'You're a Mean One, Mr Lynch...'

DangerousBeans

Received Thursday afternoon, finished Sunday night ready for their first outing tomorrow! Well, ok I have to finish the bases but that's about it.

post-1497-13911925322886_thumb.jpg

Here's the man himself

post-1497-13911925323349_thumb.jpg

.... and a close up of the Hungering Darkness (AKA: Nibbles, the Angry Mutant Tadpole). I purposefully painted this very dark so as not to draw attention to it! It's a very, very disappointing model.

post-1497-1391192532396_thumb.jpg

And the Beckoners. Oddly enough, I found the one with the cane to be one of the best of the plastics, while the other was among the worst. Very odd considering that they're on the same sprue.

post-1497-13911925324575_thumb.jpg

Overall, I'm still not thrilled with the new medium. However, I trust Wyrd and can accept that it may take a while to get everything up to par. Looking forward to 10T box with more anticipation than trepidation certainly.

edit: I can't seem to get rid of that shine. Hopefully matt varnish will sort it.

Edited by DangerousBeans

At second look, the color choices strike me as even more inspired. Things look like a sepia-toned photograph, with bursts of color - kind of like a cross between steampunk and the Sin City film. I love it. I really hope you have plans for a display base for these - they'd look even more amazing with an appropriate backdrop.

Also, the songs stuck in my head. Thanks for that, you seasick crocodile.

Cheers for the kind words guys. Most of the brown were painted either khemri brown or calthan brown, washed with Agrax Earthshade (no more Devlan mud :( ) and highlighted by adding bleached bone to the base, it's pretty much how I paint everything! It has the benefit of being easy, quick and the 'washed out' effect it gives lends itself to Malifaux well.

The Hungering Darkness was a bit of a slop-job as I'm basically using it as a placeholder until I can find a good proxy. He was based Necron Abyss, washed with drakenhof nightshade (stupid names) and then drybrushed with layers of NA with some bleached bone added for each layer. Then he was washed with Druchii Violet and Biel-Tan green. Took all of 20 minutes, excluding drying time.

As for a display base.... sounds like a lot of hard work. He'll live in my Malifaux drawer with the rest of my crews.

edit: I really wouldn't consider the cards 'freehand', they're just 'dot dot dot, dot dot dot, dot dot BIG DOT'!

The Hungering Darkness was a bit of a slop-job as I'm basically using it as a placeholder until I can find a good proxy.

I'm hoping Wyrd learns from this model, and maybe gives us an alt sculpt. ill be following your lead on finding a proxy, as that is the only model stopping me from playing his crew.

I'd like to reiterate JMGs comments about the style of the painting. i really love it! I'm in to keeping things simple as well. that style fits this crew perfectly.

I love the concept of the HD, the artwork and even 3D render were awesome. It just really didn't translate into reality too well and felt like I was painting something from a kinder egg.

I certainly hope that in the future they have images of the painted minis instead of the renders, as what you see is most certainly not what you get.

@ Stinko: I think I know what I'll be using as a proxy, unfortunately it's not released yet. I was also thinking about using something Lovecraftian, like a Shoggoth or something.

The detail on her was appalling. Her hair was completely smooth with little to no definition, the detail on her shorts almost blended in with her skin, I had to basically paint them on! Not to mention that the figure is just horribly proportioned, spindly wee arms and quite ridiculous cleavage.

Rant over!

Thanks for the great responses guys!

• 2 weeks later...