10 Thunders painting ideas

Yew Arcane

Ok, I dont even have them in hand yet, I am choosing to be patient and wait so I can get misaki. This is for ideas of the color scheme of the models. I am thinking of incorporating orange as out is the faction color. The rail crew will probably be orange and blue (blue is the color I chose to represent m&su members), but I am at a bit of a loss on how to paint the thunders and how I should handle the bases. I have ben painting the outer eing of my model bases in the color of their faction, but with dual faction I am at a loss, should I just paint them one color our both?

Hi Tenki,

I'm looking forward to the Ten Thunders releases too. The Misaki sculpt especially is organic and fluid, which gives the miniature a nice vibe.

For your bases, I would recommend emulating the bases that the Wyrd painters used for the Kirai boxed set. I think they are easier to make than they look. I don't know if this is what the studio did, but it's what I'd do: Take several toothpicks, and using a hobby knife, carefully cut each tooth pick so that it fits within the restrictions of your base size. You know you've cut your toothpick down perfectly if the tip of each side just touches the elevated lip of the base. It might take about five toothpicks to fully cover the base. After, use thread to tie a few of the toothpicks together in bunches of two - this is to represent the knots in the bamboo floor as seen on the Kirai Crew bases. You do not need to tie all of the tooth picks together. Take maybe four out of the five you might use to cover a 25 mm base and tie them in two groups of two. Then, glue all the parts together with super glue to create your base insert. Simply glue it into your plastic base, drill a hole to pin the miniature's feet, and you are good to go!

As for painting, I like your Arcanist scheme. It seems really cool, especially since Blue and Orange have a nice effect when viewed simultaneously. To paint Misaki, I would use GW Tausept Ocre foundation paint (or a similar shade from a another company) as a base coat before washing it with a mix of GW Devlan Mud and GW Ogryn Flesh. Apply highlights with the base coat mixed with increasing amounts of GW Bleached Bone to achieve a paler yellow effect.

For the flowers, if you want to do free hand, I would use GW Snakebite Leather dimmed with a little GW Chaos Black.

As for the Torakage, I think a black ninja color scheme would fit the fluff well. I would basecoat their robes a mix of GW Regal Blue and Chaos Black for a nice, midnight dark blue base, which looks like black but is more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, followed by highlights of the base coat mixed with increasing amounts of GW Shadow Grey and Codex Grey. If the color ends up being too bright, you can dim the mini with a mixed wash of GW Badab Black and GW Asurman Blue.

As for Ototo... not sure how I would paint him... Probably using a mix of Misaki's Robe Color for some of his cloth and the Black Ninja cloth for the rest so he blends in with the crew. I don't have the new book yet, so I haven't seen his artwork for inspiration.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your crew. Can't wait to see photos!

I ordered Misaki to so I can't wait to get started!

maybe you can take a look about the "legend of five rings" clan´s colours and apply it to the ten thunders. for example post-11005-1391192484605_thumb.jpg this is a scorpion typical shinobi wearing red and black, scheme that you could use with "masked geishas" (i don´t remember the name right now)

this is a tsuruchi archer, basically wearing green clothes. they are the best "L5R" archers, so it´s clever where you could use the scheme XD: post-11005-13911924846321_thumb.jpg

for misaki herself i used the crane clan scheme with blue and white because crane clan is the most artistic and beautyfull clan (and i love misaki´s model and crane clan XD), an example: post-11005-13911924846583_thumb.jpg i love this picture

if you clik on this link you can see another images about L5R i hope helps you to chose you colours

http://www.komarckart.com/l5r_22.jpg

I would recommend assembling first. I always paint plastics once the pieces are cut off so that I don't damage them in the removal process.

If you don't want to assemble a model because you are worried that some detail may be obscured (and the Misaki models are so intricate I'm sure this is the case :)), cut the pieces off the sprue, prime them, and paint them separately. If the pieces are small, you can use blu tack to stick them to something so you don't damage them in the painting process.