Argentbadger's Malifaux Miniatures

Hello everyone. Here’s my first post on the Wyrd forums, and indeed my first post on any forum for a decade or so. My gaming group and I have started to experiment with Malifaux over the last few weeks, though we all have a long war-gaming background. So far, I’ve got to say I am pretty impressed with the game.

All four of us agreed to purchase a starter box to see how Malifaux worked. I somewhat arbitrarily selected Sonnia Criid’s Witch Hunters, though to be honest I could have chosen any one of half a dozen crews and been happy with the miniatures. As none of us know what is good or not, the selections were based on aesthetics rather than in-game effectiveness.

Anyway, here’s my first painted Malifaux miniature, Samael Hopkins.

imgp2517.jpg

imgp2519.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks. In the case of the shoulder pad, I’m going to hide behind the age-old excuse of ‘they look better in real life’. It was a sunny day when I took the pictures, and the shoulder pads are at the perfect angle and shininess to really show up with the sun on them. I guess this would be a reason to do NMM, but I’ve never really felt the inspiration to try and learn how.

The base is one of the Victorian base inserts from Wyrd. I’ve never used base inserts before but (apart from the pain in the neck that was getting him pinned to the base) I’d say that the improvement in looks is probably worth it. The bases are expensive enough that I wouldn’t consider it for a large scale game, but for such a small number of miniatures as are required for Malifaux I am happy with the results.

Witchling Stalkers ahoy! These little dudes were lots of fun to paint.

imgp2516.jpg

I stuck with the same brown and cream coloured scheme I used on Samael Hopkins, as it’s easy to apply and looks fairly nice. I tried to suggest the magic nature of their shattered rune blades with a green ink wash, but it hasn’t really come out very well. I think that the green thread on the back of this one is a bit of static grass; it’s not stuck on.

imgp2508.jpg

imgp2510.jpg

Mainly in the interests of livening up the colour scheme a little I made the neckerchief / face mask red and gave them (slightly) glowing green eyes. I’m fairly happy with how the eyes turned out, though the miniatures are rather downward looking so it’s not all that obvious thanks to their cowls.

imgp2511.jpg

imgp2512.jpg

Here’s one where the green ink on the shattered rune blade stood out a bit better. It kind of looks mouldy rather than magical, so perhaps it’s for the best that it didn’t come out too strongly. The photo here seems to have suffered particularly badly from the infestation of static grass.

imgp2513.jpg

imgp2515.jpg

I love these little guys. They look good and they’re great on the table top.

I thin the cream parts look really good and work well with these guys, it's a shame the green didn't show up, although I can see it on the last one and it doesn't look too bad, I like it.

Nice job on Samael too, those eyes are looking good, I can never get mine to come out! Great stuff!

That static grass sticks out like a sore thumb in photographs, I get that with almost every picture I take XD

@Oscilliath: Thanks. The eyes are (like everything else I paint) done in the simplest way I can manage. Basically, just paint a horizontal white line in roughly the right place, then a vertical black line through the centre. After that, just touch up above and below, and the job is done. I'd be a lot less irritated with the static grass if I'd actually used it on these miniatures!

@NinjaBreadMen: Thanks. I'm still a little ambivalent about the swords. The ones which most clearly shown the green look a bit mouldy rather than magical to me, so I'm going to leave them a while and see how I feel after a few weeks.

As for Sonnia Criid herself, here she is in all her glory. She was a pleasure to paint. The sculpting and the pose made the miniature a joy to get to work on, and I'm very happy with the results. As ever, there are a few things I can see now that I have the giant magnified picture available, but that's always the case when you're as clumsy at painting as I am. In particular the smudge around the lips (chocolate?) is literally not visible to the naked eye.

I chose to paint the crew in more muted colours after the primary colour-fest of my Ogresses (see my blog for more details, if you're interested).

imgp2521.jpg

imgp2522.jpg

Here's the crew so far.

imgp2524.jpg

I've been impressed enough with Malifaux to order some more miniatures, specifically an Austringer, a Witchling Handler, an Exorcist and a pair of Guild Hounds. As I don't really know what use anything has in game, it's all part of the experiment.

• 1 month later...

As part of the Malifaux tournament I just played in, I had to make up some markers for one of the strategies, A Line in the Sand. After some consideration, I decided that powder kegs were the most appropriate easiest option, and set about it. These are some of the barrels left from my Ogresses (see my blog if you're interested), with a bit of paper clip sticking out and a little blob of Milliput on the end. Then I painted them quickly. They’re not meant to win prizes (and indeed, they did not), but they’ll do the job and to be honest I just don’t find the scenery building aspect of the hobby very inspiring (which is why I never do any). Anyway, here they are; you can see the hand of my little helper, Argentbadger Junior, in the background.

imgp2575.jpg

The red and black basing was just a thought to save me making ten of them – the idea is that the red side can be turned to face whichever player has control. In practice, as everyone at the tournament had them, we just swapped in and out as needed.

I knew I recognised your crew at the Tourney! Just thought it may be a little odd to instantly say "Don't I know these from somewhere" :P

They looked really good on the table! Really great aesthetic and well matched to each other! Hopefully we can get a game in sometime: I've still never faced a guild crew in all my matches

@Ninjabreadmen: Thanks. I too recognised your excellent Gremlins from this site, but saying so always sounds a little too close to 'I totally stalk you on the internet'. I'd be happy to play you sometime as I have never played against Gremlins in the dozen or so games I've had.

@Rameses: Guilty as charged. Lucky for me that it's hard to tell at tabletop distance!

• 3 weeks later...

@ Vinncent: Thanks very much. It's just a few applications of the washes from GW's range (sepia over cream paint in this case). They can make a poor paint job look good enough for table top, which is all I'm really looking for.

Here are a pair of Guild Hounds for my fledgling Malifaux crew. In keeping with the muted colours of the rest of the crew, I went for grey fur and cream body armour. I conciously chose not to add pupils to their eyes as this gives them a slightly more scary look, and also adds a necessary patch of brightness which is otherwise lacking.

imgp2569.jpg

imgp2571.jpg

imgp2573.jpg

imgp2572.jpg

This is a Austringer for my Malifaux Guild crew. I used the same colour scheme as for the rest of the crew, with a bright red bandanna just to liven it up a bit. The bird itself has three ‘rows’ of feathers on its wings and painted them in different colours and then used a wash to link them back together. Like the Guild Hounds, I deliberately left the eyes without pupils. Overall, it feel like there’s something missing here, but I can’t really put my finger on it.

imgp2583.jpg

imgp2585.jpg

imgp2584.jpg

Next on the painting table: a Witchling Handler.

Overall, it feel like there’s something missing here, but I can’t really put my finger on it.

Nice work, I like the cream, and those hounds look fantastic. They are great models and deserve a bright paintjob.

Do you think the 'something missing' is 'highlighting'? Maybe you've done some, and it just doesn't come up in photographs. I know my photos of my own models eliminate all highlights.

@WarlockFiretop: You could well be right. I tend to just use drybrushing for highlighting as I am more of a 'tabletop quality' painter. However, all my miniatures are like that, so I think that there is something different in my failings on the Austringer in particular. The photos certainly haven't done the Raptor any favours, but it's not like I was about to win a painting competition with it anyway. Thanks very much for the compliments, and for couching the critique in such nice terms.

Very nice work. You successfully use washed and fairly simple methods to achieve very nice effects. I like the colors scheme you chose for Austringers. I'll be painting mine soon and might give it a try to as most of my other Guild minis have dark coats.

@Darklyte and Viruk: Thanks! I am not aiming to achieve the fantastic quality of work that some posters here produce, but I am satisfied with the ratio of effort and time to effect.

Here is a painted Witchling Handler. I’ve been struggling to get much value out of the miniature in game terms, apart from pushing Witchling Stalkers around. Still, the miniature is pretty nice and I enjoyed painting it up a lot. Pinning the miniature to the base was a bit of a pain since I rather stupidly put it on a grille, which allowed the minimum possible contact points.

imgp2578.jpg

imgp2581.jpg

imgp2582.jpg