Illinois Newcomer

grey3

Hey everyone.

I am a man of many names, but most commonly known as "Grey." I just ordered the Perdita set (coming in the mail on Saturday!) and am very excited to play a skirmish game again.

Most of my tabletop gaming takes the form of adventuring with a party in Dungeons and Dragons (my wife being the current DM), but long ago I used to play Mage Knight way too much. I still have all of my figures! I know it grew into Heroclix, but that never appealed to me much. Getting out of college, before getting back into grad school, left me wanting to play a miniatures game.

Hence I started a search in earnest arriving at Malifaux! I'm very excited to paint such interesting figures and even more excited to play!

Not sure how active I'll be on the forums, I have a bad habit of not logging on regularly. But if I can see some awesome paint jobs and get some good tips I'm sure I'll visit routinely!

Welcome to Malifaux Grey!

Like you, I've recently been drawn in and have been slowly but surely amassing more and more minis.. I'm also in Illinois (Bolingbrook) and my buddy lives in Aurora.

Whereabout in Illinois? We have a quite a few members out here scattered all over the state.

Hey Grey, Welcome to Malifaux. Mydnight, Pgbsamurai, and I tend to form the main core of players here. For awhile it as mainly Mydnight and I butting heads for about a good long while, so you can imagine how happy we are to play against others *wink*. However the scene is starting to pick up quite a bit, there are many new people starting the game so there are individuals of all skill levels to play with.

There is a group for Illinois players here on the forums you should join, and if you send me a PM I'll add you to my mailing list of local players. Additionally the Armored Gopher has a Malifaux night every other Thursday, next week is the next scheduled one and we would love to see you there. Additionally Mydnight and I tend to get together far more frequently when work allows and if you are ever interested in a game let us know.

Keep us posted, and again welcome to Malifaux!

Welcome to Malifaux! Check your sanity at the door and enjoy your complimentary soul stone :-) Fetid got the drop on things but I also wanted to say hi! We both do a lot of painting and bang heads together a lot. The Gopher has a lot of new players showing up and it'd be great if you joined us. Whether you're looking for fun games or something more intense I'm sure we can set you up with a variety of opponents. Feel free to drop us a PM :-)

Welcome to Malifaux Grey!

Like you, I've recently been drawn in and have been slowly but surely amassing more and more minis.. I'm also in Illinois (Bolingbrook) and my buddy lives in Aurora.

Whereabout in Illinois? We have a quite a few members out here scattered all over the state.

As an aside, 3 of us are in Naperville, with a friend in Aurora. Do we know each other? :)

Gruesome,

I'm not sure if we "officially" know each other but I think we may have met.. By chance were you at Adepticon during the Friday cake match? I played someone from Aurora but the weekend went so fast I misplaced his name. Nicely painted Seamus crew? I was the Neverborn Lilith crew.. If not, then there are more of us BNA's out there somewhere..

Being a decent clip away from any LGS to call home Paul and I usually just meet up once a week to throw down. But if there's more in the area I'd be all for getting something going with some your group someday. Let me know if your guys would be up for it and I'm sure we can get something together.

Gruesome,

I'm not sure if we "officially" know each other but I think we may have met.. By chance were you at Adepticon during the Friday cake match? I played someone from Aurora but the weekend went so fast I misplaced his name. Nicely painted Seamus crew? I was the Neverborn Lilith crew.. If not, then there are more of us BNA's out there somewhere..

Being a decent clip away from any LGS to call home Paul and I usually just meet up once a week to throw down. But if there's more in the area I'd be all for getting something going with some your group someday. Let me know if your guys would be up for it and I'm sure we can get something together.

I did not play Seamus, I was Nicodem for the weekend. I would not call anything I paint "nice". I *WAS* at the cake tournament though, our team made the blood-covered blue Teddy cake and also the Skull cake with the chocolate-filled red velvet coffins. (And throughout the weekend there was pretty much a bottle of Whiskey planted at my table)

My son and I play 1-2 times a week. (He was the only kid playing Malifaux at the last two adepticons)

The main other person we play with (And his son) are actually leaving for Italy for almost a month this weekend. :( (Well, good for them, I suppose... ;) )

Our friend in Aurora has been so busy with work the last couple of months that he has not been meeting up with us. We have a couple friends in the city we play with too, but seldom these days because of schedules. So, in the short term, its just me and my son.

We do not have a regular place that we meet at, rather just meeting at our respective houses as there is no LGS within a few minutes of us and getting to G+ is difficult with our schedules. (Still want to check out the new place in Elmhurst though)

The next couple of Saturdays are bad for me, but do you have any thoughts on Saturday mornings in general?

And now that school will be out, I think week nights are getting better too. Any Tuesdays or Wednesdays work?

Edited by Gruesome

Oh, I think I remember you now Gruesome. I believe I played your son in the cake tournament, I was the guy with the Viktorias who gave him the laminated reference sheet, if I'm remembering right.

I'm actually in the process of applying to be a Henchman at a game store opening tomorrow in Schaumburg near Golf and Higgins. Is that any easier for you guys to get to?

That's us. That reference sheet is great.

I think Schaumburg and Elmhurst are roughly the same distance for us. What part of Schaumburg in relation to woodfield mall?

Its cool that there is another store opening though and that you are going to be a henchman. :)

A bit South West of the mall if I recall correctly. I am starting to think I am cursed to never live in a city that has a game store. The last three games stores to open in the area have all been in or very near cities I have lived in over the past 10 years :)

It's not an accepted application yet, but here's to hoping. :) The Gaming Goat will be at 1115 North Salem Drive, and is about 3 miles west of Woodfield.

Well the app will have the blessing of the Godfather, so it should go through assuming you don't answer the questions like a serial killer. Even then it still may pass, have you met some of the Henchman around here :)

I am in Peotone (which is about 1/2 way between Champaign and Chicago). We have a few people who play and funny enough even though we put Malifaux in the 50% off bin we have had a bunch of people join in.

50% off bin?

Ok, Is there perchance a Lucius Boxset, a peacekeeper and any of the new models in the 50% off bin? ;)

When I was a kid (Ancient times, horse and buggy, yadda yadda) we lived in the southside suburbs and we used to drive to Peotone to go swimming in a strange man-made lake every summer. It was always packed and very fun. (This was like 1974-75 or so)

Well the app will have the blessing of the Godfather, so it should go through assuming you don't answer the questions like a serial killer. Even then it still may pass, have you met some of the Henchman around here :)

You make Wyrd an offer they can't refuse eh? I'm still waiting to become a made (Hench)-Man B-)

You make Wyrd an offer they can't refuse eh? I'm still waiting to become a made (Hench)-Man B-)

LOL, more like whenever someone in the state seems to want to be a Henchman they always come to me first and ask how to do it and then I volunteer to give a good word for them in with the Wrangler. Not sure if it helps or hurts anyone but I always give them a heads up that your app is coming and vouch for you guys. :)

The next couple of Saturdays are bad for me, but do you have any thoughts on Saturday mornings in general?

And now that school will be out, I think week nights are getting better too. Any Tuesdays or Wednesdays work?

Likewise on the next couple Saturdays for me but after that Saturday mornings are pretty good for me since the wife works 3 of the 4 of them. Of course, the ones she doesn't are off limits for me (if I know what's good for me that is :D ).

As for weeknights, Paul and I play Thursdays. Mondays are my other free night. I'm sure I could squeeze in the occasional Tuesday or Wednesday but I don't want to risk too much Wife-aggro if you know what I mean..

Let me know if there are some good dates coming up and I'm sure we can set something up.

There are Thursday I will be able to play too, but for the next 2 weeks I have softball games Thursdays. They are on Wednesdays or Thursday nights depending on schedule and it seems like the first half of the season is mostly Thursday nights. Towards mid July it looks like Thursdays will start opening up and that night will work good for me to play.