Bleached Models - My Ongoing Malifaux Projects [Heavy on Images]

Wow, that pastel orange is truly lovely. Well done! I'm interested in seeing how it works with Seamus, since the orange is fairly close to his natural flesh color. Are you going to go for more of a Hulk gray or something?

Sorry for the late reply. I am unsure about that, tbh. The problem is, as you stated, the orange color I use as a base color for my models. I will have to think up something awesome. Maybe a blue/gray tone to offer a nice little contrast to the orange?

I haven't really been active or a few months. Haven't really even painted in over 3 months. I did, however, get back into it and finished up the model below that I am using for a role playing game. I am pretty pleased with it, despite me being a wee bit rusty. Enjoy it and look forward to further miniature postings here. :)

20120824_2336581.jpg

It is not really my style, and I am glad to see that someone dares to try something new.

You are very talented, love those details, and even though I am not into those colors, you just nail it, and makes them look fantastic - you really pulled that one off, and I am amazed, because using those colors could turn out so horrible wrong easily, but you sure know what you are doing, keep up the good work! (:

Haha thank you for the praise. To be honest I was really just experimenting with the models and wanted something colorful and somewhat good to look at when on the table.

I think I got the hang of it after painting a couple models. I think it works mostly because the models are all painted in a united color scheme. Masses look better than singles in tabletops.

• 2 months later...

Well I finally got to taking pictures of my Molly and fourth Canine Remains.

I personally am not too fond of how my Molly turned out. Really sloppy job. I just do not dig the model as much as I should, I guess. The oranges really turned out crappy, but I also painted those in a table top game shop instead of at home.

post-10280-1391192596895_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911925969559_thumb.jpg

The pooch is pretty okay, I guess. The model doesn't really leave much to the eye to show that it is actually an undead hound. But it does fit well with my other three doggies.

Probably tomorrow or the day after I will be able to post my two remaining Crooked Men I have yet to finish. They are halfway done and just waiting for me to add the finishing touch. Cheers~

Finally got some time to finish off my second Crooked Man. I really like how he turned out. He was much more fun to paint than my first one.

post-10280-13911925988583_thumb.jpg

One more to go!

I am still undecided what to paint next after that. Got Seamus (Avatar), Necrotic Machine and Copycat Killer.

I do have some Mercs up for grabs as well. Desperate Merc (Female), Miss Conviction (Convict Gunslinger) and Jack Daw. The main reason I am not painting these guys yet is because I do not know how I should paint them. I could use the same color scheme or try to make them actually look like mercs for a change. What do you guys think?

Very nice choice of colors, his clothes look like they've seen better days which suits him just fine. I'd say stick to this color scheme as it looks really nice, especially on undead models.

Thanks. Yeah, he really is one of the lucky miners, who got out of there halfway 'decent'. Haha. :D

Yeah I do like the color scheme. I guess I will just paint my mercs in the same colors and see what I get out of them. ^^

Here's the third and last Crooked Man. I did a little experimenting on this one. First I wanted his head to look a bit like exposed scalp, instead of just a bald head. So I washed it a bit in red and brushed the heck out of it in off whites and bone color.

The Lamp he is holding is my first try on illuminating light sources. I am not really good at it (yet), but you gotta practice somehow. Haha. I tried not to go overboard with the green illumination coming from the lamp, so I held back and mostly added some on his arm/elbow region. Tell me what you think!

post-10280-13911926054677_thumb.jpg.jpg]

I love the bleached look...amazing!

Thank you. ^^

Update:

My Necrotic Machine broke. Fell off of my table and I scooted back with my chair looking for it and crushed it accidently. One of the arms broke off beyond repair (at least for my skills) and he got pretty smooshed too. Going to have to pick up another one to replace him. So instead of wasting time on the loss, I decided to paint another totem I have waiting for paint: Copycat Killer.

post-10280-13911926061924_thumb.jpg.jpg]

I do not really like this model, but he was fun to paint. I painted his ears as part of his hair as well. I just do not like those tiny elf like creatures, though I think he's supposed to be a leprechaun. Another very orange model in my crew. Haha.

Now I am working on my first Mercenary: Jack Daw. Should be an easy and quick paint, since he will consist of only two colors. Grey + Orange. I will keep you posted.

love these every time i see em... copycat looks good i woulnt dismiss the little bugger.. anyway i re-read you complaining about seamus' kneepads earlier in the thread a little late now but you should take a peek at what i did... it was easy and it came out really good in the end... its under my rezzer thread.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?21475-CloudFangs-Rezzers!

love these every time i see em... copycat looks good i woulnt dismiss the little bugger.. anyway i re-read you complaining about seamus' kneepads earlier in the thread a little late now but you should take a peek at what i did... it was easy and it came out really good in the end... its under my rezzer thread.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?21475-CloudFangs-Rezzers!

Heh. As said I enjoyed painting him. I just do not like the model that much. :P

I checked out your thread and kudos. Lots of tasty things there (especially Kirai's kimono...)!

Update:

I finished painting JACK DAW! Hell yeah! As planned with all of my spirits and ghosts, Jack Daw ended up being mostly grey with a stark contrast on his orange. I mixed different light colors to highlight certain portions of Jacky to make him look a little less dull, but still keep the solemn grey tone I wanted to use. Tell me what you think!

post-10280-13911926069647_thumb.jpg.jpg]

post-10280-13911926070314_thumb.jpg.jpg]

I like the limited palette with the orange drawing the eye to the most important features (eyes and the noose). On that note, maybe the wrist ties could've been a different colour, since they aren't as central to the character as the noose and the eyes? But yeah, again great work! I like the base as well and tying the end of the noose to the post is a fun idea.

Thanks! Basically I have a hard time imaging ghosts as spectrals beings of color. So my spirit based models will all be in grey tones with a splash of orange on whatever aspect they focus their spite and anger on. Hanged models will have the orange on their bindings and nooses/ropes and other models will have other things. Once I get a pack of The Drowned the heavy weights that lead to their ultimate demise will also be in orange. ^^

I am going to do something new (and hopefully fun for you)! Every Friday I will post images of my larger ongoing WIPs pertaining to Malifaux (maybe other games once I get to them as well). These are models that I do not paint in one setting and nip at every once in a while. (No worries. I will continue posting regular models inbetween as well!)

The first one in this series will be... Seamus, the Avatar of Dread. BAM!

post-10280-13911926075067_thumb.jpg.jpg]

post-10280-13911926075615_thumb.jpg.jpg]

Yes. Blue skin. But will it be blue in the end? Stay tuned to next Friday's image!

I haven't really been able to do all too much this weekend. Went to my game store and picked up a few models (images below) and I finished another model to add to my crew.

How desperate are you?

post-10280-13911926095648_thumb.jpg

My female Desperate Mercenary. Woot. I really am pleased with how her shirt turned out. I might have to paint more things that way sometime in the future.

This is the first model I have painted recently that shows off a lot of skin and is not undead (who I mostly dry brush). So I kind of went overboard with it and it looks more cartoonish/comic like. I do like it though, because it does pop and catches the eye. :D

Now some of my purchases:

post-10280-13911926096217_thumb.jpg

Bête Noire. A good addition to my crew and actually a long awaited one, following the two models down below as well. I am still pondering on how I will paint her, as she is undead but neither a spirit or a ghost. If you guys have any ideas, feel free to toss them out there!

post-10280-13911926096706_thumb.jpg

How's it hangin'? Finally I got these two guys as well. What more to accentuate Seamus' mind rape abilities than these two guys? They will be painted like my Jack Daw further up in the thread.

post-10280-13911926097153_thumb.jpg

Samurai Punk Zombies! Oh wait. They didn't have those. I picked up tehse guys instead since I wanted to have them anyway. I mostly wanted the punk zombies to add some melee prowess to my Seamus crew, but until my shop is restocked I might as well work on some models I wanted to have anyway.

These guys are going to be interesting to paint, since they mesh metals and skin together. I will have to work out a fun way to combine those two 'materials' and see how it fits in my current scheme.

post-10280-13911926097659_thumb.jpg

What the fudge is that? I actually managed to ruin my old Necrotic Machine model and I was forced to pick up another one. I did dislike the model very much though, so I took the time to look for a better suitable model I can proxy with.

Meet this weird contraption from the Warmachine game. I like this model a whole mot more because it combines undead with machinery very well, unlike the original model which is just a six legged insect thing with syringes. If you guys notice I did pay my old model some respect and planted his left arm onto the new model. I can't wait to paint this guy!

Keep it hangin', bro!

Here are two more finished models for my Seamus crew. The crew, that is slowly becoming an army of undead monstrosities...

post-10280-13911926206811_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911926207465_thumb.jpg

I painted these two just like I did my Jack Daw and as I will any future spirits I will add to my mob of undead friends.

I tried to even give them different hair colors, one leaning towards a white grey and the other an orange grey. I am pretty satisfied with them, even if they are still somewhat sloppy.

Well now it is time for some new additions to this thread. I got two Necropunks for you and some hints at a future project!

Necropunk 1

-He's such a cutie. :D-

post-10280-13911926281901_thumb.jpg

Necropunk 2

-I used this guy in my undead flesh tutorial. I actually like how this model turned out. The whole color blend is awesome.-

post-10280-13911926283138_thumb.jpg

Okay, this is an image of some things I picked up for a future project I will be working on (hopefully soon). I am semi starting a new crew and will go with a different base approach and of course an entirely different color scheme than on my fun undead hordes.

post-10280-1391192628376_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911926281259_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911926282557_thumb.jpg