Gencon 2012 - Malifaux Events

nilus

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the plan is to get them posted here in the next few weeks. The lovely Neverata is doing most of the event pre-planning and I plan to bug her about it starting next week. Figure I wouldn't start bugging her much until after her team GT was out of the way.

Once I know more I will let you all know as well.

Edit: Also updated the numbers for the events. ONLY 3 TICKETS LEFT FOR THE MASTERS! Most events have less then 10 tickets left.

Edited by nilus

Another one bites the dust, First into the Breach is sold out. A Wyrd encounter is down to 4 tickets.

16 tickets left for "One Way Ticket". I heard a rumor that a popular Henchman/lover of puppets/possibly the God Father of Malifaux Podcasting may be playing in this event. So that might offer some incentive for some people to sign up.

I am split on announcing strats prior to the event. On one hand, I can see the advantage. You are more likely to know what you're going to take in that round and you can think ahead a little bit. You can be a bit more calm and deliberative.

On the other hand, I feel that the frantic 10-15 minute setup period after hearing the strat is part of what makes Malifaux, well, Malifaux, especially in tournaments. I kinda like the excitement and time pressure of not knowing the strat. Then once learning it, trying to craft the best crew and pick schemes based on that strat and the faction I am playing; all in a few minutes time.

There is plenty of excitement in a tourney, and I know missing that setup phase won't ruin it for me, but I will feel that a little something was missing.

On the other hand, I feel that the frantic 10-15 minute setup period after hearing the strat is part of what makes Malifaux, well, Malifaux, especially in tournaments. I kinda like the excitement and time pressure of not knowing the strat. Then once learning it, trying to craft the best crew and pick schemes based on that strat and the faction I am playing; all in a few minutes time.

Very true, but the events at Gencon are already going to be running on a compressed time schedule so the preference is to get the strategies posted pre-con so people can be prepared and setup quicker.

Which is why I am working on getting the info for you guys. Things are a bit crazy at Wyrd HQ right now but I am hoping to have more info to you guys in the next couple weeks.

Very true, but the events at Gencon are already going to be running on a compressed time schedule so the preference is to get the strategies posted pre-con so people can be prepared and setup quicker.

Which is why I am working on getting the info for you guys. Things are a bit crazy at Wyrd HQ right now but I am hoping to have more info to you guys in the next couple weeks.

I think that'll work out just fine.

Was just wondering as I dont have a completely painted crew and I am coming over from the UK, what is the chances of having some casual games as I cant enter any of the official Wyrd events then.

I would say chances are very high, I personally am not in any events(conflict of interest and such) so I will be looking to get in as many casual games as I can.

Updated the numbers. Just a reminder that there is a painting requirement for all Malifaux events.

From Gaining Grounds

Painting Rules

In an Official Tournament, a player is required to have fully-painted and based models

without any visible bare metal or primer. The paint job should look like the painter made

an effort to stay within the lines and enhance the appearance of the model with their

painting. Bases should not be bare.

Do you know of the strats for the 2 story encounters are going to be the same, or is each one going to have different ones?

I believe the plan is different ones. Just got word that we should be getting more official info on the events sometime soon.

I remember hearing a while back that Wyrd might be running an "Iron Arena" type thing for casual games, where players could earn some kind of points for playing pick up games in the hall. Is that still a thing? I'm personally not into tournament play, but I will be bringing a boatload of my Malifaux stuff and look forward to getting some games in.

I remember hearing a while back that Wyrd might be running an "Iron Arena" type thing for casual games, where players could earn some kind of points for playing pick up games in the hall. Is that still a thing? I'm personally not into tournament play, but I will be bringing a boatload of my Malifaux stuff and look forward to getting some games in.

Not to belabor the point, but any new info on this?