Argentbadger's Malifaux Miniatures

This is the Carrion Emissary, a nice centrepiece model for my Resurrectionist crews. The Carrion Emissary brings some rather useful abilities to Resurrectionist crews, having a really nice (short) ranged attack and the option to put down blocking terrain pieces called Shards of Kythera. On crowded boards this can be crippling to some crews all on its own. Not only that, but when the Shards disappear they can have a Mindless Zombie appear. This is, of course, very useful for anyone who wants corpse markers handy for either summoning (Nicodem) or attacking (Reva). One of the most interesting things about the Carrion Emissary is that it can choose from one of eight free upgrades; a generic one and a specific one for each master. I've prefered the generic one in most cases as there is often a frustrating anti-synergy to go with the benefits of the master-specific upgrades (and I should point out that most people seem to prefer to pay for My Little Helper anyway so that a second set of Shards can be employed).

I painted up the Emissary sort of like a big crow, but realised that a black beak didn't look right so it got a light brown beak instead. It was really nice to play with a large model like this and I spent a bit longer highlighting the wings than normal. The clothes ended up looking a bit like it's cosplaying as Obi-Wan Kenobi but this wasn't intentional; anyway I like the contrast with the dark feathers. There is supposed to be some kind of skull doo-dah in the right hand but it kept falling off so in the end I just gave up on trying to keep it attached.

imgp4914.jpg

imgp4915.jpg

imgp4917.jpg

imgp4916.jpg

• Like 3

Good call on the beak. Ties in nicely with the other colours and draws the eye up towards the face. Wings also look great, black is hard to get right but they look spot on.

Think the wash in the paler fabric might be a bit heavy. Gave it a great colour but the pooling is pretty heavy in some areas.

Don't really feel the absence of the skull thingamajig. There's still plenty of visual interest in that area with the way you've picked out the details on the underside of the wings and the way he's posed with one hand weapon looks completely normal with the other hand held back in a fist.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks lusciousmccabe!  I think you've really nailed it pointing out the excess wash on the creamy coloured cloth; perhaps I'll go back and tidy that up.  I appreciate the achievable feedback.

Here's Anna Lovelace, sister of Hannah (who is never given a surname that I've seen). She's part of the Resurrectionist faction, but as a Mercenary she can show up with anyone. I really love to use Anna in my crews; she provides three main benefits. Firstly, she has Rush of Magic. It's not a big deal but in a game of cards having a bit of extra deck cycling is pretty nice. Secondly, she has a really good ranged attack; it has minimum damage of 3 and doesn't randomise into combat. Considering that my normal play in Molly crews (where Anna shows up most for me) is to ram my entire crew down the other crew's throat as fast as possible, not randomising into melee is huge. Finally, she has abilities that stop enemy models pushing or placing near her. This might seem small but the number of crews now with little pushes to get in or out of combat or something is quite large and making them play around this can lead to interesting effects.

As Anna is thematically a Freikorps model, I painted her according to my others. So primarily grey armour (clockwork dress in Anna's case, which sounds rather uncomfortable) with pink for contrast. She was a quick, easy paint job and I think she looks quite fine.

imgp4884.jpg

imgp4887.jpg

imgp4886.jpg

• Like 3

Here are Shieldbearers for my Resurrectionist crews. They're an interesting option, starting out with the Living keyword, then healing all wounds and gaining the Spirit keyword once they die (only once of course). They're thematically linked with Reva, and support her well enough by dropping a corpse marker when then 'die' the first time, but I like them better with Kirai. For a start, they start out Living and so can trigger Malevolence, then become Spirits and can use the numerous abilities on Kirai that are relevant to that keyword. They're great for Kirai's summoning since they have a lot of wounds for their cost and have I-can't-believe-it's-not-Hard-to-Kill in the middle of them. Since they gain Fast when a nearby model uses a Soulstone they're also good for hanging around a summoner. Their actual abilities are quite modest after that lot, but they can fight, survive and scheme well enough that I like putting them on the table.

I very much enjoyed working on the Shieldbearers. By the standards of Malifaux models they're incredibly easy to put together and I like the poses. Even the ludicrous Final Fantasy style giant weapons seem to work for them. I went with a naturalistic colour scheme for these since they're just regular humans among the ghosts, zombies and wizards (or combinations of all three) that comprise the majority of the Resurrectionist faction. The one with the sheathed sword's head reminded me passingly of my Grandma so I painted the Shieldbearer to have grey hair in her honour.

imgp4888.jpg

imgp4890.jpg

imgp4892.jpg

imgp4891.jpg

• Like 3

These are a pair of Goryo for my Resurrectionists. I was partly drawn to the idea of playing Resurrectionists because of how cool these miniatures are, and the fact that I can play them with Molly to give them Black Blood really sealed the decision. They're remarkably fast, have a good (0) action that never does what I need but always draws a card from the other player and can make opponents Slow with a trigger on their sword attacks. Perhaps more importantly for Molly, they are summonable and come on the largest base size. Since Molly's summoning is affected by how many enemy models are it on arrival, this is really useful and is frequently the reason that I would summon them rather than Shikome at the same cost. Once summoned, I don't really do anything clever with the Goryo, just stand next to something and stab it repeatedly, and hope to splash Black Blood around if anyone dares to attack back.

Assembling the Goryo was extremely frustrating as the main body doesn't line up very well with all the attached ghosts, and they're all twisted round each other (and the sword arms) to make the tiny contact points tricky to reach. Once complete, the painting was similarly awkward as I had to work around the ghosts to get to the kimono underneath and I spent a lot of time re-painting sections that my clumsy hands had marked. Once I got to the end of the process it felt all worthwhile and I remembered why I'd bought the miniatures in the first place.

imgp4918.jpg

imgp4919.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the Graveyard Spirit, a totem available to all Resurrectionist Masters. It pretty much does one thing only, which is to provide armour to friendly models in base contact. Notwithstanding the huge number of things in the game that totally ignore armour, this is quite good at making your crew last longer. Surprisingly, no-one ever seems to bother attacking the Graveyard Spirit directly. It works quite nicely as a totem for spirit Molly since she gives it Black Blood and conveniently won't bleed all over it. In a pinch, you can therefore use the Graveyard Spirit as a sort of Black Blood bomb by moving it to an annoying position then hurting it yourself in order to damage nearby enemies.

I didn't do anything clever with the painting. The ghost part is white with a faint green wash and the gravestone is just boring grey. An easy but effective paint job for a cheap model; I'm rather pleased with the result.

imgp4920.jpg

imgp4921.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is Datsue Ba, another part of my Resurrectionist crews. Like many I've painted recently, Datsue Ba has the Spirit keyword giving her some nice synergy with both Molly (when taking the Forgotten Path upgrade) and Kirai. I've mainly used her as a bully of opposing scheme runners as she can get additional free attacks on a trigger to her melee option and more amusingly can summon ghosts from those she kills with her spells. Picking the right target at the right time can give a very useful attrition swing as the other crew loses a member while I gain one. Datsue Ba has few wounds but is often inefficient to attack considering that she is both Terrifying and Incorporeal; she certainly doesn't want to be in the thick of the action but seems to work best floating on the edges of an engagement picking off the weak stragglers and turning them into my own Onryo and Gaki.

I chose to make Datsue Ba's skin look ghostly rather than rotting and in retrospect I should have chosen a different colour for her dress as there is too much green in the end. I realised after I finished the paintwork that she looks like <a href="https://thebovineoverlord.wordpress.com/2014/10/04/painted-yamaziko/" rel="noopener" target="_blank">Yamaziko</a> has died and become a vengeful spirit. Overall not the most inspiring miniature I've worked on but I'm really glad to get her out of the queue and into the crew (not that I have any qualms about playing with unpainted miniatures).

I think that Datsue Ba is based on some actual Japanese folklore, but I've never yet had a satisfactory explanation of why she has an octopus on her lantern.

imgp4971.jpg

imgp4972.jpg

imgp4974.jpg

imgp4973.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good, although the fleshtone is hard to make out with the white background.

I don't think the green is excessive. There's a big enough difference in value between the skin and the dress for them to be distinctive and it looks well against the yellow of the lantern and the dark hair. If you added a big swathe of another colour it might have been too much in terms of composition to be honest with you. Plus monochrome green really puts me in mind of a cartoon ghost.

Now the real question is whether or not the octopus is a ghost. :D