Storm of Shadows - Arcanists Spoiler Thread

Nephalumps

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're very welcome! I wanted to post that up, as I hadn't seen anyone really break down the stats for the new critter.

I agree, it's a solid new option. I don't think it's anything groundbreaking, but it may be the first Beast model I've seen in that SS bracket that I felt was decently stat'd for it's cost. If Marcus had a menagerie of Beasts that were more like this guy, it'd be a lot less painful to try and run pure Beast lists with him.

If Marcus had a menagerie of Beasts that were more like this guy, it'd be a lot less painful to try and run pure Beast lists with him.

Well there are two kinds of beasts: the arcanist ones that I don't really feel like fielding, and the out-of-faction beasts where this characteristic is only the key to hire, nothing more. This new guy seems to be the first one that we could hire without being a beast (mercenary), but being a beast will be its selling point for Marcus :)

On the note of Kaeris, she will work REALLY well with Mei Feng, other than the fact that you'll have to work around the Obscuring auras from Vent Steam a lot. But you'll be able to squeeze the Essence of Power very nicely in crews like that, which makes her Immolate spell VERY nasty, IMO. You'll just have to be careful because Mei and Kaeris together can really burn through your SS pretty fast.

Honestly though, I don't really feel like Kaeris needs a totem, so I'm not too bothered by her not getting one. Much like Von Schill doesn't really need one specifically for himself either.

Actually, come to think of it, the Student of Conflict is still a good choice in a Mei/Kaeris build too. Can help Mei Railwalker in/out of a combat zone a bit easier, which is fun.

Certainly on paper, Mei Feng looks like by far the best Master to pair with Kaeris, as she actually supports burning tokens...

I'm glad about this, because it finally gives me an excuse to buy her box (other than wanting a few Fire Gamin to run with Sonnia's Avatar)!

I do not need any more crews but I need Kaeris and the Fire Gamin....

D.

Billy rocks and now i see where the inspiration comes from. Never watched the sequel but the original was great.

#tempted. Watching Kaeris box on Fleabay.

D.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Female one not so much.

D.

Their rules? Or the models? cuz how do you not like....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7404[/ATTACH]

Wow what movie is this??

Never picked up on the female gunsmith being Trinity either... that makes the model so much cooler! (esp since I didn't really like it before!)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been taking a long, hard look at the Metal Gamin, and the more I think about them, the more I like them, especially with Ramos. A resilient, quick bodyguard is a nice way to keep Ramos a little closer to the front lines. Hard Case with Ramos's Armor +2 gives the good doctor a lot of extra resiliency -- he'll basically be taking 0 wounds from anything with a Dg less than 5 -- and Small But Fierce plus Ramos's Arcing Screen sounds like some devilish fun, basically making enemy models flail at the Def 7 Gamin and take damage if they hit. He's even fast enough to keep up with Avatar Ramos. Heck, you can summon it with aRamos's Hasty Assembly, then use its Reforge action to heal up those 2 wounds it entered play with. I can't see myself taking more than one to start with, but as a defensive piece in a Ramos crew, it is certainly much less expensive than a Guardian, although it lacks the latter's offensive punch (and extra scrap counters). Fun times on paper.

I've been taking a long, hard look at the Metal Gamin, and the more I think about them, the more I like them, especially with Ramos. A resilient, quick bodyguard is a nice way to keep Ramos a little closer to the front lines. Hard Case with Ramos's Armor +2 gives the good doctor a lot of extra resiliency -- he'll basically be taking 0 wounds from anything with a Dg less than 5 -- and Small But Fierce plus Ramos's Arcing Screen sounds like some devilish fun, basically making enemy models flail at the Def 7 Gamin and take damage if they hit. He's even fast enough to keep up with Avatar Ramos. Heck, you can summon it with aRamos's Hasty Assembly, then use its Reforge action to heal up those 2 wounds it entered play with. I can't see myself taking more than one to start with, but as a defensive piece in a Ramos crew, it is certainly much less expensive than a Guardian, although it lacks the latter's offensive punch (and extra scrap counters). Fun times on paper.

hes pretty pretty effective with ramos for me, though I havent used him to protect ramos. Ive used him to protect more fiddly models like a gunsmith. 2 reasons for this, first they need the protection more :P and secondly Ive used it to set up companion chains with ramos (0) to activate a construct. The other effect of this is that ive been more aggressive with ramos moving forward as I havent felt ive under utilized ramos by wasting his (0) action