraida and Dora are presented in M1E books, they were definitely inspired by Shakespeare's three witches around a cauldron (Macbeth, I think?)

While the idea of Fae queens is older than Shakespeare, he did name her Titania. They were typically nameless in the Fae legends and the name was nicked from an unrelated source.

The three witches are on the other hand much older than Shakespeare, e.g. The Fates (in Greek mythology), the Norns (in Norse), and he didn't really add any details to them in Macbeth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...