Viruk's paintlog

Viruk

Thanks for the comments guys, mucho appreciado!

Here's another addition to my Neverborn crew - nTeddy. Painting him was fun too but it took me a while to get the fur right. Once again, I ended up working from brighter to darker colors and achieved the final effect with multiple washes/glazes and a few highlights. Now that I look at him, it's hard to believe that I actually started from light grey basecoat.

post-8493-13911925207423_thumb.jpg

There were two options of putting the model together, the other one with its left arm clasped around a terrified child. I chose this one as I have other plans for the kiddo.

I like his slightly crooked posture as it goes well with the twisted look of Neverborn minis.

post-8493-1391192520804_thumb.jpg

I needed to work with Green stuff, particularly in the area around his left shoulder as the arm didn't fit there perfectly. I also sculpted additional fur around and above his claws (both on the hand and on the feet). Each claw had to be glued individually, so pinning them would be just too painful. In order to make them stronger, I simply covered them with GS and sculpted fur on top of it.

post-8493-13911925208731_thumb.jpg

My only concern is that he's much taller than the original Teddy and towers over him. In game they both count as HT3 models but they look like two entirely different individuals, not just two versions of the same thing. That being said, I still have to admit that I do like both sculpts :)

post-8493-13911925209296_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen the plastic trees painted before so I figured I's start working with my Gencon orders from these. As I've written before, the sculpts are really nice with some minor things that could have been better (more texture on bark/faces).

The biggest problem was the rope on which Eric hangs as it's way too thin to support the miniature and it's extremely hard not to break it even when painting it. So I started by removing it completely and replacing it with a wire. The faces are pretty well cast but for some reason they seemed a bit too lively to me. In order to remove that impression, I painted them using a "zombie" skin tone with very pale skin that looks like it's starting to rot.

As you can see, I also added some skulls to the base (I simply glued the tree to a CD as it seemed it needed something solid to stay on).

And here are the effects, C&C are welcome.

post-8493-13911925423867_thumb.jpg

post-8493-13911925421491_thumb.jpg

post-8493-13911925422036_thumb.jpg

post-8493-13911925422574_thumb.jpg

post-8493-13911925423087_thumb.jpg

Man, this is great! Awesome colours, details added! great job..

just one thing, the GS seam (horizontal) is kinda visible (I do have the tree at home and I know where to look, and I did have the same problem so now I immediately look at that part first, LOL, so it might not be as bad as it seems to me :) )

Yeah I figured if you know where to look, you'll see it but then it's not that bad I think.

I forgot to add this - a nice little song after a heavy post:

I've also finished my Miss Terious models (got two of them) but still need to add some final touches to the bases. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Edited by Viruk

Thanks for the comments!

@Darios - I started with a solid layer of Chardon Granite (the pot is almost empty now, never to be replaced by a new one :Sad_Puppet1: ). After that I drybrushed the whole surface with Reaper Khaki Shadow, Pale Olive and Bloodless Skin. After that I applied several washes and glazes. Since the tree was very bright at this point, I started by darkening it with brown washes and a black one in the recesses. I also applied a few randomly placed glazes (blue, green and red) to give the tree a more eerie, unreal look.

Took some quick pictures of Miss Terious this morning. A really nice mini and I'm glad it's a part of my Guild force now. I'm a big fan of Death Marshals (I dig their fluff and like using them in game) so I knew I was going to get her once I saw the first artwork.

I wanted to paint her in a similar way to the rest of my Death Marshals, meaning that instead of the western look from the artwork, I would be going for an almost-undead one.

This mini is actually made of 11 parts. I was surprised that I needed no GS at all while putting her together as each part fits very well. I only needed to remove a few mold lines but that's nothing unusual while working with plastics.

I've got two of them since I placed two separate orders during Gencon. I'll probably put one of them on ebay, it would be interesting to see how much people would be willing to pay for it. Anyway, here are the pictures:

post-8493-13911925430578_thumb.jpg

And here's Miss T among other professionals.

post-8493-13911925430967_thumb.jpg

miss_terious_picture.jpg

And a shot of me taking these pictures ;)

post-8493-13911925429301_thumb.jpg

post-8493-13911925429724_thumb.jpg

post-8493-13911925430188_thumb.jpg

• Like 1