Storm of Shadows - Neverborn Spoiler Thread

Nephalumps

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im excited; I just ordered book 4, Jacob's box set, a blister of Beckoners, a blister of depleted, Mr. Tannen, Mr. Graves, and a few other blisters of stuff I needed.

Looking forward to getting my new shinies =)

I gotta ask, who is this, I see your from Toledo as am I. You can pm me if you want.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

does anybody know what size bases the new neverborn range come on? I have ordered them but I'm considering getting scenic bases so this info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Im not sure but if you look at ericj painting table blog you can see all the models in the neverborn range there on bases and judge from that. Sorry for not being more helpful. :s

Neverborn minions in book 4:

Beckoner (could probably synergize well with other neverborn but best with Jakob)

Mr. Graves (He is a nephilim and a beat stick. Probably could be successful in other crews)

Mr. Tannen (He is a woe. I see no reason Pandora would not love this guy)

Depleted (tanky...no reason not to use in other neverborn crews)

Illuminated (more aggressive attack minion....no reason can't be used in other crews)

Having said that, Beckoners, Graves, Depleted don't really spread brilliance and have lots of abilities that key off of it.

Hungering Darkness (not Lynch), Beckoners, Depleted and Illuminated all have ways to spread Brilliance. Some are easier than others. Some are very situational, such as the Depleted having it as a pulse Df trigger that is keyed off their death. It's actually interesting because it gives you a use for a low value card of the relevant suit. Oh, I WANT you to kill the Depleted. Here, kill him.

Overall, it looks interesting. Jakob Lynch is...odd. He's a weird master it feels like. Total support and not the real muscle here. Rather, it is his totem, the Hungering Darkness. Yeah, 50mm totem who is a pretty badass combatant in his own right (as well as very difficult to keep off the board.)

Also, Lynch can have up to 10 cards. This amuses me to no end for some reason.

Well, he has an ability that lets him draw three cards (provided they are not aces or eights). On some results, your opponent gets to draw too (it can cause your opponent to discard as well, but overall, it is card cycling for your opponent). And then there is of course the beloved Arcane Effigy.

He also gets to cheat last. Always. (Only him, not his crew. And the ability is called Cheatin' Bastard) Similarly, for him only, he gets a "second" Red Joker (the ace of masks functions as a Red Joker for him). He's chancy too. With his pistol, he has an included trigger that lets you flip a card for a random effect. It's kind of awesome actually just because I love random abilities.

So, his real support for his crew comes in the form of card manipulation (once per game he even gets to ditch his hand for a free redraw. Great when you have a hand full of junk since that changes the odds favourably). Also, his pet the Hungering Darkness. Or rather, Jakob is his pet.

The Darkness is a bit of a beater who can inflict Brilliance, gains bonuses against Brilliance, can actually Obey enemy models (and if they are affected by Brilliance, he ignores immunities to Wp duels too. Hi, Teddy!), etc. Lot of interesting interactions with Brilliance (which is the general theme of the crew). Has a trigger that can make a model keep Brilliance for the rest of the encounter too. It also has Use Soulstones and functions as a master for spells and such (though is worth 0ss for schemes and strategies. Woo!) Also, it keeps coming back.

See, Lynch can discard two matching cards (same value) and bring the Darkness into play with a number of Wds based on the value of the cards discarded. 13s bring it back at full health and so on. Of note, this is NOT a Summon. It is a place. No Slow! Also, when it comes into play, it forces a WP>12 morale duel to everything in a wide area, ignoring immunities.

Darkness is automatically included. You can decline taking it and get 2ss back for your crew building. If you take another Totem though, it will be sacrificed if you bring in the Darkness.

Strangely enough, my initial thoughts of how I want to test him out actually don't bring Tannen or Graves. Lynch, Darkness, one Beckoner, three Depleted and two Illuminated. 29ss leaving me a full 8ss pool (which I intend to use aggressively). I could also drop one Depleted and take either of the two.

He looked odd at first. Then I came to really like the idea of him. I'm excited!

Well, he has an ability that lets him draw three cards (provided they are not aces or eights). On some results, your opponent gets to draw too (it can cause your opponent to discard as well, but overall, it is card cycling for your opponent). And then there is of course the beloved Arcane Effigy.

He also gets to cheat last. Always. (Only him, not his crew. And the ability is called Cheatin' Bastard) Similarly, for him only, he gets a "second" Red Joker (the ace of masks functions as a Red Joker for him). He's chancy too. With his pistol, he has an included trigger that lets you flip a card for a random effect. It's kind of awesome actually just because I love random abilities.

So, his real support for his crew comes in the form of card manipulation (once per game he even gets to ditch his hand for a free redraw. Great when you have a hand full of junk since that changes the odds favourably). Also, his pet the Hungering Darkness. Or rather, Jakob is his pet.

The Darkness is a bit of a beater who can inflict Brilliance, gains bonuses against Brilliance, can actually Obey enemy models (and if they are affected by Brilliance, he ignores immunities to Wp duels too. Hi, Teddy!), etc. Lot of interesting interactions with Brilliance (which is the general theme of the crew). Has a trigger that can make a model keep Brilliance for the rest of the encounter too. It also has Use Soulstones and functions as a master for spells and such (though is worth 0ss for schemes and strategies. Woo!) Also, it keeps coming back.

See, Lynch can discard two matching cards (same value) and bring the Darkness into play with a number of Wds based on the value of the cards discarded. 13s bring it back at full health and so on. Of note, this is NOT a Summon. It is a place. No Slow! Also, when it comes into play, it forces a WP>12 morale duel to everything in a wide area, ignoring immunities.

Darkness is automatically included. You can decline taking it and get 2ss back for your crew building. If you take another Totem though, it will be sacrificed if you bring in the Darkness.

Strangely enough, my initial thoughts of how I want to test him out actually don't bring Tannen or Graves. Lynch, Darkness, one Beckoner, three Depleted and two Illuminated. 29ss leaving me a full 8ss pool (which I intend to use aggressively). I could also drop one Depleted and take either of the two.

He looked odd at first. Then I came to really like the idea of him. I'm excited!

Wow - i wasn't too keen on him at first but I'm really liking the card shenanigans he can get up to... Plus the HD sounds nasty!