[Arbitrary Top Ten List Powers, Activate!] Top Ten Guild Minions!

Jonas Albrecht

I can do a top five non-masters:

1. Austringers-5ss, 18" non-LOS ranged attack,distract trigger, and deliver orders.

2.Nino-7ss, 16" range with excellent CB, hunter n scout, normal "family" abilities, and two excellent triggers.

3. Guild hounds x2-6ss, gives a soulstone, huge range when paired, not bad dmg output for 3ss models, can benefit from a ton of synergy with different types of lists.

4.Watcher-3ss, non-insignificant, great flight speeds, helps with card control and can eliminate Terrifying,harmless,pitiful, and cover mods from enemies.

5.Hunters-6ss, Construct, shadowing can give it great movement up the field, ambush against non activated models, drag n flurry help somewhat, has armor and wep naturally slows enemies.

Now some you'll see alot of like Nino and some you'll see barely any (hunter.) But I personally think these are the top 5 guild models and I used versatility as my base for my list...Adapt or die, Hooah!!!

That is interesting that you put Hunter on the list when he is universally seen as one of the harder minions to use for his cost. In no particular order mine would be..

Witchling Stalker - hunter, scout, dispel magic and quite nasty with his runed blade strikes there is not much this little guy can't do!

Watcher - 3ss model that is significant, can fly out of combat, has flight with a movement of 7 and can debuff enemy models it hits with its eye! Even if you never attack with the watcher it can get to and from objectives very quickly.

Nino Ortega - there is a reason he is a staple outside of family lists, with an extremely high cb once he casts 'in my sights', great triggers, hunter/scout AND the ability to leave combat when he casts his 'where'd he go' he is quite the killer even if he is from book 1!

Warden - Extremely mobile with the ability to gain a walk action at the cost of a card, bonus to hit models who have already activated and has the ability to paralyze a model with it's range attack makes it one of my top guild minions. Especially since it has the guardsman trait so lucius can take him in a strike force.

Austringer - the ability to attack enemies at great ranges ignoring cover and line of sight is HUGE, as you can hide him in a spot that is very hard for enemies to approach and they have to deal with a relatively high cb strike every turn whittling down their wounds. Also the austringer reinforces the idea of alpha strike with deliver orders with an enormous range of 24. Last but not least lets not forget that he can push himself out of combat for an AP.

I will lend my extended knowledge of five games played so far to this list :P. A top ten would mean all models I have except one so I'll do a top five.

1. Santiago Ortega, this man is a wreckingball if you get some good triggers off, he usually kills whatever he point at.

2. Witchling Stalkers, I love these little fellows, I have only got up against ressers and arcanists so far but they have always come in handy. Well worth the points.

3. Austringer, I love the fact that he doesn't need los. Overextend to kill him or let him be, wonderful!

4. Executioner. Yes he is slow and he probably won't do much usefull when we get more experience in playing but so far he has been a wonderful addition to the crews I have taken him in. And the model is awesome!

5. You know what, this just became a top four. I have played Nino once and he got killed by cassandra turn two, Fransisco usually dies as soon as he commits, my hounds have yet to capture an object, Papa Loco blew up three of my own models the only time he have been fielded (my first game) one of them beeing Abuela who had yet to do anything that game. Samael and the witchling handler have also seen play once each where the handler killed a bête noir (but it seems we read the rules wrong on this) and Samael got his butt kicked by a slit jugular trigger from Seamus after dealing nine wounds to him with his flaming bullets... damn you hard to kill! :)

@Nilus: Hehe... :) so true. Although I think it is a good thing not everyone is playing the same models all the time... :)

I tend to mix and match my guild models a lot, depending on the strategies/schemes/factions involved, but these are the ones that pop up:

* Watcher: he makes 90% of my lists and is easily my most used model. For 3SS, a significant model to fulfill objectives, that can fly 14" a turn and has some card control and some other talents, is well worth it.

* Santiago: this is my main guild enforcer. Needs someone dead? Call uncle Santiago. Enough said. Makes 70% of my lists.

* Witchling Stalkers: 4SS, with melee 6:ram:, built in critical strike and a disrupt magic aura that only affects enemies, yes please! Makes 50% of my lists.

* Austringer: need some air support? 5SS for ranged 12"/18", no LoS, Cb 7 attack! gold! Makes 40% of my lists.

* Guardian/Brutal Effigy/Dogs: the 5th place is shared by several different models that I like to use based on strategies. Guardian is great to protect either the Master or Santiago, Effigy is a good 4SS melee model (+1 melee expert) that can heal your crew, and the dogs are as fast as you can get.

@cerealkiller....

Yeah the hunter is probably one of the most underutilized guild models, now I wish it was a 5ss cost instead of 6, but if I am using dogs that give the extra SS then I don't mind. The main thing overlooked is the shadow ability: it screws up and disrupts crews with masters or models with Fast and/or Nimble, an example I do alot is against Von Schill, multiple times i've shadowed him and combined with the option of moving or not and only having to move towards and not directly towards i've been able to run in and tie up 2-4 minions (desperate mercs, ronins, convict gunslinger, friekcorp troop guys, etc.) for half a turn to one turn until justice can run in and desimate everything. And to be honest about 50% of the time the hunter will make it out of the first melee encounter still alive and ready to disrupt the next obstacle heh.

Back to the list I wanted to add one for mine:

#6 Scales of Justice totem-2ss: Has great synergy with both watcher and guildhounds, one free discard and draw, Casts Justices melee expert spell freeing her up to use her AP other places!

I think nino and santiago are both great for their points.

My top 5 would be, mind you I don't play guild but I play against enough to know some good models:

1) guardian (Partnered with lady j is a pain.) It essentially give your master an extra 8 wounds (If I remember his wounds correctly) and gives them armor while boosting his own.

2) watcher: this little guy is super annoying. 3 stones significant, and can move super fast, plus the card mechanic can help a ton.

3) santiago: he is just a beast walking. That is all.

4) nino: awesome triggers, and long range shooting. Plus hunter and scout, why not?!

5) executioner: I hate playing against him. Yes he's slow and has to slog across the field, but if he is protected (guardian) and gets across to combat, things tend to get hairy.

5) executioner: I hate playing against him. Yes he's slow and has to slog across the field, but if he is protected (guardian) and gets across to combat, things tend to get hairy.

He also is good when you can figure out a way to speed him up. Shotgun wedding + Obey chain can get him almost anywhere on the board in one set of actions and attacking

1. Santiago
  2. Witchling Stalker
  3. Death Marshal
  4. Francisco
  5. Judge
  6. Austringer
  7. Nino
  8. Watcher
  9. Executioner
  10. Peacekeeper

And roughly in that order for me. Depending on the game (strat / terrain / opponent) they may shift up or down a few slots.

I have never used the Guardian so he isn't on my list. But in theory he should be in there somewhere....I just don't know what I would bump.

This is all based on my current playing experience as I've only just got the Ortegas (apart from Nino) and haven't used them much yet.

Witchling Stalker - I managed to completely shut down a Rasputina crew with these guys. I hardly had to use my Ortega models. They're cheap and very good in combat for their points. I also managed to kill Ramos with shooting from one, not even their best attribute!

Nino - he single handedly managed to kill aSeamus.

Watcher - so much utility for only 3 points.

Santiago - such a cool looking model, he's like Nino with a shorter range but more power. I know he'll be making most of my lists now.

Peacekeeper - I love giant robots. I can't wait to get the Hoffman box and use him.

Austringer - one I haven't used but I know in games I've lost I would have done much better if I'd had one. The lack of a need for LoS is a great benefit with the terraclips terrain I've been playing on lately. I can't wait to go crazy with a few and Lucius.

Death Marshal - whilst I haven't had any game winning moments with one yet they've always been solid and I know I would have stopped a Leveticus crew if I'd only remembered they are intractable.

I always like having this thread, thanks for your responses!

Anyway....

1) The Watcher - 3 soulstones for a flying model with huge range! With the Ortegas, it can park and remove cover! With C. Hoffman, you have a ranged sniper! With everyone, you can cycle through your deck! It's a great piece.

2) The Guardian - It's got a lot of cool tricks, like anti-magic and healing... but Protect is the winner here. It's a spell capable of shenanigans far beyond just keeping wounds off of models.

3) Santiago Ortega - The Hulkslinger! He's got the rare gift of a Paired ranged attack, Critical Strike, the Ortega edge (Shrug Off and Stubborn), his own healing flip, and the Tropic-Thunder-Quote-Producing-Ability that is Leadstorm. I love this model. Pair him with #2 and just go all shenanigans on your opponent.

4) Guild Austringer - Ranged attacks without using LoS are super good. Having a Linked In that works on everyone is super good. The Austringer is super good, y'all.

5) Warden - I contend that the Warden, not the Hunter, is the mini-Peacekeeper. Its got an amazing Paralyze trigger, has Relentless, and is pretty impressive.

6) The Pale Rider - It's a ranged Rider than can heal itself with its attacks. The Guild gets the best of everything.

7) Nino Ortega - There are a couple of ranged snipers, and Nino is just the best.

8) The Executioner - He's a big fat melee monster.

9) Sam Hopkins - A good ranged model. Not really autoinclude good, but solid none the less.

10) Guild Guar- NO

10) Guild Lawyer - Some great enemy model screws on this dude.

Edited by Jonas Albrecht

I don't have a list of top ten, but I find it interesting that people prefer Niño over Santiago. Santiago is a one man bomb. He took out Som'er and Peaches yesterday, to give you a little perspective. A man that can heal, annihilate, and is paired? Yessir. I'll take it.

HAHAHA, you dog you. That was actually the game I ended up using Santiago and Francisco over Nino. Francisco took 5 wounds early on from the pigapult and piere ravage, and I used him and lucious for objective grabbing. Santiago also took 5 healed back up to 3, claimed and objective and yes. Trigger happied the hell out of Somer and Peaches. That was a blast.

As far as my list goes (I don't have any of the book 3 models yet so I wont' include them due to inexperience playing them)

Austringers (for reasons as above as well as their own companion style)

Guild hounds (I read the post about how they haven't done anythign for one person, but they have won me many a games with objectives, though I haven't had them go too well combat wise).

Guild Guard ( Armor 1, High CB on melee, + dmg flip on gun, and ability to move other models)

Francisco/Santiago (after seeing these two working more together, I'm happy as hell to always bring them with family. Francisco is probably one of the most overlooked guild models. With Duelist, and CB7 sword, he isn't the same level as santiago but for his points, he is can bring the hurt. And lets face it, he brings a much stronger melee element then is typically available.)

Peacekeeper (.... before I had hoffman, he was awesome, after Hoffman OMG so awesome.)

Witchling Stalkers (... nuff damn well said..)

Hmmm...

1. Witchling Stalker: Dispel Magic, Disrupt Magic, Cb6 with a minimum of 3 damage, scout and hunter. These guys are the $$$$$$$$.

2. Guardian: Extremely hard to kill (usually), free healing, another disrupt magic, and he keeps alive what you like best.

3. Watcher: 3 points, impossible to pin down and... significant. Hell yeah.

4. Nino Ortega: Kills stuff good. Reliable and peforms well without your precious hand cards. Head shot becomes more potent when the game size increases.

5. Dunno. Depends on startegies and masters and such. The 4 above will perform splendidly regardless of... well, anything. The reason santiago's not on my list is twofold: if he gets in melee he is totally screwed and he's bloody slow unless he's near death, which makes it hard to keep him out of said melee.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

More from "the other side"...

Top 5 I hate seeing for their points.

1. Watcher

2. Witchling Stalker

3. Guardian

4. Nino

5. Death Marshall

Comes pretty damn close to my list. *smug* The reason I don't put a Death Marshal in there is because on a terrain-heavy board (which is the standard Malifaux table) the lack of hunter on a shooty model is a bit painful.

I use Nino more than Santiago because he can stand still and have a huge threat range, a cb 9 on his 'in my sights' spell. In addition I feel people run the risk to make Santiago better by being a bit reckless and have him take wounds till he gets all his bonuses.

I also feel that the convict gunslinger is a bit easier to fit into my lists over santiago, yes he doesn't have the outright damage output that is comparable. In addition the Gunslinger can also hold his own in melee which aside from masters very few guild models can do both melee and ranged.

Francisco is probably one of the most overlooked guild models. With Duelist, and CB7 sword, he isn't the same level as santiago but for his points, he is can bring the hurt. And lets face it, he brings a much stronger melee element then is typically available.)

I couldn't agree with this more.

For me the list would go something like this, keeping in mind I do not play Hoffman yet. As soon as the wardens come out I will be playing Hoffman more.

1. Guild hounds x3 - as soon as an objective strategy comes up, they get in the list. I never take them in less than 3.

2. Witchling Stalker - the only list I have that does not use a witchling stalker is my Sonnia/aSonnia lists that make their own witchling stalkers out of Desperate Witches (Mercenaries).

3. Brutal Effigy - since he came out he has found a place next to a stalker in every list I run.

4. Guardian - I do not think of him as a must take, but he ends up in more lists than not. He is always taken as a partner to either of the next two models though.

5. Santiago - Santiago/Guardian is a hard hitting pair. These are a go-to damage dealing solution for me.

6. Exorcist - Exorcist/Guardian shows up whenever I am facing Ressers. A Resser player not scared of this pair has not faced a well played Exorcist.

7. Desperate Mercenaries - these guys are in my Sonnia lists nearly all the time. As such, they deserve this spot.

8. Watcher - this is my point filler. He also jumps into any list that is facing Ressers, but aside from that he is a filler model.

9. Austringers - These guys always make the list when Lucius is master, but rarely make my lists (anymore) with any other guild masters.

10. Drill Sergent - this guy should really be tied with the Austringers above, as he always makes the list with Lucius as master. Then he never makes the list otherwise.

Everything else is a sometimes take for me. Even with that, there are some always take models pending master, but some masters I do not take much. With each master, these are what I consider always take right now and looking forward a couple weeks:

Sonnia / aSonnia:

• Desperate Mercenaries

Lady Justice

• Nothing is auto-take for me

Hoffman

• Peacekeeper
  • Warden
  • Guardian

Perdita

• Enslaved Nephilim
  • Santiago
  • Guardian

HAHAHA, you dog you. That was actually the game I ended up using Santiago and Francisco over Nino. Francisco took 5 wounds early on from the pigapult and piere ravage, and I used him and lucious for objective grabbing. Santiago also took 5 healed back up to 3, claimed and objective and yes. Trigger happied the hell out of Somer and Peaches. That was a blast.

As far as my list goes (I don't have any of the book 3 models yet so I wont' include them due to inexperience playing them)

Austringers (for reasons as above as well as their own companion style)

Guild hounds (I read the post about how they haven't done anythign for one person, but they have won me many a games with objectives, though I haven't had them go too well combat wise).

Guild Guard ( Armor 1, High CB on melee, + dmg flip on gun, and ability to move other models)

Francisco/Santiago (after seeing these two working more together, I'm happy as hell to always bring them with family. Francisco is probably one of the most overlooked guild models. With Duelist, and CB7 sword, he isn't the same level as santiago but for his points, he is can bring the hurt. And lets face it, he brings a much stronger melee element then is typically available.)

Peacekeeper (.... before I had hoffman, he was awesome, after Hoffman OMG so awesome.)

Witchling Stalkers (... nuff damn well said..)

Tyvm for showing support for francisco. Ok its been awhile since I've played my guildies but here's my top ten (I wont put them in order but the first 5 are what I'd rank highest.

1.Santiago: The Pain Train. CHOO CHOO :-).

2.Witchling stalker: Debatably one of the top three 4 point models in the game.

3.Watcher: When I make a guild list there are 3 things I ALWAYS TAKE him, an austringer and the pain train never do I not take these three.

4.Guardian: keeps fragile master (sonnia) or the pain train alive.

5.Austringer: 24" companion chains, the #1 problem totem killer in the game, And a great model to send after weakened models 1-3 wounds left that you don't want to waste a big pieces ap on to take model of the board whats not to like about him?

6.Fransico: if only people would learn to not frontline him they would then see his strength's as a 2nd wave cleaner upper.

7.Witchling Handler: Makes are most solid lesser minion more mobile Ive found she takes samuel's spot in sonnya lists.

8.Executioner : if I just played dita he would be top 5 cause of obey support but in other guild crews i've found him lacking

9. Hamelin the minion lol: Ive messed around with him he is a outcast but I like what he can bring to a solid melee/ranged crew mix due to if you set up the crew right the opponent doesn't want to get into range with you and he either kills models on board edge or can obey stuff closer/your models closer.

10. Lawyer : need a crew that supports him but is something most opponents don't see coming.

Wow, this was harder to do than I thought. Guild is currently my favorite faction (my girlfriend just bought me an unknown Resser and some blisters so this may change by next month...........and Ten Thunders come thereafter) but I am hard-pressed to pick 10 solid favorites. Here they are........

1. Watcher - Fast and Significant, not to mention getting that Black Joker out of the game countless times. Card manipulation wins games.

2. Guild Hounds - Dogs just make the game better. We need more dogs in the Guild. We need a Kennel Master who takes different breeds to battle. Can we say Terriers to take care of the Hamelin problem.

3. Witchling Stalkers - Brutal with the Runed Blade and then dies gloriously in a blaze of....... glory? I never play a game without one.

4. Francisco Ortega - Santiago who? 5 SS with a Cb of 5:ranged and 7:melee and a better defense and Wk/Cg than Santiago. Add Duelist and Menace, what is not to love. Dependable every game.

5. Samael - Another guy with no love. True, he has a huge bulls-eye on himself the entire game, but he takes the heat off the Master and with a damage output of 5/6/7 with a Cb of 6 is great. "oh, only weak damage?........ummm, that is 5, thank you." Don't forget Ricochet either.

6. Guild Austringer - Great Range and Cb with ability to ignore cover AND LoS. Really great for 5 SS.

7. Death Marshal - Not much love for him, but for 4 SS, you get a solid soilder. 5 Cb and Critical Strike on both weapons, HTW1, Intractable, STD, and Finish the Job. He is not flashy, but he gets results. Ressers will hate him.

8. Exorcist - Would be higher on the list if it was not for the SS cost and the Wk/Cg. I am thinking he needs some fixing, but still very, very good in a crew vs. Spirits.

9. Lawyer - Cost is an issue (See above) but if you can get him in there, Closing Argument can turn the tide, as can Prosecute.........and Censure. Just getting him in there and alive long enough to cast them is a problem. Big gamble for 7 SS.

10. Brutal Effigy - 4 SS healer that can shoot and stab better than some regular minions.

9. Lawyer - Cost is an issue (See above) but if you can get him in there, Closing Argument can turn the tide, as can Prosecute.........and Censure. Just getting him in there and alive long enough to cast them is a problem. Big gamble for 7 SS.

I don't find his cost to be an issue, as I do his movement. Due to such a low movement he only works with Lucious.

I don't find his cost to be an issue, as I do his movement. Due to such a low movement he only works with Lucious.

I agree. That is why I think his cost is a little high. If he could take a wound for an extra Wk or some kind of movement spell that could pair well with Furious Casting, he would be worth 7.