Mei Feng's crew - Too much fun?

Nayte

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be writing more in my blog later, but I thought I'd toss out this tidbit. I ran Kang with two railworkers and two miners, as well as other stuff, against Nicodem. Thanks to the miners, I was able to pull of a companion Alpha strike at a key moment, decimating my opponent's crew, and nearly toppling Nico. He was able to bring out a ton of zombies, but he could not escape from Mei and the miners who just kept after him, finishing him off in the following turn.

The main reason I bring this up is because Kang facilitated much of that success. He was able to put up his cb boosting aura, and killed a flesh construct, giving all living a positive twist. Once this was done, a railworker dropped two dogs, another dropped a punk zombie, Mei and a miner mangled Nico, and controlled his objective. Without the boosts from Kang, I'm not sure I could have put on as much pressure as I did. He is definitely a worthwhile piece if used correctly. And Mei is not as Construct dependent as people seem to think.

I ran mei + kaeris last night vs lady J. The guild austringer and nino ignored mei's fog and tore me up trying to get across the board. But kang and mei really did a number on Lady J when they finally got there.

Nino shouldn't be able to ignore the Vent Steam as it is an Aura. Hunter only ignores terrain.

@bruglyother how did the Rail Workers compare to the Union miners? Even though Kang gave then a benefit with his aura and :+fate twist, do you think 2 Large Spiders would have been more effective with better damage and melee expert in the same situation?

I think the miners and the Rail workers are comparable to some degree. The Workers have a little more versatility, and some more survivability in some situations, although the miners do well just by not being there. As for the spiders, in this case I would have to say no, spiders would not have been better. With the spiders I would not have been able to get off the alpha strike, which really is what handed me the game. Without the alpha strike, I would have been subject to his activations and taken significant damage as well. The alpha strike allowed me to go through about 60% of his crew, cards, and stones before he could do anything, as well as set up some things to improve my own durability.

I've been playing around with the concept of a living M&SU crew ever since I learned about Kang, and have recently started putting it on the table since I finished up my miners. The addition of the rail crew seems to be what the crew needed. It hasn't had a lot of table time yet, so I'm not sure how it will fair in many situations yet, but it was fun to play, and it did very well for me this time.

Great write ups

I tend to agree Kang really does seem like the odd one out in her crew....he wants living models crammed together she wants constructs spaced apart

I'm feeling he'll do better in a 10T construct light crew - using tokas to set up a kang-a-pault with the triggers may be interesting heck he may even see more use in misaki led crews....or lych or even elite Mcabe lists - but just becuase she CAN rail walk does mean she only has to....even 1 or 2 constructs more for terminus in, slap someone, and leave - as has been said constructs are her thing but not her only thing maybe

Think the rail worker/golem pairing alone is going to be interesting....can see a nice list with the emberling piggybacking the golem and 2 large steamborgs and 2 railway workers making up the meat of the list...really wish I ordered the golem now :-(

I may even drop a steampunk for a gamin, but thats a lot of points in a little buble

Edited by Sniddy

Well with my order finally here I've got her built and have ideas going around my head atm... Someone mention the Coryphée which I think could be good for setting up a Railwalk but in that regard I'd be running a Construct list with her rather than a living list...

This is one idea I've came up with so far...

Arcanists Crew - 35 - Scrap

Mei Feng
--
5 Pool

Emberling [2ss]

• Coryphée
    [7ss]

• Coryphée
    [7ss]

• Large Steampunk Arachnid
    [5ss]

• Metal Gamin
    [5ss]

• Rail Golem
    [9ss]

I'm sure that is going the scare most who look at it but I don't know how it's going to actually play...

Well with my order finally here I've got her built and have ideas going around my head atm... Someone mention the Coryphée which I think could be good for setting up a Railwalk but in that regard I'd be running a Construct list with her rather than a living list...

This is one idea I've came up with so far...

Arcanists Crew - 35 - Scrap

Mei Feng
--
5 Pool

Emberling [2ss]

• Coryphée
    [7ss]

• Coryphée
    [7ss]

• Large Steampunk Arachnid
    [5ss]

• Metal Gamin
    [5ss]

• Rail Golem
    [9ss]

I'm sure that is going the scare most who look at it but I don't know how it's going to actually play...

I would consider a rail worker rather than the large arachnid (or the metal gamin), getting burning tokens on the Rail golem is going to be very useful I think.

Im actually really considering taking the soulstone miner in my Mei Feng crew in place of the large spider. It can be a big beat stick when it wants to be. It can tunnel to a location 8 inches away giving Mei Feng an unexpected yet advanced Railwalker point all the while remaining safe during the set up. Finally any wounds that it inflicts upon its self from either making soulstones or losing melee master can be passed on to a metal gamin who will just heal up with a + Flip. Thoughts?

Edited by Twisted Metal

I have had similar thoughts as well twisted. I believe when she comes out this month I am going to start with her, emberling, rail golem, metal gamin, kaeris, student, and a ss miner + 6ss cache to try out at first.

I really want to try duet with her but the duet, golem, and kaeris just makes me feel that it is too top heavy to work. I might try running just one coryphee to have room for other stuff but I might not run coryphee with her due to being ale to switch out mei and colette in tournaments.

I agree with your assesment on the stuff it can do to prolong the miner and think it will be good to keep them significant. I feel that model specifically (miner) is one often overlooked model that I would almost always include in just about any arcanist crew due to being able to add to your ss cache as well as being a good decent costed model. That provides a bit of a arcanist only special ability (in that with a miner in your list you always have more ss's than what your cache says you have).

Getting into a more tactical analysis. Seems to me like Mei Feng is utterly grounded the moment she loses her constructs/Workers and being a melee brawler with casting expert does really not pan out well if you can't get in by Railwalker. Anyone felt this problem? Any ideas how to compensate?

I'd say, unless you're playing a really weird crew with her, the majority of her list will be Rail Workers and constructs anyway, so if you've lost them all, you've probably got bigger problems than lack of mobility...

As for the Soulstone Miner, I can see it being useful - she goes through Soul stones pretty damn quick, so any way to get some additional ones would certainly help... I'll mostly be playing her as Ten Thunders though, so I'm salivating more about Clock Work Traps - being able to deploy them up the board with 'From the Shadows' will be very useful for her Rail Walking...

I thought about 10T with her but losing kaeris to me is too much to lose for gaining traps (especially because you can only take 3 unless your brawling with mccabe as your partner) kaeris and a student passing out fast every turn to kaeris or mei on alternating turns is absolutley brutal for the opponent you are facing plus with kaeris you can easily spread out bc's to packed models for mei to chain gang rape with her tigers claw double mask trigger if on first turn or two you handsculpt masks for her to combo out with ala sword vik whirlwind style.

Edited by Odin1981

I'd say, unless you're playing a really weird crew with her, the majority of her list will be Rail Workers and constructs anyway, so if you've lost them all, you've probably got bigger problems than lack of mobility...

As for the Soulstone Miner, I can see it being useful - she goes through Soul stones pretty damn quick, so any way to get some additional ones would certainly help... I'll mostly be playing her as Ten Thunders though, so I'm salivating more about Clock Work Traps - being able to deploy them up the board with 'From the Shadows' will be very useful for her Rail Walking...

Not that wierd, 2 rail workers, a metal gamin, willie, Kang and the emberling is what I'm using. Though I'm thinking the rail golem will be a better choice than Kang

In that case, if it's a concern, I'd recommend dropping Kang and willie for Rail Golem and Metal Gamin / Rail Worker / Large Steampunk Arachnid...

I'm loving the Emberling so far though... I use Seismic Punch to get a first turn speed boost to some models and link him to a model I want to protect with Vent Steam - because Mei has a decent selection of 1 spells, he's got plenty of Utility and the Arcane resovoir is always useful...

It can be hard to set it up so that the push is going to net more than a few models a decent speed boost, but I've been using it to get Kang into the action faster with great effect...

It's a nice little spell for the Emberling actually - I have a battle report I'm hoping to type up soon where I use it to knock Mei Feng and an opponent apart after she ended up in his melee range so he couldn't flurry her - it would have prevented him from seeing Mei for a charge as well if a pillar hadn't stopped him moving the full distance...

I am a huge fan of the Man over Machine style archanist list. I like the viva la revolution. My archanist crew are all painted in red and black witht he anarchist symbol as the team. I run lots of workers and play as a hardy gremlins list. With that in mind I love how mei plays with the list, she is more mobile then ramos (and less reliant on machines) and less taxing on the resources of the crew than Kearis. I think she will make a good addition to the team.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a game with mei feng. Vs Colette 25 stones. Shared treasure hunt. A rail worker was about to be mannequin replaced when I stated I need a red joker to resist and flipped.... The red joker!

Sadly the next turn Kang got replaced needing to resist on 32. In reply mei rail walked and triggered jackhammer kick destroying a performer, going through her and landing in base contact with Colette. 2 tiger claws finished Colette and zero action for iron skin.

Wow!

D.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been playing around with the concept of a living M&SU crew ever since I learned about Kang, and have recently started putting it on the table since I finished up my miners. The addition of the rail crew seems to be what the crew needed. It hasn't had a lot of table time yet, so I'm not sure how it will fair in many situations yet, but it was fun to play, and it did very well for me this time.

I have been thinking of something similar. I was eyeing out some workers, miners, kang, Willie, Johan, Joss etc to experiment with Kaeris and Mei. Let me know how this goes for you. At the moment I need to go model shopping as I only have the miners.