Vanessa the Treasure Hunter

Zerous

I really hope that they eventually do a Malifaux 2.0 with a complete overhaul of every model, bringing them all up to the same iteration of the rules with a view to consistency across the board.

Me too.

At 9ss, Rail Golem outshines so many other models from that slot. Joss, power counters, cute, but not nearly as awesome as having other models in your crew stoke up the number of burning tokens on the Golem.

[Again with the discrepancies between tokens and counters...A counter, for good or ill, should be something on a model. A token is a representation of something separate, be it a corpse, some scrap, that can be picked up or dropped.]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the main reason Aetheric Demands was given to her was to stop you from taking the arcane efffidgy, which to me would make the vikis a little broken. In theory the student of conflict gives the same effect but with the arcane effidgy you would habeben able to get the extra AP and still have some mobility.

After that I don't see any arcane constructs I would really take. I might take the rider or a LSA but I think Taelor or Johan are good replacements for them. But I might try them if I already had them, but not worth the extra purchase.

Even without the constructs I think vanessais good for the vikis to consider an auto include. I personally want to see them destroy kirai. Vanessa attract which does 2 damage to everything in 2 inches is magical and not a pulse. So in one shot you destroy all the seshin in base contact with kirai, and she can't really stop it.

There is a ruling out there (can't find it right now) that prevents more than one Aetheric Demands per Master. Try it in the Crew Creator and you see that you can't do Vanessa and the Arcane Effigy in the same Scrap crew. Matter of fact, the only way you can seem to get an Arcane Effigy in with Vanessa is by playing a Brawl level game with another Master that can select the Effigy.

anyways, I agree that Vanessa is just about an auto-include. Once people start to see what a third point of Sisters in Spirit does for a Viks crew they will be delighted, let alone all the other things she does for the Viks. Magical shooting, card manipulation, her spells.... honestly, I think she was given Aetheric Demands because her with a Student would be just gross...

as for a Construct to take from the Arcanists... I think the Mech Rider will offer a nice change for the Viks. Taelor is great, but for a SS more you get so much speed... and speed is something the Viks generally love. (not that other's don't) Likewise, it will be hard to not take a rail Golem in some instances...

IMO, Fast from the Student is better than just an extra cast AP, anyways. So take VonSchill instead of the Effigy, and he can bring the Student along to help any models you keep near him at any given time.

Outcasts Crew:

Viktoria; Von Schill [9ss]; Student of Conflict [3ss]; Vanessa, Treasure Hunter [7ss]...

Still leaves 16ss at 35ss level or 11ss at the 30ss level. It's a bit stone intensive, but still nets some good models and leaves room for choosing aViktoria and an Arcanist model.

Speaking of which, the Soulstone Miner works so much better at gaining stones when it's on the offensive, picking off stray models on their last legs, than it is just sitting there grinding out stones until it dies. The Vikies are great at getting models to their last legs in hurry.

• 2 months later...

A bit of a necro here, but regarding Vanessa and the Hodgepodge Effigy..

Aetheric Demands would normally disallow both of these models to be taken at the same time, but wouldn't Hodgepodge's "Misfit" ability overrule this?

Misfit: Crews led by Outcast models may hire this model ignoring any Abilities that would prevent it from being hired.

Shouldn't misfit then ignore Aetheric Demands on Vanessa and thus be hireable itself?

The past two games I've played the Vikkies, this has been my list:

@25ss:

Viks (7 cache)

Vanessa (7)

Steamborg Executioner (11)

I'm loving it. Vanessa is just great, be it the extra point of SiS, the free Whirlwind trigger, or giving Sword Vik slow to die for a clutch healing flip or (if i have the cards) a hilarious deathbed whirlwind.

This list, though small, is hyper mobile and hits like a city bus with Keanu Reeves behind the wheel.

Although I like the Steamborg, I didn't think he'd be the best choice for a non-Ramos, non-Hoffman crew. I may have to give him a try with the Viks, though.

What Vanessa really keeps looking like to me is more reason to play brawls. Pay the penalty for the Viks as a second master, but bring along Vanessa and an Arcanist friend in a Guild, Resser, Neverborn, or 10T crew.

Although I like the Steamborg, I didn't think he'd be the best choice for a non-Ramos, non-Hoffman crew. I may have to give him a try with the Viks, though.

Other than clockwork traps in my TT lists, he is the first construct I've tried (aside from running Joss with the Viks, but with perfect machine, he can't really count). I had no complaints. He's tough and he's scary, pulling attention away from the Viks (which is great).

I play against a Resser mostly and Vanessa can really mess with the corpses I'd be giving him with a living crew. We haven't been playing brawls recently, but I'd love to stick the girls and a robot friend into a shooty McCabe Guild list. Treasure Hunters galore! I can't wait.

What I love about the idea of the S.B.E. in a Viks crew is it gives them a (more) controllable terrifying model, with some resilience shenanigans, and a fantastic combat rating paired 7. Not to mention it's got flurry AND melee expert- if this thing starts next to a model, it's gonna hurt.

The terrifying is the icing for me though- because short of Killjoy or Jackdaw (which are spooky for control). Even if it rarely goes off, when it does I'll finally get to use sisters in victory, make 'em both pop over to their enemy and make a strike each.

Maybe because of his "Complex Machine" since he counts as both a living and a construct... my guess or he just got overlooked

Good call. I can't remember off hand if her rules specify Non-living, in which case the Steamborg executioner can't be selected.