Mei Feng's crew - Too much fun?

Nayte

So I've been playing a lot of Mei Feng lately, and I would like to jot down some thoughts about her and her crew.

This is not a guide, but simply my thoughts on her fitting my play style. This is also only my thoughts on playing her as an Arcanist, not a Ten Thunder master.

First, she has a learning curve. It's not as extreme as Kirai, but it's up there in complication. I do not recommend just picking her up and diving in to a game; you're going to have to study her card. The amount if triggers she has, and knowing when to use them is the key to unlocking Mei's potential. Every single one of her spells and abilities are amazing. This post is more about her crew than her, but stick around; I talk about her interaction with the crew. I'm sure once I had more games with her I'll be able to write a guide.

Second, hiring an optimal crew is misleading. While it sounds like Kaeris is amazing on paper, I've had little luck with her. Don't get me wrong, Kaeris is an amazing 8pt model, but I feel that she eats stones that Mei needs. I feel that Kang is a better option for 8 points; which I will explain later.

Okay, so as far as crew hiring goes, here's my starting list and I build from here:

Arcanists Crew

Mei Feng

Emberling [2ss]

• Kang
    [8ss]

• Large Steampunk Arachnid
    [5ss]

• Large Steampunk Arachnid
    [5ss]

Why large SPA's over rail workers? Well, one part is that LSPA's are one of the best 5pt models in the game. Armor +1, attacks ignore armor, melee expert, brutal trigger, and a solid damage profile. Now the fun part with Mei feng is that they have a 50mm base, which is huge for Railwalker. I usually walk them up the middle of the board, with another construct between them(Rail worker's, Metal Gamin protecting Kang, etc...). This gives me roughly 18 inches of threat range, not including the 50mm base increase over a 30mm base for Rail Worker placement. Rail Workers are versatile models, able to handle most situations, but I prefer the LSPA's. They fit my play style better.

So what about Kang? I'm in love with this model. Everything about him is amazing, except for his walk. He only has a walk of 4, which makes him slow and possibly vulnerable; but I've got a fix for that. While I can't speed Kang up, I sure can protect him. I link the Emberling to Kang turn 1. Turn 2+ the first thing I usually activate is the Emberling and have it Vent Steam, which protects Kang. After this, Kang can go on a rampage, without being able to be targeted. Practice placing your Emberling with link, due to Kang being a 40mm base, he can be seen through the steam. It still gives your opponent negative flips, but proper positioning of the Emberling can stop your opponent from seeing Kang entirely.

If you want to be super dirty, bring a Metal Gamin to protect Kang. This lets Mei come in with Railwalker and provide some backup for Kang.

So why Kang over Kaeris? Kaeris cannot ignore Vent Steam, which is a huge mechanic of the crew. I'm going to keep giving Kaeris a try, but so far she just hasn't impressed me with this crew.

The one thing this crew lacks is ranged damage(possibly fixed with Kaeris?), but to be honest I haven't had an issue getting in close. I'm usually on top of my opponents crew by turn 2 or 3, with most of their crew dead or crippled by the end of turn 5.

I'll be messing around with her more this week, hoping to have her paint job finished. I'll post more in this thread as the days go on.

If you have any questions, ask them here or PM me. I'm no expert, but hopefully I can answer some questions about her and the crew.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Push into base-to-base in Book 1.5 says to place the model in base-to-base with the target. In this case, would the push need to be done in a straight line, or can I place him in base to base on the opposite side.

IE: if the models are on the table as (A B)

push A base-to-base with B

would (BA) be a valid placement or would it have to be (AB)

Sorry, not that good with text diagrams, hopefully the point got across. If not I'll play with paint.

Interesting thought on the LSA. I like the rules for railworkers, but LSA have previously impressed me a lot. Dont fancy assembling another one though, so will find a proxy :P

Also interesting to note your opinions on kaeris. When I'm theorizing, I keep finding kang too expensive, but YMMV. He's a nice model, which means I'll use him :P

So let me try to draw a diagram to show how I position Kang with an Emberling. Excuse my horrible paint skills, but hopefully this helps people understand.

Here is the correct way to position him, to keep him hidden by steam, since it's a 4" aura:

ao2bk3.jpg

---------------------------------------------------

Here is the incorrect way, which I have seen people do. This allows enemy models to see Kang, but they still have a negative twist added to their flip if they are attacking you with a ranged ability. This also allows the enemy to charge Kang, which can be a BIG problem.

sywdx5.jpg

Hope that helps some people out. :)

I'm still not sold on Kang's efficiency at low point levels. At 20SS, I think that Johan does about as much of the heavy lifting, at a 25% discount. And, from everything I've read thus far, Mei wants an almost Rasputina-level soulstone cache, as she tends towards either huge offensive rushes or a flurry of prevention flips when her big push fails. I'm thinking of a list that looks something like this:

Mei Feng [+5SS]

Emberling [2SS]

Large Steampunk Arachnid [5SS]

Rail Worker [5SS]

Renegade Steamfitter Johan [6SS]

7SS Cache

Huge fan as I am of the LSPA, I think there's too much synergy between Mei and the Rail Workers to leave them out entirely (Shovel faster, damn you; shovel faster!) That, and the Worker gives Johan a Solidarity buddy for when Mei has to take care of business elsewhere. I suppose you could sub a Metal Gamin in for the remaining LSPA, but the little guy is a bit on the pillow-fisted side, and he might become insignificant, which is bad news.

One idea I've been thinking about is flooding the field with some regular Arachnids. For a little more than the price of an LSPA or a Rail Worker, you can get two Rail Walker targets -- er, Steampunk Arachnids. Not that I would rely on them exclusively, as you'd need to Swarm to claim objectives and such, but gaining the extra flexibility for Rail Walker might be worth it.

Interesting thought on the LSA. I like the rules for railworkers, but LSA have previously impressed me a lot. Dont fancy assembling another one though, so will find a proxy :P

Also interesting to note your opinions on kaeris. When I'm theorizing, I keep finding kang too expensive, but YMMV. He's a nice model, which means I'll use him :P

Don't get me wrong, I love Kaeris - just not with the Rail crew. She's awesome with Marcus and Ramos, especially with a Student of Conflict attached. I just can't get her to work properly with Mei.

I personally am going to brink ototo instead of Kang. But like you said you haven't tried her with being a ten thunders master yet. I like ototo better than kang, in know he is ht 3 so he is a walking target, but I love his laugh off ability, the ability to heal himself, and if he is below half wounds and in melee with something, it will more than likely die. 5 attacks is pretty crazy. Flurry then melee master is brutal. He too is slow but just so the same thing you did with kang. I love kangs model but I personally will see him sitting the bench for awhile. Ototo is my man.

But this write up is great and I can't wait to hear more about your findings.

@el indio: I too was thinking about sp arachnid slamming the field. Because they are quick and if need be they can swarm together and start hitting stuff. Or vice versa.

Edited by Iamwyrd

In every game I've had with Kang he's been late to the party. He really gets into combat turn 3 or 4 but if Mary is still alive when he gets there he is nearly unkilkable and wrecks what's left of my opponent's crew. I'd almost always pick him over Kaeris for that reason and the reasons listed before. Plus, I think the Kaeris trick works mostly on Mei Feng handing out burning tokens, which in the games I've played, she does very little of that. She is too suit dependant to try to set up that combo (at keast for my playstyle). Mei Feng is very fun either way though.

One idea I've been thinking about is flooding the field with some regular Arachnids. For a little more than the price of an LSPA or a Rail Worker, you can get two Rail Walker targets -- er, Steampunk Arachnids. Not that I would rely on them exclusively, as you'd need to Swarm to claim objectives and such, but gaining the extra flexibility for Rail Walker might be worth it.

I've tried these little guys out too. My problem is that they aren't significant, and almost always die before they can do anything of value.

Johan is a nice piece, but Kang's melee weapon has +2cb and an auto-trigger knockback, which can be huge for certain situations. Making my opponent drop a treasure, knocking them away from Claim Jump or Stake a claim, smacking them into hazardous terrain, or knocking them off a high terrain piece(Killed someone by them falling off the top of a building, it was awesome!).

Any one tried her with out constructs? Wondering if she just falls flat without railwalker.

Without constructs, or without even Rail Workers? I'm sure you could try a Railwalker-less crew, but why deliberately cut off all access to one of your Master's spells? It's like playing Colette without a single Showgirl, or Ramos without any constructs -- possible, yes, but at that point you're deliberately handicapping yourself.

I personally am going to brink ototo instead of Kang. But like you said you haven't tried her with being a ten thunders master yet. I like ototo better than kang, in know he is ht 3 so he Jabar walking target, but I love his laugh off ability, the ability to heal himself, and if he is below half wounds and in melee with something, it will more than likely die. 5 attacks is pretty crazy. Flurry then melee master is brutal. He too is slow but just so the same thing you did with kang. I love kangs model but I personally will see him sitting the bench for awhile. Ototo is my man.

But this write up is great and I can't wait to hear more about your findings.

Thanks!

If I take Mei as a 10T Master I will be maxing out Clockwork Traps for 6ss and going from there. Until those guys are out though, I'm sticking with Arcanists. Taking her as a 10T seems to hurt her more than help her, at least with the models that are currently available.

Not that it's always a major consideration, but for Mei Feng's scheme, you want your railwalking line to be largely significant so you can put down rail markers as needed. Obviously you know if you need that, but when taken, I think the bump up to significant models is worthwhile (fire gamin at 4SS aren't a bad option in that case).

In every game I've had with Kang he's been late to the party. He really gets into combat turn 3 or 4 but if Mary is still alive when he gets there he is nearly unkilkable and wrecks what's left of my opponent's crew. I'd almost always pick him over Kaeris for that reason and the reasons listed before. Plus, I think the Kaeris trick works mostly on Mei Feng handing out burning tokens, which in the games I've played, she does very little of that. She is too suit dependant to try to set up that combo (at keast for my playstyle). Mei Feng is very fun either way though.

Mary?

Edited by Dracomax

So what about Kang? I'm in love with this model. Everything about him is amazing, except for his walk. He only has a walk of 4, which makes him slow and possibly vulnerable; but I've got a fix for that. While I can't speed Kang up, I sure can protect him. I link the Emberling to Kang turn 1. Turn 2+ the first thing I usually activate is the Emberling and have it Vent Steam, which protects Kang. After this, Kang can go on a rampage, without being able to be targeted. Practice placing your Emberling with link, due to Kang being a 40mm base, he can be seen through the steam. It still gives your opponent negative flips, but proper positioning of the Emberling can stop your opponent from seeing Kang entirely.

I know he's not quite as resilient as Kang, but I feel like Joss might fill that beatstick role just as effectively as Kang. He's the same speed, but with the ability to gain reactivate on a key turn. The biggest plus being that he's another construct, adding a bit more railwalk potential to the crew. With paired attacks, flurry, and the ability to ramp up damage, he'll do more damage than Kang could.

Being a construct also helps prevent him from getting isolated and focused on by opponents, since Mei can just teleport over and together with Joss, tear any threats apart.

Edited by decker_cky

Hmmm...anyone considered the Mechanical Rider? She costs the same as Kang, but is much, much faster -- and is a 50mm Construct, to boot. With Power Manipulation, she can be pretty resilient when she wants to be (Armor +4, Hard to Kill). Mounted Combat can slide her around to soften a target before Mei Railwalks in to finish the job. An interesting option, if nothing else.

And here I thought I was done buying Malifaux models. ;)

What is everyones thoughts on Metal Gaiman? The seem to be absent from this discussion entirely.

I think a pair, each linked to Mei on the ends of your line could be very good. One will always be insignificant, but they're nice solid anchors, and even when Mei isn't at an end, they can quickly close ground to support Mei if she gets stuck by using a move-move-(0) charge which covers a solid distance. Mei will likely be around one of the gamin, or within a link since a 5 link chain would spread your lines out too much.

Without constructs, or without even Rail Workers? I'm sure you could try a Railwalker-less crew, but why deliberately cut off all access to one of your Master's spells? It's like playing Colette without a single Showgirl, or Ramos without any constructs -- possible, yes, but at that point you're deliberately handicapping yourself.

Yes and no. For collette for example she just sucks with out showgirls. That makes her crew options much more limited than some other masters. Marcus on the other hand plays very well with beast being a secondary thought rather than main focus. Sure he cant heal but pulling from the larger range of models works well for him. Looking at him you would say you must go beast heavy to play him but its not true. thus i ask if any one has tried her th out constructs. Torakage heavy perhaps.

Yes and no. For collette for example she just sucks with out showgirls. That makes her crew options much more limited than some other masters. Marcus on the other hand plays very well with beast being a secondary thought rather than main focus. Sure he cant heal but pulling from the larger range of models works well for him. Looking at him you would say you must go beast heavy to play him but its not true. thus i ask if any one has tried her th out constructs. Torakage heavy perhaps.

Malifaux is about mobility. Mei's big mobility tool is railwalking. Railwalking requires constructs (or Railworkers). Ergo, Mei needs constructs.

Marcus is an exception in list building, because all his main abilities are simply things he does for himself. He only really has three abilities that boost beasts:

-He can waste an (0) to get a beast to activate another beast after him (too many other good 0 action/spells.

-He can howl, which boosts nearby beasts and weakens the Wp of nearby enemy models.

-He can heal beasts with a spell that's way too hard to cast.

All his other abilities either boost marcus, turn enemies to beasts, or hurt enemy beasts.

Mei has other nice abilities for sure, but without railwalking, she's something akin to a single vik, which is a nice combat piece, but too slow to dictate the flow of a game like masters should do.

What is everyones thoughts on Metal Gaiman? The seem to be absent from this discussion entirely.

I mentioned them briefly in my post. I think they're decent models for protecting something in your crew. They're boss for Kang + Emberling. My problem is that they are 5pts, and that's a lot to invest. Totaling 15pts for a wrecking machine bubble is pretty rough(Kang, emberling, MGamin).

On a side note, I dislike the model itself. It's super flimsy and I panic every time it gets moved on the field. The chunky one is the only one I can use because it won't snap in two.