Five-Faction Crews

My local gaming friends are running an achievement league now, and one of the achievements in it is to run a crew with models from all five factions.

So, it's cool that it's possible to hire all five factions, even in a Scrap. I've been slogging through it in my mind, and figured I'd share what I found.

Special tricks that some Masters can do:

• Hoffman can hire Arcanist Constructs, and Coppelius.
  • Ramos can hire a few Guild Constructs.
  • Marcus can hire Beasts from any faction.
  • Zoraida can hire low-Wp models from any faction.
  • All Neverborn can hire up to two Effigies.
  • Leveticus can hire Undead and Constructs from any faction.
  • Hamelin can hire Ht1 and Insignificant models from any faction.

Special Tricks that most Masters can do:

• Performer and Mannequin: An Arcanist mercenary.
  • Jack Daw + The Hanged: A mercenary that lets you hire a Resser model.
  • Hamelin the Ratcatcher: A catchall. A mercenary that lets you hire a Ht 1 model from any faction through Growing Influence. This is very limited, though, since the model has to stay within 10" of Hamelin, so it's less preferable than other methods.

The big problem is that there's no general trick to hire Guild or Neverborn models. You can hire one of them with Hamelin Ratcatcher, but you need some way to hire the other. On top of that, you can't generally hire Jack Daw, Hamelin Ratcatcher, and the Performer: only two of three.

All that said, here are the leaders who can hire a five-faction Crew:

• C. Hoffman: Hire Jack Daw, The Hanged, Coppelius, and Joss.
  • Other Guild Masters & Henchmen: Can't do it.
  • Kirai: Hire Hamelin + a Watcher, a Performer & Mannequin, and Insidious Madness.
  • Other Resser Masters & Henchmen: Can't do it.
  • Ramos: Hire a Hunter, Jack Daw, The Hanged, Hamelin + Terror Tot.
  • Marcus: Hire a Lawyer (or Guild Hound), Night Terrors, Silurids, and McTavish.
  • Other Arcanist Masters & Henchmen: Can't do it.
  • Zoraida: Hire a Brutal Effigy, Carrion Effigy, Arcane Effigy, and Hodgepodge Effigy.
  • Collodi: Hire a Brutal Effigy, Carrion Effigy, Arcane Effigy, and Hodgepodge Effigy.
  • Pandora: Hire a Brutal Effigy, Carrion Effigy, Performer + Mannequin, and Desperate Mercenary.
  • Lilith: Hire a Brutal Effigy, Carrion Effigy, Performer + Mannequin, and Desperate Mercenary.
  • The Dreamer: Hire a Brutal Effigy, Night Terror, Arcane Effigy, and Desperate Mercenary. (EDIT: The Dreamer can't hire Mercenaries. So hire Collodi, Hodgepodge Effigy, Brutal Effigy, Arcane Effigy, and Night Terrors.)
  • Leveticus: Hire a Watcher, Canine Remains, Ice Gamin, and Wicked Doll.
  • Hamelin: Hire a Guild Hound, Canine Remains, Hoarcat Pride, and Mysterious Effigy.
  • Other Outcast Masters & Henchmen: Can't do it.

That's 10 Masters and 1 Henchman who can do it. A little less than half.

Am I missing anything?

Edited by Hateful Darkblack

My local gaming friends are running an achievement league now, and one of the achievements in it is to run a crew with models from all five factions.

So, it's cool that it's possible to hire all five factions, even in a Scrap. I've been slogging through it in my mind, and figured I'd share what I found.

Special tricks that some Masters can do:

• Hoffman can hire Arcanist Constructs, and Coppelius.
  • Ramos can hire a few Guild Constructs.
  • Marcus can hire Beasts from any faction.
  • Zoraida can hire low-Wp models from any faction.
  • All Neverborn can hire up to two Effigies.
  • Leveticus can hire Undead and Constructs from any faction.
  • Hamelin can hire Ht1 and Insignificant models from any faction.

Special Tricks that most Masters can do:

• Performer and Mannequin: An Arcanist mercenary.
  • Jack Daw + The Hanged: A mercenary that lets you hire a Resser model.
  • Hamelin the Ratcatcher: A catchall. A mercenary that lets you hire a Ht 1 model from any faction through Growing Influence. This is very limited, though, since the model has to stay within 10" of Hamelin, so it's less preferable than other methods.

The big problem is that there's no general trick to hire Guild or Neverborn models. You can hire one of them with Hamelin Ratcatcher, but you need some way to hire the other. On top of that, you can't generally hire Jack Daw, Hamelin Ratcatcher, and the Performer: only two of three.

All that said, here are the leaders who can hire a five-faction Crew:

• C. Hoffman: Hire Jack Daw, The Hanged, Coppelius, and Joss.
  • Other Guild Masters & Henchmen: Can't do it.
  • Kirai: Hire Hamelin + a Watcher, a Performer & Mannequin, and Insidious Madness.
  • Other Resser Masters & Henchmen: Can't do it.
  • Ramos: Hire a Hunter, Jack Daw, The Hanged, Hamelin + Terror Tot.
  • Marcus: Hire a Lawyer (or Guild Hound), Night Terrors, Silurids, and McTavish.
  • Other Arcanist Masters & Henchmen: Can't do it.
  • Zoraida: Hire a Brutal Effigy, Carrion Effigy, Arcane Effigy, and Hodgepodge Effigy.
  • Collodi: Hire a Brutal Effigy, Carrion Effigy, Arcane Effigy, and Hodgepodge Effigy.
  • Pandora: Hire a Brutal Effigy, Carrion Effigy, Performer + Mannequin, and Desperate Mercenary.
  • Lilith: Hire a Brutal Effigy, Carrion Effigy, Performer + Mannequin, and Desperate Mercenary.
  • The Dreamer: Hire a Brutal Effigy, Night Terror, Arcane Effigy, and Desperate Mercenary.
  • Leveticus: Hire a Watcher, Canine Remains, Ice Gamin, and Wicked Doll.
  • Hamelin: Hire a Guild Hound, Canine Remains, Hoarcat Pride, and Mysterious Effigy.
  • Other Outcast Masters & Henchmen: Can't do it.

That's 10 Masters and 1 Henchman who can do it. A little less than half.

Am I missing anything?

Is your FLGS Game Kastle in San Jose?

How's the league going?

anyway, I never thought of a 5-faction crew... Although I had some ideas for Hoffman, Leveticus and Ramos that you already mentioned. So I don't think you missed anything.

Is your FLGS Game Kastle in San Jose?

Yes, yes it is! And it's fun so far. I missed the first Saturday, so I'm still catching up. But Malifaux Saturdays are always my favorite. Our Henchman is awesome.

I think the achievement should be to win with a five faction crew, otherwise its just worthless if you are throwing the game for it.

@pixelante, I apologize for my local gaming meta having the wrong kind of fun. We'll strive to be less worthless in your eyes in the future.

@Ozz, thanks for the correction! I forgot about The Dreamer not hiring mercenaries! But, yeah, I think Gensuke626 has an alterate build there.

Edited by Hateful Darkblack

I am the henchperson running this event by the way. So if anyone is interested in joining we are entering the 3rd week of 10. There is no entry fee. PM me with your email address and I will send additional details. Incidentally Game Kastle is in Santa Clara. I post weekly about my open play events in the Wyrd Events Forum for NA: http://www.wyrd-games.net/forumdisplay.php?114-North-America

Regarding the nature of the league. This is not really a competitive event. We have a small, casual group of players who wanted something organized, but did not want anything as formal as a tournament. Since I follow a policy of “casual gamers are still gamers” I put together a league focused on getting people to try new masters/units. Technically there are prizes but none of the achievements require you to win games. When you only have say...6 regular players with pretty stratified skill levels, it becomes necessary to adjust events to accommodate everyone.

Yes, yes it is! And it's fun so far. But Malifaux Saturdays are always my favorite. Our Henchman is awesome.

I agree! Megnc86 is awesome! she made Malifaux less intimidating.

I played against a local Neverborn player (his name escapes me) but his Zoraida/Collodi combo pretty much PWNED my Ortegas crew.. :P

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

I am the henchperson running this event by the way. So if anyone is interested in joining we are entering the 3rd week of 10. There is no entry fee. PM me with your email address and I will send additional details. Incidentally Game Kastle is in Santa Clara. I post weekly about my open play events in the Wyrd Events Forum for NA: http://www.wyrd-games.net/forumdisplay.php?114-North-America

Regarding the nature of the league. This is not really a competitive event. We have a small, casual group of players who wanted something organized, but did not want anything as formal as a tournament. Since I follow a policy of “casual gamers are still gamers” I put together a league focused on getting people to try new masters/units. Technically there are prizes but none of the achievements require you to win games. When you only have say...6 regular players with pretty stratified skill levels, it becomes necessary to adjust events to accommodate everyone.

Do the results of the league affect the Dead Heat Campaign?

I played against a local Neverborn player (his name escapes me) but his Zoraida/Collodi combo pretty much PWNED my Ortegas crew.. :P

That would be Chris. He does that to all of us. :)

Do the results of the league affect the Dead Heat Campaign?

They're separate, but as long as it's a game against a different faction, games can be reported to Dead Heat as usual.

That would be Chris. He does that to all of us. :)

They're separate, but as long as it's a game against a different faction, games can be reported to Dead Heat as usual.

Ah Chris... yes, he almost convinced me to get Neverborn... at least Collodi... those puppets are just annoying... LOL

At least Papa Loco blew up and took down some puppets and marionettes.... which he then brought back on the the table..