Hidden meanings all over Malifaux

thaehl

Justice is not based off Neil Gaiman's character though I could see where folks may think that.

Alps are nasty buggers, look them up.

Doppleganger precedes Hellraiser. :)

Nicodem and Mortimer weren't based off Birk and Hare, though those are two very interesting historical characters.

Baby Kade was created by my wife and based off our youngest in his hell raising moments. :)

This one

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alp_(folklore)#_

The weird little vampire creatures

On topic of vamps penny, is a Vietnamese vampire as well

Dam this game has lot them when you think about it

English Ivan is a dead ringer for Charlie Bronson the British Criminal, not the Actor.
Not quite what I had in mind when I was making him up, tbh - but if that's what he makes you think of, go with it :)

Somebody mentioned that the McM alt is a reference to Bruce Campbell... Can anyone expand on that one? I'm missing something lol
It is the Seamus Alt, which is based on the Army of Darkness movie poster (which is in turn based on a Frank Frazetta painting)

Somebody mentioned that the McM alt is a reference to Bruce Campbell... Can anyone expand on that one? I'm missing something lol

You mixed that one up.. the Seamus Alternate is a refernce to bruce Campbell for the movie poster of "Army of darkness" (which itself is a reference to Starwars posters *g*)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

EDIT - Threadomancy Alert!

ORIGINAL POST:

There has been a similar thread recently here that includes some of the above suggestions, and more.

In a blatant attempt to earn more 'likes' can I point out again that I spotted that Howard Langston is the character played by Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Jingle All The Way"!

Also I thought I read somewhere that the Wastrals were inspired by the gang of thugs in A Clockwork Orange?!?

I agree that McMourning is totally Herbert West, including the severed head in the tray! (right out of Re-Animator film)

I always thought the Punk Zombies were a reference to the movie Return of the Living Dead, where there are several punks that become zombies. The tagline was "back from the grave and ready to party"

• 2 weeks later...

Remind me of the babe- Labyrinth. 
Silurid- species of catfish.
Leveticus - another biblical reference who happens to look like the new doctor who.
Austringer -A keeper of Goshawks
Lone Marshall - oh I do wonder...
Jackalope and Wendigo  - american (indian?) folklore
bad juju...the amulet or doll his soul is trapped in
Freikorps and Vonschill - historical prussian military
Fingers..Fingers McGee
Tannen - the dry bitter taste in wine?
Lucius has a taste of Robespierre (if you ignore the facts and follow the fiction)
Pathfinder - well there's always that god awful movie where the Norsce are Chaos Knights......
all of Kirai models are mythical references, or atleast occult/supernatural references
the new Rogue Necromancy is a fat chimera that's put on too much weight to use it's wings.
Doxy a mistress or prostitute
Ashigaru - historical Japenese foot soldiers
Angelica ... just don't paint her blonde in a pink dress
Vasilisa more Russian folklore
alps - german folklore
Nix - Nyx Greek goddess...I think not
Amanozako Japanese goddess 
Mah Tucket  either a take on Gary Pulsons Character or a pollution davy crocket? 
McCabe usually associated with Indiana could be a combination of him McCabe from McCabe and Mrs Miller

I see a lot of Mags Bennet from Justified in Mah Tucket, but maybe that's just me.

Edit: And Gracie, in addition to being an homage to Jack Burton's Porckchop Express, was also the name of his love interest, played by Kim Catrall. Oh, and Big Jake was a John Wayne character, or a reference to one, I think. Lizzy Lovelaces references Ada Lovelace, co-inventor of the first computer, and famous patricide Lizzy Borden...though very, very sadly, that's apparently not her name any more.

Edit Some More: The Honey Pot, in addition to being a general reference to a part of female anatomy, is also a spy operation in which an asset is seduced and the results of that seduction are used as leverage against the asset.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The Thalarion stone's probably from HP Lovecrafts "Dreamlands" - Thalarion is a city inhabited by strange beings that used to be humans.

Sonnia's upgrade Cherufe's Imprint is a reference to the creature from Mapuche mythology - and evil humanoid made of lava.

Samael Hopkins is an obvious reference to Samuel Hopkins the witchfinder general

The executione is visually reminiscent of Edward Scissorhands

The wendigo is a flesh eating monster that was once a human who turned to canabalism because of the cold.

The Corryphee is a rank in a traditional ballet troupe

The neverborn have 3 masters representing the triple goddess maiden (pandora), mother (Lilith) and crone (Zaroida)

The Waldgeist is a german forest spirit

Hammelin - the pied piper

Jack Daw - jackdaw, the bird

Leveticus - the book of Leveticus in the bible

And the Hollow Waifs To the earth return (Ecclesiastes 12:7)

Ashes and Dust (ashes to ashes, dust to dust)

Lazarus - the guy Jesus resurrected in the bible

Hans - pretty sure this guy is Vash from Trigun

Hans' "Smile you son of a..." - famous line from Jaws

Ama No Zako - Amanazako an evil Japanese god 

Lady Ligeia - Edgar Allen Poe's short story of the same name

Shang - named after the Chinese dynasty

Kamaitachi - Kami from Japanese mythology

Shenglong - Streetfighter

Komainu - protectors of Japanese shrine

• Like 2