Discussion on union miner potential

ooshawn

The model hasnt been released yet and many area are strict no proxy which would account for that. What you have in them is for the first time a sifnificant ht2 4 stone minion for archanists. They'll fit a much needed role a cheap decent melee option for archanists.

I didnt really understand how the bury mechanic changed them. Basically now they function something along the lines of burying them all, running forward a MSU member, then ubrying them all at the end of the turn. When they unbury they can't all attack right?

No, but they can attack the turn after they pop back up, IIRC.

I like the Miners, personally. They are comparable to our other 4SS minions, but with some unique applications. A lone miner is not nearly as good a gang, so one can't just throw them away like Gamin. The key to getting the most out of them, IMHO, is packing at least several other M&SU Members, since if there are no Union Miners or M&SU Members around when it comes time for them to pop up, they go away. One of my favorite ideas is packing the Miners with Avatar Colette. All of aColette's models, even the dupes, are M&SU members, which gives you a rather dizzying array of attack vectors/speedy transport systems. The dupes can't die, so you don't have to worry about losing your surfacing point (assuming you can keep the real Colette alive, natch). You can even hire Johan at cost for an extra target. I don't know if such a crew would work well, but I think it would be a really interesting departure from the standard Colette setup, and offers mobility of a different stripe.

Ironically, for being M&SU Assets, I don't see the Miners working very well in a Kaeris crew. None of the other Assets are Members, not even Kaeris, and the Miners can't resurface next to Assets if they aren't Members.

I think they have some potential, they are able to move and do stuff (or simply use an activation before burying to a new location for objective or to gang up and kill someone.

Offensively I think they really have to be used in pairs or even triplets for redundency. When they are unburied you really need to win initiative to be able to get that first strike in which makes them hard to go with the SS miner as he also really wants the first activation... However with companion you should be able to get in 2+ paired, wound up strikes in (depending on numbers) hopefully triggering brutal. all before burying again if need be!

I think pairing them with Johan or Joss will be quite a great way to use them. They will be nearly an auto include when playing the "Supply Wagon" as if memory serves me they automatically do 1 damage per attack to the wagon bypassing its hardness.

The best part with using them in conjunction with Johan is that he's got MSU buddies so that he can use his ability to buff his combat. I hadn't really given much thought to Acolette though they were already slated for service in my Collette crew just to go along with Johan.