Initial Thoughts

pigi314159

Here we go:

First...the faction as a whole

The faction is extremely wide and diverse and given any situation will have a crew that is well suited to do it. Overall there seems to be a lot of mobility (Misaki, Mei, McCabe) and toughness (Yan Lo, Jakob)

The schemes seem...interesting...One is about keeping your guys alive and the other is about denying everyone.

The master specific ones have the following "feeling":

McCabe - Kill stuff while it's slow/paralyzed

Yan Lo - Level himself up and have the ancestors buff him

Mei - Go from one end of the board to the other with your crew

Misaki - Steal soulstones from your opponent

Jakob - Either ....get your hand to me a straight....or make the entire opponent's crew addicted to "Brilliance"

I find Jakob's most amusing.

Who can be hired:

So each master can be either it's native faction (and is then barred from hiring 10T without special rules) or can be 10T (and then is barred from native faction without special rules). Here is what is likely going to be the most confusing (and therefore there is a chart in the book) all of the masters have special rules allowing them to always hire from their native factions . For example, McCabe can always hire Sidir Alchibal, any model with the Black Sheep characteristic, or any guardsman (yes even if he is 10T). I think the easiest way to think of it as this: Each 10T master may always hire their native faction's models from book 4. If they declare native faction open up books 1-3 and stick to that faction. If they declare 10T look to the following list.

The following units are 10T and can therefore be hired by any master declaring 10T as their faction:

Clockwork Trap

Wastrel

Toshiro

Yin

Kang

Rail Worker

Mr. Graves

Mr. Tannen

Ototo

Archer

Torakage

Yamaziko

Oiran

Ten Thunder Bro

That is the full 10T faction, minus totems.

Initial Master Impressions:

McCabe - Mounted relic hunting cowboy. Can exchange soulstones for different abilities when hired. While mounted, extremely fast. Seems to be a skirmisher with lots of ways to debuff opponents.

Somehow, not a fan. I personally do not connect with his character. COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE.

Yan Lo - Reminds me of Shang Tsung from mortal kombat, but instead of morphing just gains new abilities. If enough stuff dies around him I am convinced he will become nigh unkillable. However, he is unlike any of the other rezzers in the sense that his summoning is...no good. He can only summon the 4 unique ancestors in Book 4, and it is ridiculously expensive to bring them back at full health. I think he harkens back to the master v master duels of old...except I think he will win everytime.

LURVE THIS GUY. (Yes I'm biased as mostly rezzer player)

Mei Feng - Wow...do you like reading stat cards? Lots of abilities! See Ratty's cheat sheet for trigger help. She is a melee/spellcasting beast! If you can string out her crew, she can leapfrog off of them and get in the face of the opponent quickly. She hands out burning tokens like candy (Mei + Kaeris = lots of burning...and I think it might be funny to include Sue). I'm not convinced she's a one woman show, but she can definitely lay down the hurt.

WANT HER. (She wasn't available at the show as of noon at Saturday, one of the Wyrd folks at the booth said her shipping got delayed and would miss the show...and yes I play arcanist too so I'm biased here)

Jakob Lynch - I don't know who is scarier, Jakob or his totem. Jakob tends to stay in the shadows and controls your crew's hand. While his totem speads across the field like a plague and destroys stuff. The mechanic is...different. I'm not quite sure I understand how to use this crew to full efficacy yet, but the general notion seems to be infect everyone with "Brilliance" and them watch them explode as your minions tend to do better against things with "Brilliance"

I purchased Jakob at the show. Normally I HATE neverborn (irrationally show) so he will FOREVER BE 10T TO ME. But something about him, the character, the sculpt, and the mechanics said BUY ME. Help....I may be getting consumed by the hungering darkness.

Misaki - Misaki is a ninja. She will stalk her prey unceasingly and then kill it. She has abilities that will single out the target model and then kill it. Did I mention she is good at killing things? Her box set has minions with abilities that will help her survive her initial stalk...and Ototo smash.

I'm actually on the fence about Misaki. I have learned many times that sending a single unit in (no matter how good) results in an alpha strike and a dead unit. She will require the support of her crew and I'm not getting any ideas of awesome quite yet.

So there you have it!

I will do my best to answer questions should you have any. Please keep in mind, these are complete opinions based on 1-2 readings of the book and I have not yet fielded any of these crews.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's interesting is that Misaki will have a much reduced hiring list (basically just those Ten Thunder models above + Mercenaries) compared with the other Ten Thunder Masters - for example, with McCabe being able to hire Guardsmen, that's a pretty huge chunk of extra models:

Guild Guard

Austringers

Riflemen

Hounds

Wardens

Guild Guard Captain

Pathfinder

As well as access to a specific named model (Sidir) and any future Black Sheep...

Are the extra hires all as wide as that or is McCabe just lucky to hit a pretty rich key word?

Misaki's special rule also allows desperate mercs, Hans, Ronin, and Taelor. So a bit more expanded.

Yan Lo can always hire ahsigaru*, punk zombies*, and onryo (*one of the ancestors also grants those two)

Mei can always hire Fire Gamin, Metal Gamin, Rail Golems, and Willie

Jakob can hire sorrows, stitched together, all models with brilliance, and all Ht 1 Woes.

So...McCabe got the best and broadest bunch by my count.

Jakobs cache can be increased by 2 by starting with his totem/ better half off the field.

Getting it on the table is fairly difficult though I think. I'd rather start it on the table myself I think.

(With his hand manipulation, it may not be difficult to get it on the board AT ALL, but the cards you give up to do so determine its health. Getting it at full health means ditching a pair of 13s. I'd rather put him on the table and discard cheap cards later on to let it reenter. This thing will. Not. Die. I love it)

My overall is that:

-Mei Feng seems downright scary. I think with Kang being tanky, Mei Fend being scary and the Rail Golem being a combination of the two, she's kind of horrifying. My initial feeling on her is that I want Mei Feng, her totem, Kang, three Rail Workers and the Rail Golem in my starting crews with her. I love her synergies with Kaeris, the only Arcanist I even want!

-Yan Lo looks interesting. I think it is healthy to see a Rezzer master who is not reliant on summoning (though in Rezzer fashion, it is an option. More of a tool for the attrition war than a primary focus really). No idea what I want with him yet since the unique ancestors are a bit pricey overall and mean I am going to be making hard choices. I will be trying him with Toshiro and a wealth of Punk Zombies and Ashigaru. Just for kicks.

-Misaki is going to kill whatever she wants. And then probably die. She seems like a NASTY scalpel being able to just target one thing and get the job done. I think clever use of Torakage and Oiran to present her targets and keep her safe is going to be important. No idea on a starting crew.

-Jakob Lynch...oh you...At first, I had no idea what I was looking at. Lynch himself is a touch...underwhelming. I mean, he has a few neat abilities but it just doesn't seem like he has the abilities to really make the most of them. Then I read the Darkness. Oh man. This thing is crazy and hungry. I love it. And you just can't get rid of it short of killing Lynch. It keeps coming back. I like it. Oddly, my initial crew ideas are avoiding the two named members of his crew. Lynch, Darkness, one Beckoner, two Illuminated and three Depleted. By the way, did I mention Lynch's better half actually gets to use Soulstones? Because that's awesome.

-McCabe is steampunk Abe Lincoln on a horse. No one can ever tell me differently. He's neat in that he's new and novel. LOTS of slow, which fits his theme I guess (and his scheme). I don't really care for him. He just isn't interesting to me, which is good since I don't need to get Guild as well. Might just be the one Ten Thunders master I don't want. I can live with the other four. I think they are INCREDIBLY diverse as it is.

Edited by Alviaran

Mei is a problem for me because like you Alvairan I will now be getting some arcanists, but I decided she can wait until her general release.

Think of Misaki and her crew as a whole group of control models. Oiran lure and buff (like Rotten Belles lure and debuff) Torakage screen and have movement manipulation. Ototo is a tank and melee beater, 10T Archers are super mobile, accurate and flexible, 10T Brothers are hard to hit and mobile. Misaki I almost see as a denial piece her crew can isolate elements of your opponents crew for her to pounce on, people will be wary of her threat range and theres not much that can stand up to her, she is extremely mobile but dont just throw her or rush her into combat.

It will be interesting to try out the darkness starting on and off the field. I'm thinking with just beckoners and illuminated I can brilliance and reposition enough enemy models to make summoning the darkness with only 3 or so wounds worth it. Looking forward to getting to try these guys out now that ive got them assembled.

Looking forward to double red jokers with lynch as well.

To those packing real knowledge. Does something feel too good or too bad? Are there minions that feel like outright upgrades from older minions or on the other hand that just seem to initially fall short?

Not wanting to go into the doom cycle, it's more that everything I've heard has sounded pretty sensible at the moment and like it seems they are getting a better handle of balance (book 2 having too much good stuff, book 3 on the other hand having a lot of very tame minions (I'm a resser)).

I think book 4 is full of good models for everyone. Nothing to me is over the top or an underachiever.

Agreed. With regards to the comment about balance (to be clear, I do believe that there is some imbalance through the earlier books...but I don't believe that it is as big as some people make it out to be): I think this books brings a lot of things to the table that bridge the balance gaps.

I'm very excited about what this book introduces as far as new things and general-usage models across all factions.

Nice to hear. At least as a resser, I'm seeing good stuff all around and aside from stopping summoning shenanigans from nicodem I pressume they went so character heavy with us to plug holes like Seamus's terrorfest beinge useless vs a lot of crews (Penny and a lot of living in the new book help a TON with this) or Toshiro just being a damn nice buffer for melee ressers or Chiaki being a sort of counter to hamelin and other counter or condition based crews.

Railcrew is also sounding huge and the survivability problems a lot of arcanist models have seem to be mitigated with the metal gammin and so on.

But of course, for now this is all perception on my part from what people are saying, so seeing people feel that way too is a nice start.

McCabe is steampunk Abe Lincoln on a horse. No one can ever tell me differently. He's neat in that he's new and novel.

Some how this sounds like an insult to Abe Lincoln, not that I mind they guy did what he had to to keep the union other then that well its politics and history and best not on a gaming board.

I love what i am herd on Mei Feng and can not wait till she comes in from my order. my first list will be her Embling Kang Emberling 2XRail Workers 2XFire Gamin and a Metal Gamin to gaurd Kang, he might need it you never know.

Then from there I might get will and the rail golem when they come out latter, but probably not the rail golem it a little hard to rationalize a 35 model I will take only some of the time and it competes with Kang.

I love the resser, and I know 4 people talking of getting him.

Misaki could be neat and if she is ran with other combat models so she is not left out all alone, cue Kang and club guy.

The to non asian masters, McCabe and Lynch, are not that intresting; but that may change once i get the book.