Any signs of Puppet Wars?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Folks, just a little note:

Check out the announcements forum thingy. Long story short, in the next week or so, Eric is going to be releasing the proposed updated puppet rules on the puppet wars website, so we can play test them and see what works.

p p p pick up a puppet...

P.S. game via skype anyone (yes, I am going to continue my international puppet drive)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
If it turns out to be different than the original version I would definately like to be able to get my hands on some kind of an upgrade pack (rather than having to either consult an online resource or re-purchase the game to get teh new rules).

I'd like to see an upgrade pack too, even if it was Wyrd Store only. But if I'm being honest with myself I'll probably go ahead and buy the new version anyway.

I'm such a Wyrd whore. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Been thinking a lot about Puppet Wars recently as I spend a lot of time reading about all the "new" and "unique" games out there on kickstarter and gaming blogs. Recently two different games have lauded their new systems, and as I read over the systems I think, "wait, Puppet Wars had that." One went to great lengths to describe how players could use the corpses of dead characters (friendly or opponent) as upgrades, buffs, energy, or simply to reanimate that model to use, and I was like, "Oh, like upgrades." Then another was talking about how in a round a player did not have to use all their models, but as models spent their actions, they became fatigued, and if they continued without resting, they would become exhausted, which caused different negative effects. Once again, something Puppet Wars has.

While neither of these are exactly like Puppet Wars, it was interesting to see both noted as new and unique. Additionally, it made me miss all the game of Puppet Wars I used to play before it kind of went on hiatus, both in my gaming groups and on the Wyrd forum (a hiatus that I oddly enough seemed to mimic). I am hoping Wyrd has something coming out soon that is marketed in such a way that will really bring Puppet Wars to the spot in the gaming market that it should have gotten previously, because it was, and still is, a really great game.

Well said Hugor. Despite believing that change in the game's design was necessary to achieve greater success (though not as neccessary as better production and marketing) I still love it. The original playtest ignited my passion for games design and I still use it as a perfect example of achieving lots of variables with a few simple mechanics (which I believe to be key to creating a game which is easy to learn, hard to master).

Not many games (if any) can survive two failed starts though, so I really hope Wyrd give this game the time and attention it deserves and provide us with the game we already know is awesome. The world needs more puppets! And pandas, lots of pandas =]

We should have around a month left before we find out. Aside from the packaging and perhaps the base game size of the original I still dont think much if anything needed to change. Thankfully those of us early adopters will have the choice of which version we end up playing.

Really getting itchy feet for this now. There are a few people locally who have showed an interest in Puppet Wars, but I'm a little nervous of introducing them to it only to have the rules change a month or two (potentially) down the line.

... and I wants me some pupplastics.

• 2 weeks later...

The owner of my LGS stopped me on my way out on Sunday to ask me if i would be interested in getting it, as he was informed of the late April release and wanted to pick up a couple copies, but only if he could sell them of couse. haha.

So that's at least two stores that have confirmed late April for me. Him, and miniaturemarket.com.

So the Warstore has PW slated for May rather than late April, but what slightly worries me is the price tag of $75. While I'm more than willing to drop that on a great game like PW, I wonder how it will compete with other miniature based boardgames. While games like Super Dungeon Explore and Zombicide have had time to develop both content, customers and market presence, PW not only has to start from scratch (again), but deal with the obstacles of a second release. I'm sure it'll do fine, so long as Wyrd gives it the attention it deserves and avoids making the same mistake twice (or thrice in some cases).

The reason I love Arena Rex so much is because it reminds me of PW, and as I try and spread word about it, I also seem to be promoting Puppet Wars. Let's hope both turn out great =]

That is a pretty hefty price tag. I love the game and am hoping it sees a resurgence however I am still a little concerned about what the final revised rules will look like.

Also wondering exactly how many minis will be coming in that box (three of each Pawn, inclusion of Expansions?) and what if any extras might be floating in there as well (Malifaux legal cards).

Would still love (and I am sure I am not alone) to have the option of an Upgrade pack that includes the new cards, Rules and Pattern Books, Counters etc.

That is a pretty hefty price tag. I love the game and am hoping it sees a resurgence however I am still a little concerned about what the final revised rules will look like.

Also wondering exactly how many minis will be coming in that box (three of each Pawn, inclusion of Expansions?) and what if any extras might be floating in there as well (Malifaux legal cards).

Would still love (and I am sure I am not alone) to have the option of an Upgrade pack that includes the new cards, Rules and Pattern Books, Counters etc.

Yeah, upgrading our investment, instead of having to rebuy everything would be nice. I managed to get PW as a gift, but I haven't really messed with it. Finally got around to priming the models last week or so.

Yeah, upgrading our investment, instead of having to rebuy everything would be nice. I managed to get PW as a gift, but I haven't really messed with it. Finally got around to priming the models last week or so.

You should get in a few games. The more I played it the more I really enjoyed it.

The store I used to go to didn't seem to think it was worth playing. The other 'Faux store doesn't seem to either.

Regardless, I do like the puppet versions of the models. I just wasn't all that hyped on paying to activate models, etc. Yeah, I should give it another try, watch Justin's videos, etc., for more clarity, but I'm going to hold out until the new rules come down, so I don't suffer from the confusion of using rules that no longer exist (ie, the rule of equivalency or the WP duel to fire into melee, from 'Faux).

I really think puppet wars is a fantastic game. Paying for models to activate adds another level of tactics to it, and gives you a use for lower cards (you want to "only just" activate your puppet so you have a better chance of going first).

In other random questions, do you think puppet wars could benefit from coloured plastic models (eg like the zombicide ones) so that the game could be played straight out of the box with less puppet confusion? I did find painting all of my puppets (which I still haven't finished by the way) pretty hard going for how many there are etc. I think with the new ones (if and when they come out) I'll just be painting them white and giving them a "faction wash" (ie blue for arcanist, red for guild etc) anyway