Any signs of Puppet Wars?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Clousseau: Well that complicates my shopping plans... How much will be? Is this a pre-release or will it be hitting retail sooner than we thought?

Don't know tbh. I'm demoing for Simple Miniature Games so check us out there.

Will try and post tomorrow evening if I have more info.

Yeah, it'd be nice to know some of these things before buying. I'll also take a peak at the cards when you're demoing it, just to see if how they've changed from the Beta (a lot I hope).

It's a little odd that the release has creapt up on us like this (well not really us, but the general public). The Malifaux books get weeks of teases and dedicated threads for each faction before their big release at Gencon. Both EBO and TtB got KS campaigns and were announced long before release (Showdown already receiving similar treatment) As long as I have waited for PW, for it to suddenly be on sale Saturday without anyone being aware of it (unless they stumble on this thread by chance) seems completely at odds with the treatment every other game has received. An article in Chronicles, then booted out through the side door. The puppets deserve better.

That is really exciting. Looking forward to hear all about this as soon as y'all have some time to post about it.

I am as well though...

Yeah, it'd be nice to know some of these things before buying. I'll also take a peak at the cards when you're demoing it, just to see if how they've changed from the Beta (a lot I hope).

for these reasons mostly. I am really curious to see what the final product is going to look like (and will determine if I re-buy this game since it doesn't seem like an upgrade pack for those of us that bought in heavy will ever be available).

There are around 40 sets at Salute ( well 39 now), RRP £50. Puppets are very slightly bigger than the metal ones, but with way more detail. The stat cards are now smaller and different and simpler than before. Tokens for workbenches and terrain are now hexes with the symbol moulded in and fit the old smaller darker board. Box is much better, but the only counters are for Exhausted.

Will see how it plays tomorrow.

Thanks Clousseau =]

I might have to pick up a copy.

Tokens aren't really what I was hoping for, but I suppose having the models fit on them is the priority over making them flashy. Little worried about counters; I generally don't like lots and lots of counters, but if they've removed the effects that needed them then it doesn't bode well. Good to hear the stat cards are smaller though, should save some space.

Overall I'm in love with the minis, apathetic towards the game components and worried about the game. Wyrd sure do know how play the love/hate game ;)

Thanks for the post. Those models look nice. Does it come with building instructions? Just wondering since i know that was a huge issue with Super Dungeon Explore's first round, and from the sprue it looks like things come in several pieces and that the pieces are not necessarily right next to each other.

Also, how did the rules changes pan out. Most of the people I played with (board game players for the most part) liked the changes during the play test, but curious on how everything ended up being. I did a bunch of demoing with the first round and people tended to really like it, but it did take about an hour or a little longer for them to really get a grasp of everything, so curious on how this went with more streamlined rules.

OK, to try and answer some of the questions.

Assembly instructions are included (large sheet, good detail), as are 2 puppet decks.

No Malifaux stat cards, or a marker for the animation round (I've just used a glass soulstone).

Puppets;

Masters - Seamus, Lady J, Pokey Vik

Sidekicks - Dead Rider, Judge, Bete Noir, Misaki, Rusty Alyce

Pawns (3 of each) - Austringers, Death Marshals, Punk Zombies, Belles, December Acolytes, Silurid, Convict Gunslingers, Cherub, Rattlespine Rattler, Ronin

For demos I ran with just 4 pawns and everyone seemed to pick up the basic rules pretty quickly. We didn't bother with upgrades. Convict Gunslingers for both sides was good fun with a bias towards killing themselves over killing their opponent!

Haven't actually tried out a 'proper' game yet!

as I was leaving salute I spotted a henchman tshirt out of the corner of my eye.

Thanks to bumping into clousseau at random I also own puppet wars, again.

as I was at the stand buying pw I overheard a passer by wondering why there were no malifaux demos. I got him pointed in the right direction and spotted him clearly having a blast about 5 minutes later on the demo tables.

salute was a blast and I heard a lot of people taking about malifaux.

Now I want a bunch of the electronics from zinge.co.uk to make actual light up puppets.

as I was leaving salute I spotted a henchman tshirt out of the corner of my eye.

Thanks to bumping into clousseau at random I also own puppet wars, again.

as I was at the stand buying pw I overheard a passer by wondering why there were no malifaux demos. I got him pointed in the right direction and spotted him clearly having a blast about 5 minutes later on the demo tables.

salute was a blast and I heard a lot of people taking about malifaux.

Now I want a bunch of the electronics from zinge.co.uk to make actual light up puppets.

It was good to meet you, even if the chat was rather short.

OK, to try and answer some of the questions.

Assembly instructions are included (large sheet, good detail), as are 2 puppet decks.

No Malifaux stat cards, or a marker for the animation round (I've just used a glass soulstone).

Puppets;

Masters - Seamus, Lady J, Pokey Vik

Sidekicks - Dead Rider, Judge, Bete Noir, Misaki, Rusty Alyce

Pawns (3 of each) - Austringers, Death Marshals, Punk Zombies, Belles, December Acolytes, Silurid, Convict Gunslingers, Cherub, Rattlespine Rattler, Ronin

For demos I ran with just 4 pawns and everyone seemed to pick up the basic rules pretty quickly. We didn't bother with upgrades. Convict Gunslingers for both sides was good fun with a bias towards killing themselves over killing their opponent!

Haven't actually tried out a 'proper' game yet!

So I did the math and that's not the full list. Anyone mind giving us a full list of the Puppets?

Masters - Lady Justice, Seamus, Pokey Viktoria

Sidekicks - Judge, Bete Noire, Misaki, Rusty Alyce, Hooded Rider

Pawns (x3) - Death Marshal, Guild Austringer, Executioner, Rotten Belle, Nurse, Punk Zombie, December Acolyte, Razorspine Rattler, Silurid, Malifaux Cherub, Ronin, Convict Gunslinger.

Same as the old starter but 3 of each pawn plus Viktoria and Hooded Rider.