'Themed' Seamus Crew Question...

GMort

I tend to play table-top games with a competitive mindset but my Malifaux choices have been based more around models that I like.

I would therefore like to keep my Seamus crew in keeping with the 'Harem of Dead whores' theme that his background seems to indicate. Can I keep to this theme and still have a competitive army or will I be forced to compromise in order to have any success?

I currently have the following models,

Seamus the Mad Hatter,

Madam Sybelle,

3x Rotten Belles,

The Copycat Killer (Totem).

I have also ordered the following items from my local Hobby store that should be arriving Tuesday...

Molly Squidpidgge,

2x Dead Doxies,

and 1 Performer and Mannequin that I'll be turning the Performer half of into a 4th Rotten Belle.

...all of which fit the theme nicely (imo). I'm learning the game via a campaign organised by a few players at my local store starting next week and would like a fighting chance or at the very least not to be brutally kerb stomped into submission in 5 minutes, lol. The starting games have a 25 soulstones limit so I need to fit into that scale.

I can probably get the order changed to include Molly's starter set rather than just the individual model if that will help.

I eagerly await your sage advice ;-)

I think there's a difference between a themed Seamus crew and a fluffy one - and if you go with the latter you open up quite a few more options. When people talk about a themed crew, they always go for a crew of belles of one type of another, but in doing so they miss out on some of the minions that Seamus uses in the stories. For example, in Book 1 he has a train carriage full of Crooked Men, or in Book 3 he's looking for a haunted house so spirits would fit as well.

Not really an answer to your question - I just thought it worth pointing out...

Should I point out that harems don't have to be exclusively female? That males and even canine remains (seamus is a sicko) might well fit in them?

Nah, probably not.

Anyhoo... I think you may have a little trouble with the specific theme set you are going for simply due to a lack of big hitters (besides Seamus himself). I've never gotten the impression the named belle (madam whatshername) was well regarded by the majority of Seamus players, but I may be wrong. Although as an alternative you could get a different model that fits your theme and use it for a dead rider or whatever.

Personally the theme that I'd like to try is elemental undead and have Seamus with hanged (air), crooked men (earth), and drowned (water, duh). Maybe book 4 will introduce a fire spirit undead.

From the looks of it you'll have a pretty nice themed crew. The only models missing are Bete Noir (who also happens to be a pretty hard hitter) and a Miss Demeanor (Convict Gunslinger alternate scuplt that is female but for all other intents is a Convict Gunslinger).

Those are pretty standard additions to a themed Seamus crew. Molly is a great add (though I wouldn't really recommend the rest of the crew box), especially if attaching the Avatar to Seamus since when he manifests she will be the only method of bringing back models (and yes she can summon Madam Sybelle).

I like to run at least one Dead Doxy out of the gate and usually in conjunction with a Rotten Belle or two. They form a very nice push/ pull dynamic that can really screw with an opponents plans. Also the pair make for a very nasty tarpit that is difficult to really get rid of.

A lot of people will give you mixed reviews on the Copy Cat Killer, I personally love the little guy. He has a nifty gun that can really deliver the hurt, provides a cheap corpse counter when he dies and if you keep an 11+ value card handy can cast 2 of Seamus more useful spells, a 12+ will allow the little man to cast all 3. I do recommend keeping a 9+ :masks card in your control hand though since it will be required to extricate Seamus from trouble via Mistaken Identity (of course if you bring Bete Noir then you'll also need to keep a 10+ value card as well for One with the Night).

The preformer fits the theme nicely but is a bit to expensive for my liking. Paired with the Rotten Belles though you can increase the odds of Paralyzing models via Seduction if they go first and start pushing those models into easy Wk distance to the Preformer.

Edited by Omenbringer

Looks good to me but I would definitely pick up Avatar Seamus as well. The avatar is really great especially if you also have molly as she can rez belles while aSeamus does some heavy hitting. Great choice for competition and obviously fits perfectly with the theme because he's still Seamus.

From the looks of it you'll have a pretty nice themed crew. The only models missing are Bete Noir (who also happens to be a pretty hard hitter)

I havn't been playing very long at all and like you i wanted a themed Seamus crew, so the first model i bought was Bete Noir. She's a she so fits very well with the Seamus theme and hits like a truck which also helps a bit with the lack of damage output that the Redchapel boxed set seems to have stock. "Drawn to Death" means she generally pops up where you want her and coupled with her "Slow to Die" and "One With the Night" abilities she is A) very hard to keep dead and B) tends to get around the board very well and be exactly where you need her.

I have also picked up Molly as i don't think you can really do a themed Seamus crew without her but i havn't got round to using her yet so can't really offer any insight into how she plays and what she brings to the table. Also her and Bete are both 9(ss) i believe so running them both in smaller games is pretty expensive.

I think my chances of finding that model are pretty remote, lol. I may convert the 'Desperate Mercenary 2' model and use that instead should I go down that path.

On a side note - I had my first actual game today and discovered 2 things...

1 - Seamus's crew can move remarkably quickly...

2 - They can't kill enemies worth a damn...

They were a lot of fun to use though ;-)

On a side note - I had my first actual game today and discovered 2 things...

1 - Seamus's crew can move remarkably quickly...

2 - They can't kill enemies worth a damn...

With a Seamus crew it is typically all about bringing select enemy models to you and nibbling at them before the Heavy Hitters finish them off (Seamus, Bete Noir, Sybelle).

The crew can be very quick but over comitting (pushing up to far) them to early is usally a very bad thing.