'Woops!' and cheating

ConqueringWyrm

Question

20 answers to this question

This could change a hell of a lot so in regards to this specific ability:

"Whoops!": When this model misses with a Boomstick Strike, the closest other friendly model within 10" ans LoS suffers an unmodified Damage Flip of 1/2/3:blast. If there are no other friendly models within 10" there is no effect.

Does Unmodified equal unmodifiable?

As I stated earlier this has been a pretty common recommendation (cheating down the damage of "Whoops!") over the years. I know this has been asked before (of course I cant locate any of those threads with the search engine right now) and seem to recall it always being treated the way DeusInnomen suggests in post #3 (i.e. that it isn't effected by things like Hard to Wound or level of success but in all other ways is a normal damage flip capable of being cheated down).

Curious as to why this wording wasn't updated in the new 1.5 book to reduce confusion (though i have a gremlin in this fight I dont particularly care either way just looking for clarification).

Edited by Omenbringer

So, can someone clarify please. Is Unmodified the same as unmodifiable? I think that is what Ratty is saying, but it seems like a lot of people had been Cheating these flips for quite a while. As a fairly new player, and one looking at the little green vermin as a choice, this is a very important distinction. I originally thought that it was not Cheatable (not sure what else unmodified would mean really), but after reading this thread, it appears that that was not the general thought. Thanks.

A friend of mine insists that "unmodified" means the same thing as unmodifible.

I insist that it just means that there is no :+fate or :-fate modifiers and that since it is a damage flip without :-fate modifiers it is cheatable.

I think he wants a RM to say that "unmodified" and "unmodifiable" mean different things. I think it is pretty clear since they are different words. We wouldn't be arguing whether an "unpainted"model is the same thing as an "unpaintable" model.

Cheating Fate

When, specifically, am I allowed to Cheat Fate?

You are allowed to Cheat Fate under the following circumstances:

All Duels (when a neutral or positive flip)

The Damage Flip (when a neutral or positive flip)

When a specific rule allows

If the flip was not part of a Duel, nor a Damage Flip, nor is stated as Cheatable, then you cannot Cheat the flip. For example, Healing Flips cannot be Cheated.

Cheating Fate

When, specifically, am I allowed to Cheat Fate?

You are allowed to Cheat Fate under the following circumstances:

All Duels (when a neutral or positive flip)

The Damage Flip (when a neutral or positive flip)

When a specific rule allows

If the flip was not part of a Duel, nor a Damage Flip, nor is stated as Cheatable, then you cannot Cheat the flip. For example, Healing Flips cannot be Cheated.

Correct. Woops is a damage flip.

This is what Ratty (Malifaux Rules Marshal) has stated, though it contradicts a few things mainly the ruling that attack (little a) is not the same as Attack (big A).

I insist that it just means that there is no :+fate or :-fate modifiers and that since it is a damage flip without :-fate modifiers it is cheatable.

This is what I (not a Rules Marshal) am arguing as well. Unmodified on a damage flip refers to :+fate and/ or :-fate not cheating fate.

I think he wants a RM to say that "unmodified" and "unmodifiable" mean different things. I think it is pretty clear since they are different words. We wouldn't be arguing whether an "unpainted"model is the same thing as an "unpaintable" model.

Rather funny observation however, I am waiting for the same thing.

Correct. Woops is a damage flip.

Whoops definitely results in a Damage Flip (even states it in the description) and as such would be Cheatable as long as unmodified does not equal Unmodifiable (which based on earlier precident with the attack vs Attack ruling should not be).

I think it is unwise to apply the rules for the English language to Malifaux without differentiation. How about "unarguable" and "unargued"? Though I would like to think that Ratty answered this question in this very thread, his quote is rather ambiguous. It would be nice to get a clear answer.