PIMP DADDY NICO!! **pic heavy**

Ausplosions

I like your basing a lot!

It's a little hard to tell, due to somewhat dim lighting, but it looks like you've got a good thing going, but could probably water down your paint a little-- looks like your highlights are a little thick.

How did you get the blood effect on "rafkin"? I like the smear...

If this is your first time painting I'm pretty impressed! The colour choices are nice, and the purple works well on Nicodem, good job.

It might just be the pictures but the stone on the bases looks a little bright and monotonous, could use a wash. Might be the lighting affecting the camera though.

Great stuff! :)

I like your basing a lot!

It's a little hard to tell, due to somewhat dim lighting, but it looks like you've got a good thing going, but could probably water down your paint a little-- looks like your highlights are a little thick.

How did you get the blood effect on "rafkin"? I like the smear...

Cheers!! I'm quite proud if some of my bases.

Yeah, still getting used to watering down paints. Is the trick to have it quite thin, and the higlight that colour a few times, working up to the brightness I'm after? I struggle to find the line.between to watery and too thick. I mix my paints than add a few drops of water to the pallette till it's a decent consistency. Although the more layers i do means longer painting time which means my pallette is drying. So I try and get it done quickly... any tips?

As for Rafkin, the smear is P3 Sanguine base mixed with Khador red, watered down and brushed lightly with an older brush till I got that look.

And also, any tips on getting better photos/lighting?

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

If this is your first time painting I'm pretty impressed! The colour choices are nice, and the purple works well on Nicodem, good job.

It might just be the pictures but the stone on the bases looks a little bright and monotonous, could use a wash. Might be the lighting affecting the camera though.

Great stuff! :)

Yeah all cobblestone/gravstones are just washed with Devlan Mud. But the problem is there is no texture on any of the stones/graves so there is nothing for the wash to highlight... not sure what to do.....

Re: thinning: I find that acrylic paint retarder (found in about any art store worth a damn, I prefer the stuff in a bottle instead of a tube) thins the paint, while not making it as runny as water

re: photography, the best set up is two diffuse lights, 1 twice the distance (or half the power) as the other, set at 45º angles from the camera (90º from each other). Daylight bulbs and a tripod are about the best you can get without spending a ton of money.

And also, any tips on getting better photos/lighting?

Build a cheap lightbox out of white or black foam core and use a few different lights to illuminate it (if you keep the box relatively small then the foam core will bounce a lot of the light and reduce shadows and glare). I like using at least 1 Daylight bulb and 1 Compact flourescent bulb mounted on those cheap boom style desk lamps (my current set up is 5 lights).