McCabe vs. DuBois: We couldn't steal the goddamn sandwich.

Jonas Albrecht

IMAG0141.jpg

Pictured left to right: Lucas McCabe - Mounted, Lucas McCabe - Dismounted, Guild Hound, Luna, Sidir Alchibal, Wastrel (Petrified Feather), Wastrel (Strangemetal Blade)

Lucas McCabe horsed it up yesterday against my oldest and loveliest foe, Tuesday and the Showgirls.

Malidoodles Inc, in association with Pepsi, presents:

Battle Report: McCabe vs. Colette duBois

Strategy: Shared Claim Jump

25 Soulstones

Tuesday, Arcanist Layabout

Bodyguard (Colette duBois), Sabotage

Colette DuBois - 3 Soulstones

-Cassandra

-Performer & Mannequin

-Oiran x2

Jonas Albrecht, Guild Legend

Bring 'Em Back Alive, Steal Relic

Lucas McCabe (Invigorating Bridle, Staghorn, Strangemetal Shirt) - 4 Soulstones

Luna-

Sidir Alchibal-

Guild Hound-

Wastrel (Petrified Feather)-

Wastrel (Strangemetal Blade)-

Round 1

Initiative: Showgirls

The claim is represented by a size appropriate pond located next to a pumping station. The terrain is mostly trees and rocky outcroppings with some building ruins scattered. Tuesday placed a dollhouse sandwich on Colette's base, declaring it the relic and daring me to come and get it.

Cassandra makes her confidence run.

Oiran 1 makes a double move toward the center of the board.

McCabe drags Luna, Guild Hound, and Sidir along with "Keep up!".

Colette 'girl-a-ports Cassanda into the Oiran's place, and then spends to Reactivate.

Sidir advances and takes a shot at Cassandra, misses, casts Camouflage on self.

Cassandra activates and double moves to a tree on my half of the board, Sabotaging it.

Wastrel: PF responds to this by using a secret passage, popping out of the tree to try and stab Cassandra. Sadly, she misses with her Backstab attack and Harmless ends for the Wastrel.

Mannequin companions with Iris the Performer. Iris advances toward the center, the Mannequin heads towards Colette.

Guild Hound and Luna head towards McCabe.

Oiran 2 advances toward the pumping station.

Wastrel: SMB Secret Doors and then walks toward the center.

Colette reactivates, makes a soulstone, and retreats towards her side of the board.

Round 2

Cassandra tries and fails for Sublime performance. She then fails to hit with and then, despite using a soulstone, fails to cast Breathe Fire, sparing the Wastrel a flamey death.

Sidir moves to Cassandra and tries to melee Cassandra. He flips the Red Joker for the attack, but then gets the Black Joker on damage. Cue Price is Right fail music. He follows this up by casting Camouflage on himself again.

Mannequin Companion activates with Colette, moves to her, and Links. Colette spends to Reactivate, and does a Mannequin Evac to pull Cassandra to safety.

McCabe moves to the Claim Marker. Sidir, Guild Hound, and Luna Keep Up. McCabe takes a shot at the Mannequin, hitting it and catching Cassandra in the net, but missing Colette. McCabe takes a second shot at the Mannequin, who pulls the Black Joker. This time Iris is caught in the net.

Oiran 1 activates and moves.

Wastrel: SMB secret doors to Oiran 2, backstabbing her for 6 wounds, killing her. I then remember what my second scheme is and facepalm.

Colette retreats with Mannequin in tow and makes a Soulstone.

Guild Hound and Luna double back to circumnavigate the pumping station on their way toward Colette.

Iris makes it to the pumping station.

Wastrel: PF also heads to the pumping station.

Round 3

Colette Disappears Luna, but fails to get the trigger. Spends to reactivate and makes a Soulstone.

Wastrel: SMB double moves to get behind a wall.

Cassandra Breathes Fire on Guild Hound, hitting him for 3. The Guild Hound makes it's Morale Duel.

McCabe moves up and Net Guns the Mannequin, killing it and catching Colette this time. I gain the first kill necessary for McCabe's scheme. He follows up by casting Stunner!, hitting Colette. However, she Blinding Flashes to swap with an Oiran. After a bit of rules noodling, we decide that this means the spell fizzles, since it has no Slow to turn into Paralyze. I will get my revenge later by forgetting that McCabe has slow.

Oiran fails to cast Lure, tries again but McCabe successfully resists it.

Sidir moves to melee Iris, hits her for 2 wds.

Colette reactivates and continues a cowardly run from Guild justice, heading for the left side of the board.

Guild Hound charges Cassandra, doing 1 wd.

Wastrel: PF finally makes it to the pumping station.

Luna comes back, and is placed in severe terrain the maximum distance from Colette.

Round 4

Cassandra melees the Guild Hound to death in two attacks, and then retreats towards her edge of the board.

Luna runs to Colette and tries to Steal her relicSandwich, but fails because dogs have no willpower.

Colette Magician's Duels Luna twice for 2 wds, and then spends to reactivate.

McCabe net guns Oiran 1 and catches Cassandra (who flips the Black Joker in her dodge attempt). He then rides up to trample the Oiran, but misses.

The Oiran then goes and casts Lure on a target I failed to write down and promptly forgot.

Wastrel: SMB secret doors to the Oiran and hits her for 1 wd.

Iris tries unsuccessfully to disengage from Sidir, so she Mesmerizes him instead.

Sidir fails to cast Empty Magazine, casts Camouflage on self instead.

Colette reactivates, killing Luna with Magician's Duel and makes a Soulstone.

Wastrel: PF Secret Doors (I love this ability) to Iris and stabs her for 1 wd.

Round 5

Initiative: Treasure Hunters (finally!)

McCabe netguns Cassandra, catching the Oiran as well. He then uses Keep Up to move the Wastrel: SMB.

Cassandra Breathes Fire on Wastrel: PF, flipping the Red Joker (and then the Black Joker for the extra damage). She catches McCabe and Sidir in the blasts, but McCabe ignores it thanks to his Bearskin Armor. Cassandra casts it again, killing the Wastrel and catching the second one in the blast this time.

Wastrel: SMB stabs the last Oiran, killing her for the second point needed for McCabe's scheme. He then shoots Cassandra, getting the Reload... Twice trigger, but only flipping weak damage for 3 wd. It gains Paralyzed.

Iris fails to hit McCabe with Expensive Gift, so she just shoots and kills the last Wastrel instead.

Sidir spends his turn failing to kill Cassandra with his Machine Gun.

Colette reactivates to make a Soulstone.

Round 6

Initiative: Treasure Hunters

McCabe spends his entire turn shooting at Cassandra, killing her for the final point needed for Bring 'Em Back Alive.

Colette activates, swaps with Iris, and Disappears Sidir.

She then reactivates, and heads to the claim marker.

Iris activates, but is unable to get within 3" of the claim marker.

Final Score

Colette du Bois

Claim Jump: 4pts

Bodyguard: 2pts

Sabotage: 2pts

Total: 8 pts

Lucas McCabe

Claim Jump: 0pts

Steal RelicSandwich: 0pts

Bring 'Em Back Alive: 2pts.

Total: 2pts.

Winner: Tuesday

I really like McCabe, but I played him badly. I failed to design my relic kit around my opponent, and relegated him to the role of Net Gun turret and minion dragger. He's got a rich array of abilities that I am eager to try out. The Wastrels are amazing assassins, thanks to secret door. Make sure you set up their first attack properly, as it can really put some damage on a figure. Sidir didn't have much to do this game, since no one really attacked McCabe. I think my Dogs-as-relic-stealers might have seemed like a better plan, but it was a terrible idea in pratice.

This was a pretty great game. (I wish we'd taken a picture of Colette's be-sandwiched base. That little plastic thing is my new favorite 'eh, here's something for an objective marker' item.)

Things got kind of dire for me in the middle there-- I think I made a few mistakes when it came to managing my hand and soulstones, and the Oiran in general. Not getting them close enough to enemy models to get Eavesdropper, and then forgetting to use it when they were close enough, for one thing. And then I forgot about the Mannequin's Fixable ability, which could've prevented losing it and limiting Colette's ability to pull people out of danger.

McCabe was interesting to play against. I look forward to waving more relics in his face, and then pulling them back when he reaches for them, in the future.

Sounds like a good game - I was thinking throughout that the Oiran didn't really seem to do an awful lot...

Can you describe what 'Keep Up' and 'Stunner!' do (I assume 'Stunner!' is a spell that paralyses models that have slow?)

Great to see some of the new models in action - Wastrels are starting to sound really good for the points - I like the Secret Passages ability and a combination of stuff seems to make them able to hit pretty hard for the points...

I had sort of forgotten that a lot of his abilities haven't entered into the community knowledge well yet, so if you see something you're curious about, feel free to ask.

Keep Up is a pulse that lets friendly models within 6" push 4" towards the model.

Stunner is a spell that inflicts Paralyze on a model that was Slow.

Seriously liked seeing McCabe in action. Excited to try him out once I get my book.

Are those spells or actions? 0/1/2? Range on Stunner?

Spells for McCabe: (1) Stunner!, (1) Braying of the Hounds

Spells for Sidir: (0) Camouflage (worth the 8 points all by itself just about), (1) Empty Magazine, (1) Hunting Screen

The range on Stunner is 10" or 12". I left my book at home, sadly.

Keep Up is a (0) action.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Incidentally, that pulse, combined with his ability to hand out slow and his movement speed makes McCabe ideal for Steal Relic. Which is just absolutely appropriate.

Spells for McCabe: (1) Stunner!, (1) Braying of the Hounds

Spells for Sidir: (0) Camouflage (worth the 8 points all by itself just about), (1) Empty Magazine, (1) Hunting Screen

The range on Stunner is 10" or 12". I left my book at home, sadly.

Keep Up is a (0) action.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Incidentally, that pulse, combined with his ability to hand out slow and his movement speed makes McCabe ideal for Steal Relic. Which is just absolutely appropriate.

What does 'Braying of the Hounds', 'Empty Magazine' and 'Hunting Screen' do? (I assume Hunting Screen is his obscuring terrain ability?) Do McCabe and Sidir have other (0) actions or are these abilities I'll be going for every turn with them?

What does 'Braying of the Hounds', 'Empty Magazine' and 'Hunting Screen' do? (I assume Hunting Screen is his obscuring terrain ability?) Do McCabe and Sidir have other (0) actions or are these abilities I'll be going for every turn with them?

Braying of the Hounds is a spell that gives the target -2 Df and WP. Empty Magazine is a pulse that gives models Slow, and Hunting Blind (derp) is the obscuring aura.

For other (0) actions, McCabe has Dismount and one other that I cannot remember.

Sidir has his (0) that gives a bonus against modes on 40 and 50mm bases.

Thanks! Well the dismount will be once per game at most, although I'm not entirely sure how often that will come up anyway - sure your get a few bonuses once you go on foot, but you also seem to lose quite a bit as well, so I think I'll generally only dismount when forced to...

Does 'Empty Magazine' deal damage as well or just slow?

Thanks! Well the dismount will be once per game at most, although I'm not entirely sure how often that will come up anyway - sure your get a few bonuses once you go on foot, but you also seem to lose quite a bit as well, so I think I'll generally only dismount when forced to...

Does 'Empty Magazine' deal damage as well or just slow?

Just Slow, and if they already have Slow they get pushed 3" away.

How is he reaching def 10-11?! I heard his defense was on the low side.

While it's true his Defense starts out as 5 while mounted (6 while dismounted), he gains +1 Df for each model he's engaged with, up to +3. With Camouflage on top of that, you get 10 while mounted, and 11 while dismounted (he keeps the ability even when not on his horse).

While it's true his Defense starts out as 5 while mounted (6 while dismounted), he gains +1 Df for each model he's engaged with, up to +3. With Camouflage on top of that, you get 10 while mounted, and 11 while dismounted (he keeps the ability even when not on his horse).

Each model after the 1st. so +1 Df for 2 enemies, +2 Df for 3 enemies, +3 Df for 4 enemies.

Still makes him really tough to kill as he has a good Melee range.