Yan Lo, our new friend

DeleteAccount

I'm confused now. Wouldn't getting 4 in one tree and 3 in another just require 7 deaths?

And going spirit is only a game changer if killing Yan Lo is relevant to my opponent, if he only needs to keep him distracted to get the job done, then spirit isn't that relevant. What I deduce is a pulse spell that piles on damage if you move on the other hand is quite game changing.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can trade SS for Chi at the beginning of the game (I think the limit is 3SS for 3 Chi, but I might be mistaken) and I think there is a trigger he has that gives extra Chi when he kills stuff, so not so hard to get those 11 Chi points...

Edited by snord

So will we see lists that spam lots of canine remains in order to kill off to give him corpse counters and chi?

I found that it really was not worth it. The time spent doing that does not have the same payoff as killing your own minions does for other Masters. It's much more efficient to advance, and gather Chi from natural combat.

I'm confused now. Wouldn't getting 4 in one tree and 3 in another just require 7 deaths?

And going spirit is only a game changer if killing Yan Lo is relevant to my opponent, if he only needs to keep him distracted to get the job done, then spirit isn't that relevant. What I deduce is a pulse spell that piles on damage if you move on the other hand is quite game changing.

The nice thing is that he has 3 different trees and the spirit thing is in one of them.....so nice if your foe is trying to kill you, but if not....then you go climb a different tree. And your deduction is quite right.....the top tiers are all good like that.

So will we see lists that spam lots of canine remains in order to kill off to give him corpse counters and chi?

As Ausplosions said, it was tried multiple times and while it can be done, it really isn't worth it in the long run. You're much better off pushing toward your strats and schemes and allowing the "Chi" to come naturally.....which it should.

Yan Lo may not be much of a summoner, but if you like the Ashigaru and the PZs then Toshiro will be bringing them in.

Soooo, now that people have the book, can we get some intel on what does Yan Lo exactly do? Aside from reraising ancestors and leveling up, I have no idea whatsoever about what he does. Does he punch people to death? spell people to death? teleport all over the place? Make his people gods?

Or are his abilities "sparse" untill a few deaths happen around him?

he has a variety of abilities in his basic form.

he has a rather strong melee attack, a ranged attack with gunfighter and a wide damage spread that gets better with relics on him (weak of 1, severe includes a blast).

His spells are his main utility, what with his summon (a 0), a (1) heal for ancestors, a (0) spell to make friendly models spirit within range, and a Wp resist damage spell that gets better damage the more ancestors are close to the target.

One thing to remember is that he has casting expert as well.

with regards his triggers, he has a trigger on his Wp damage spell to gain more chi when killing something, as well as a trigger on his gun to do a headshot with a discard of a relic.

when he levels up he gets really nice. He has three paths:

path of spirit is a general mobility path with options that increase his Wk, give flight or spiritand the top level gives a pulse obey on all friendly spirits (think aRamos' (2) spell).

path of ash is a defensive path. it gives increased defense, regen, access to Rigor Mortis, and an aura spell that does Wd every time an enemy moves within range of it.

path of bone is a melee damage path. it gives (in no particular order) melee master, increased damage on his melee weapon plus brutal, a (1) charge option, and a trigger on his melee weapon to perform strikes on everything in range with both his melee weapon and his gun.

the major thing with him is that basic Yan Lo is ok. As soon as stuff starts dying, he gets much much better.

Oh god...

The problem really is to run him as a melee beat stick you need more than the Path of Bone. He starts off built like a back line caster, reasonably slow, OKish defense. So to make him viable in a melee role you have to either have a lot of support to keep him up or have to build up defenses and possible speed before you can push into building him melee.

A Fully upgraded Yan Lo is scary. very scary. It takes a lot of stuff dying, but even so is a scary prospect.

The major thing to remember about Yan is that his Lvl 4 abilities are absolutely brutal. They will be situational as hell, but when you use them they will really make a big difference.

For instance, if you go up path of spirit and have a group of punk zombies or ashigaru engaged with hte enemy, all you need to do is move Yan up, cast his (0) to make them all spirits, and hten cast his pulse spirit obey to really wreck face.

another option is when you need to hold a point (i.e. with claim jump or a line in the sand) you set up your ashigaru and put up their Wall of Steel within range of toshiro, and then use Yan's aura damage spell. Each time the enemy tries to enter the aura, they take damage, and the ashigaru can attempt to stop them moving with wall of steel. If you get the wall of steel trigger off, you will be doing damage with that, as well as the 2 Wd from yans spell. With the ashigaru being paired Cb6 when near toshiro, you really have a good way of locking a location down hard.

his gun doesnt change as he levels up. What happens is when ancestors die, their relic cards get placed on him if he is in range. Each relic card he carries gives him +1 damage to the weapon.

the damage track is 1/3/5:blast and is magical Cb6:crows.

his damage dealing spell is 2/3/4 with +1 Dg to max 3 per ancestor within 3" of the target, and is a Wp resist.

Soooo, if I'm reading right, the gun could theoretically reach 1/3/5 with a +4 if you manage to have all 4 ancestors and they die on you? Well, it's an unreal scenario, but still worth noting, a severe 7 can be doable though with the help of the soul porter.

The damage dealing spell is the same, could reach damage stupid, but mostly an unreal scenario, but severe 5-6 is doable. I suppose it's not a gun spell, right?

And reading your previous posts, seems his 0 is everything goes spirit at x inches from him, am I getting that right? cause hot damn that's a huge defensive or mobility buff.

Soooo, if I'm reading right, the gun could theoretically reach 1/3/5 with a +4 if you manage to have all 4 ancestors and they die on you? Well, it's an unreal scenario, but still worth noting, a severe 7 can be doable though with the help of the soul porter.

The damage dealing spell is the same, could reach damage stupid, but mostly an unreal scenario, but severe 5-6 is doable. I suppose it's not a gun spell, right?

And reading your previous posts, seems his 0 is everything goes spirit at x inches from him, am I getting that right? cause hot damn that's a huge defensive or mobility buff.

you are correct that the potential damage for the gun and spell are very high, but TBH you're never likely to reach that level. The gun itself is 12" range, but his damage spell is 8" with no gun symbol.

his 0 is nice, but quite tough to cast. it needs a high tome to get off, and it is a pulse that gives friendly undead within range spirit. it has a long enough range though. The big thing with it is that it competes directly with his ancestor resummon.