Lucas as 10T

Blog

What do you see becoming really good choices for him in 10T (besides Wastrels).

for those who have ran him as 10T, are you still using hounds? does not having the soulstone boost affect list making?

Just trying to get a general idea of this guy. I want to like him and If I got him I would just be running him as 10T.

I haven't done any extensive testing (or even thinking) about this yet, but I'd imagine I would be playing him Wastrel and Trap heavy to take advantage of some Torakage 'Mistaken Identity' shenanigans...

Guild Hounds are still cheap objective grabbers though, so I'd be tempted by a pair, especially if I was taking Luna anyway...

It would likely be a crew with some pretty extreme mobility, so great for objective grabbing and hit and run stuff...

Lots of things depending on the situation.

Kang or Ototo for some melee power.

Yamaziko....with the Strangemetal shirt and the invigorating bridle, he is hard enough to kill already...can you imagine having Yamaziko healing him also?

Lucas is 10T, so the Torakage swap works on him.

10T Bros can companion with him.

Oiran for buffing and luring.

Sidir coupled with a 10T archer would make a formidable firing platform...Sidir's larger base could block the archer from view and the archer can choose to ignore an intervening model.....the archer stinks in combat, but anyone silly enough to get that close to Sidir is asking for trouble.

Of course Wastrels and Riflemen will always be good with him.

I love Lucas....I see a lot of options for him. I've proxied him several times....he is a ton of fun to play.

I probably wouldn't use hounds with him as pure 10T. I don't think they are worth it without the SS rebate....I'm a big Marcus player and I never use them with him either.

I probably wouldn't use hounds with him as pure 10T. I don't think they are worth it without the SS rebate....I'm a big Marcus player and I never use them with him either.

I'd argue that they wouldn't be very useful for Marcus, mainly because he has access to better models at that points cost (like Night Terrors) - for McCabe, I'm not sure that's true in the same way... I wouldn't invest heavily in them, but they can work well with him and his totem and can also help bulk out activations (along with Traps) so you could easily out activate an opponent, and take advantage of that with extreme speed to strike without reprisals....

I'd argue that they wouldn't be very useful for Marcus, mainly because he has access to better models at that points cost (like Night Terrors) - for McCabe, I'm not sure that's true in the same way... I wouldn't invest heavily in them, but they can work well with him and his totem and can also help bulk out activations (along with Traps) so you could easily out activate an opponent, and take advantage of that with extreme speed to strike without reprisals....

I can't argue with you about the Marcus point.

I just can't see the dogs being that great unless you invest heavily in them. What's not heavy? 2 of them? They die so easily...just losing one you lose their significance. IIRC, Luna is significant...so she doesn't need them. They can't do enough damage to take things down, so you need several of them to really be worth it, but then you're spending a lot of points on dogs. I'd rather just spend the points on models that can kill things and have a better chance of staying around.

I'm not totally against them, I do like them. But I've run a couple Lucas lists with 5-6 dogs and they haven't returned their points for me (even running as Guild). Yes it can be a lot of activations, especially with a Pathfinder. But when you need hitting power, there are only a couple models that have it, and when you try to make hounds do the job, they get stuck in and die. I haven't given up on it, there are still some tricks I need to work on, but so far they have all died.

BTW, this is the list I've been using:

Guild Crew - 35 - Scrap

Lucas McCabe
--
6 Pool

+ Relic: Glowing Sabre [2ss]

+ Relic: Invigorating Bridle [1ss]

+ Relic: Strangemetal Shirt [3ss]

Luna [3ss]

• Guild Hound
    [3ss]

• Guild Hound
    [3ss]

• Guild Hound
    [3ss]

• Guild Hound
    [3ss]

• Guild Hound
    [3ss]

• Guild Pathfinder
    [6ss]

• Sidir Alchibal
    [8ss]

Yeah, I think that may be too many hounds... Luna is significant, but she can also make them significant too, so her + 2 hounds should be a nice cheap way to bulk out activations with some speedy models, without having to sacrifice too much in terms of hitting power and 'proper' significant models... I have found a small group of hounds is good for early game objectives as they are extremely quick and can deal with some things before they lose each other and significant. Alternatively, held safely till late game they can often make a run for an objective from a long way out...

Luna also means they aren't effected by McCabe's gun, so you could use them as a way to get better hits with it potentially...

Finally, if you're playing against Ressers or certain other lists, they can be very useful, especially for Ten Thunders who have no other specific 'Anti Corpse Tech' and a load of living models - they can both bury corpses and get a (1) Charge at models carrying them, which makes them pretty efficient hitters for the points cost...

I've been giving this some more thought, and I think Yin might actually be a pretty good choice for him as a Ten Thunders Master - there's some pretty good synergy between his 'Braying of the Hounds' spell and her 'Anathema' ability...

She can float up to people, Harmless and quite hard to hit any way - she gives models she's engaged with -1 Wp from her entrails, then McCabe casts 'Braying of the Hounds', using a Soulstone to make it harder to resist, then anyone she's engaged with needs to pass a Terrifying -> 12 duel at -3 Wp, or flee, taking a 'Wicked' disengaging strike with -2 Df...

It could tie down pretty much any model in the game (although immune to influence models would only get -1 Wp)... She can also give 30mm based Ht 1 or 2 models slow, which works well with McCabe (both his scheme and abilities).

She isn't cheap, but certainly something to think about...

I played a game with him the other night as 10T and I only hired one hound with Luna. It was nice, the extra movement, the +1 SS to pool, and having them both significant.

Yin: There are so many possibilities with the 10T options....we haven't even scratched the surface. But I like the Yin idea....with Lucas' affinity for Guardsmen and Black Sheep I can't see using her often, but she could be a nice surprise once in a while.

What about austringers? A premier guild minion, staple of many lists, can be hired by Mr McCabe :)

Well yeah, but I thought the point of this was to come up with things he can do as Ten Thunders, but not as Guild? Sure, he can still take Austringers as Ten Thunders, but where is the benefit over using the same in a Guild Crew?

Just realised he can hire the Drill Sergeant as well - not sure if its really better than Luna (although without Guild Kennels, her value drops a little), but he can be linked to a melee beater (like Ototo or Kang) to improve their chances of hitting - not the most explosive combo in the world, but something to think about...

Although I have one, I don't think I've ever used it so I don't really remember his rules.....but doesn't he give some buff for shooting...which would help a Riflemen list.

Yeah, he's got a (2) action that puts up a 4" aura that gives a + flip to friendly Guardsmen ranged attacks, which he could still use as well as the + flip for a linked non master model (as this is an ability that is always on) - I would probably always prefer Luna in a Guild list (because of the advantages of Guild Kennels, but he seems to have some potential in a Ten Thunders one...

I can't remember if the Drill Sergeant's paralyze removal spell only works on Guardsmen or not, but if it doesn't it kinda combos with Wastrels and their Reload... Twice trigger.

That's pretty cool. Tough choice between those buffs and a decent magical extension....McCabe's spells are both (1)'s and both good......and if he takes the Reactivate one, Luna can cast that too.

I suppose in different list types.

Edited by dgraz