Ten Thunders and Japanese Culture

Hey all

I have an idea for a Malifaux story and it involves the Ten Thunders, a little influence from Kirai (as in her origin), plus a large bit of Japanese reference.

I'm trying to remember who Ten Thunders are, as I remember the Twisting Fates stroy where Misaki fought against a rival clan, can't recall if they were both a part of the Ten Thunders or what.

I'm mainly interested in looking at daily routine and attitude to ("real") medicine, with other extra details that would help to add authenticity to the story. Also interested in the relation between masters and servants in a household.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers =]

You might want to expand your search to China and Korea vice Japan since the Ten Thuders are from the Three Kingdoms not from Japan.

Also for research check out some of the kung fu movies such as Once Upon a Time in China or Tai Chi Master (which deal pretty heavily with Chinese Medicine in their stories).

Also for chinese medicine check out Wong Fei Hung.

Edited by Omenbringer

Also look into the historical yakuza, the Ten Thunders seem based off them.

Not really. They are pretty generic. You could as well claim they are based off Chinese triads. Nothing ties them up to Japanese culture specifically other than Misaki's name and weapon (but then, her looks are more Chinese style).

Kirai is more specifically rooted in Japanese culture, as her spirits are based on Japanese myths and legends, but the looks allude to very early period (8th c. or so) and that means they are very very deeply influenced by the contemporary China. Much more so than later in Japanese history. In other words, you'd be less off making Kirai's crew in Chinese style than if you made her into later-period Japanese style.

But then, it is pretty cleverly done in my opinion, as Malifaux' Far East is all one thing - Three Kingdoms and Japanese and Chinese motives are mixed freely.

Not really. They are pretty generic. You could as well claim they are based off Chinese triads. Nothing ties them up to Japanese culture specifically other than Misaki's name and weapon (but then, her looks are more Chinese style).

Kirai is more specifically rooted in Japanese culture, as her spirits are based on Japanese myths and legends, but the looks allude to very early period (8th c. or so) and that means they are very very deeply influenced by the contemporary China. Much more so than later in Japanese history. In other words, you'd be less off making Kirai's crew in Chinese style than if you made her into later-period Japanese style.

But then, it is pretty cleverly done in my opinion, as Malifaux' Far East is all one thing - Three Kingdoms and Japanese and Chinese motives are mixed freely.

...For a moment I was about to disagree with you, and then remembered where you're from, and that you're much more knowledgeable about this than I am, LOL. Thanks for the correction though!

Also Q'iq'el you forgot about Korea which should also probably be included in the Malifaux triad of Asian Powers.

It may well be so, but neither Misaki/Ten Thunders nor Kirai have easily distinguishable Korean elements. We'll see what else Wyrd comes up with, though. :)

The clan Misaki fought was the Dervish Swords. Their leader had a Korean name, but they were not necessarily from Korea. I would have placed them somewhere in China, but I think Q'iq'el's point about the intermixability of the cultures in Malifaux is a good one. Yeah, that's a word now.

All of the Ten Thunders Brothers had Japanese Yakuza names, and the scenes with them featured elements from the Yakuza.

Well, you would know, Sholto. (unintended rhyming) I thought I recognized some elements of the yakuza. Granted, all that I know of the yakuza comes from a handful of cracked articles and the Battletech novels, so I'd hardly call myself a subject matter expert...

Perhaps I should re-read the fluff, but the point I'm trying to make is the original organizations (as far as my limited knowledge goes) are not as unique and woven into the local culture (infiltrating local communities is another thing) as the popular fiction makes them. Therefore it doesn't matter that much what the story was originally based on as the setting will work just as well for non-Japanese groups of this kind and isn't unique enough to require or link then definitely with Japan, real or fictional.

Names, as far as I'm concerned, fall under a show-not-tell principle. In other words merely giving someone a Japanese name doesn't necessarily makes him a Japanese person. :-P

Gee whiz thanks peeps =]

I suppose I wanted to look at Japanese culture becuase I'm looking at other aspects within that culture too, but I suppose Wyrd mix it up anyway.

Found some interesting stuff on the Yakuza, but want to stay away from manga and film sources there. I like historical influences more than popular culture, even if what I'm creating is popular culture ;) I think my main issue is defining what periods in Asian history Malifaux refers to, as that will define the technology they have access to and the attitudes of the characters. I know we're talking Steampunk, but I'd still like to have historical reference to add to context and authenticity.

I'm currently looking at the Endo Period, Boshin War, Meiji Period, Three Kingdoms, Zhou Dynsaty, Qin Dynasty, Taiping Rebellion as well as traditional Chinese medicine, etc. So a mixture of traditional and industrial revolution.

Clothing, building interiors and props are the tricky part because of the cultural amalgamation. I'm thinking of equipping many of the warriors with a wakizashi due to the social status they represent (superior to peasant, insuperior to noble/Samurai). There's also the kama/kai, sickle, butterfly swords, Guan Dao, seven-branched blade, etc - martial arts seems like a good source there. There's also the inclusion of guns and that draws comparison to the Japanese adoption of Western culture (since Chinese industrialisation was rather staggered), which influenced fashion among other things.

Clothing wise, I'm looking at the various models and trying to figure out how they connect to historical sources. There's the Japanese kimono, the Chinese hanfu and Qing Dynasty changshan (male) and cheongsam/qípáo (female) and I suppose the Korean hanbok to pick and mix from - fun times =]

Anyway, at least I now know who to ask if I need help ;)

Consider the Ten Thunders, and by association, the Three Kingdoms a blending of Asian themes. The predominant being Chinese/Japanese/Korean and Vietnamese.

There are specific aspects of all these individual groups present within the 3K as well as a blending of their influences. So where the Ten Thunders definitely lean toward a yakuza-style organization, other crime groups may borrow from tongs or blend the two constructs together into something wholly unique.

Unlike much of the Three Kingdoms, the Ten Thunders have chosen to embrace some of the more Western concepts (like guns). Part of it is thanks to their ability to bypass the border restrictions and "closed society" mandates from the Emperor.

Edited by Keltheos

Never thought about Vietnam, some lovely clothing there =]

You hit an interesting point that I've been mulling over in relation more to my story and less the general definition of the Three Kingdoms, and that's their acceptance of Western culture. My guess is that organised crime groups would likely adopt what they consider the best tools, but still hold onto traditional beliefs and rituals. It's most relevant in my story through medicine, with the contrast between developing Western science (drawing from 19th century sources), and traditional five phase theory and herbal medicine.

I'm having too much fun =D

I'm currently looking at the Endo Period, Boshin War, Meiji Period, Three Kingdoms, Zhou Dynsaty, Qin Dynasty, Taiping Rebellion as well as traditional Chinese medicine, etc. So a mixture of traditional and industrial revolution.

Right before the Boxer rebellion in China would be a pretty neat time.