Ramos/Kaeris: Gunsmith vs Iggy vs Gamin

Poltron

Hi all,

With Iggy's model coming in may, and looking at his SS Cost, what is your opinion taking him vs a gunsmith in a Ramos/Kaeris crew?

I know gunsmith got a lot more versability against some faction, but got no synergy (apart from been a MSU Asset for Kaeris to steal wounds from). Iggy can bring more burning token, got ranged expert and his damage get bigger the more burning counter a model has.

Also Iggy vs Fire gamin, do you think he's worth the 2 SS more in most case if were aiming for more burning counters on the table?

Discuss! :)

It really depends on what you are trying to get out of Kaeris. As it is I don't feel Kaeris actually needs anything else in the list giving out burning tokens for her to be effective. She is deadly enough just on her own, and more so if you follow Ukrocky's example of taking the student of conflict with her.

If you don't bring the student make 2 attacks with her Ignite, which if you hit, can realistically affect 4 or possibly more models with burning counters, leaving you your casting expert action to Accelerate or Immolate as you choose. Kaeris is a steal at 8 SS and a good bargain at 12 with the student.

1) Iggy can't be hired in a Ramos Crew, only Kearis lead crew.

Now That being said, it depends on how much you want kaeris to dish out damage. Kaeris is amazing vs swarms. Her benefit is to dish out lots of damage a little at a time. if someone else can add burning tokens first she get a huge boost. I think Iggy is an essential in Her crew. Firegamin, are disposable fire starters. You have to expect them to die, you just need to use them efficiently. They have a Charge of 8 inches which is what tells you they are meant to be thrown into the enemy.

If going for a Ramos non-manifesting crew, I think Kaeris and 2 gunsmiths are good. Kaeris can prep the gunsmiths by dealing 1 wds to each, then should focus on objective grabbing. Usual turn should be move twice and drop fire pillars for added cover and blocking line of sight. Late game her gun gets good because the fire tokens on wounded guys give you opponent a hard choice of a wds or slow.

Yeah she is a steal for 8SS, beautiful model too to boot! I didn't want to use her yet with Student, guess I'll have to dig in that option sooner :) It does open more options with other constructs instead of bringing fire gamin though.

@CannonFodder: The Crew Creator let me choose him with Ramos/Kaeris combo though, guess it must be a glitch. I'll reread his entry in book 3. In that case I guess gunsmith it is :) And youre right about her anti-swarm capability, even better if you got a good hand of Tomes.

Thanks for your shares!

Cannonfodder is incorrect. All that is required for Iggy's Affinity for Kaeris to kick in is for Kaeris to actually be in the crew. She does not have to lead it, she just has to be in it and Iggy is all your if you want him. One thing I've noticed that may be an error with the creator however is that no where in Iggy's description does it give a discount for hiring out of faction, and Iggy's book cost is 6, so an arcanist crew hiring Iggy should have him cost 7 SS correct?

Cannonfodder is incorrect. All that is required for Iggy's Affinity for Kaeris to kick in is for Kaeris to actually be in the crew. She does not have to lead it, she just has to be in it and Iggy is all your if you want him. One thing I've noticed that may be an error with the creator however is that no where in Iggy's description does it give a discount for hiring out of faction, and Iggy's book cost is 6, so an arcanist crew hiring Iggy should have him cost 7 SS correct?

Really... Glad I'm wrong then.

As for Student of conflict, I Really wish Kaeris could take it when leading the crew. She really needs some sort of totem option in her own list.

Thanks for the last piece of info!

And to sell me on the student, do you move him where you predict he'll be useful first turn or two, then use his (All) action to make her fast? Seems like he'll be left behind fast, though he can still use his ability on someone other than Kaeris. Or does her threat range starts from the deployment zone + 15"?

What Ukrocky has said he does is to set Kaeris up behind a piece of terrain, preferably big, that will block LoS and access to Kaeris and the Student.

The Student gives Kaeris Fast.

Kaeris Flies over the terrain to the other side of it into LoS and range of her targets.

She uses Ignite to hit as many targets as she can with her one action and autotrigger, to place burning tokens.

She uses casting expert to use accelerant or immolate as she choses to control or kill her targets.

She uses her fast action to fly back behind the terrain.

Perfectly deadly, and as safely protected as a model can be.

What Ukrocky has said he does is to set Kaeris up behind a piece of terrain, preferably big, that will block LoS and access to Kaeris and the Student.

The Student gives Kaeris Fast.

Kaeris Flies over the terrain to the other side of it into LoS and range of her targets.

She uses Ignite to hit as many targets as she can with her one action and autotrigger, to place burning tokens.

She uses casting expert to use accelerant or immolate as she choses to control or kill her targets.

She uses her fast action to fly back behind the terrain.

Perfectly deadly, and as safely protected as a model can be.

Thats hot

I've been theory-fauxing this for a while:

Forget the gunsmith for now, it fulfills a completely different role, so decide which one you want later.

Iggy is good, but only gives burning tokens on his 2" matches attack. If you purely want them for giving out burning tokens, I think a fire gamin is better point for point, and at 3 stones less to boot. Both are quite fragile, but the gamin has armour, whereas iggy has 6 wounds and will drop very easily if your opponent wants him to.

If you're confident you can hand around enough burning tokens, or not relying on Kaeris's accelerant, then iggy becomes more valuable again. His speed ranged expert, and flurry mean he can put out a phenominal amount of attacks in a turn.

Just my thoughts really.

After playing Iggy a fair amount I find for 7ss he is wicked fast with his additional free movements from his Wp trigger but only Df 6 and 6 Wounds! at 7ss he is a prime target fro kill protegee also... Yea he can Wp movement into combat, take a free shot on the way in, then pop his aura twice, maybe even move out if your lucky!

He has potential to go great things on a good turn but in my last few games proved a liability (Kill protogee ad being silly fragile)

I find Large Arachnids and SS miners are best for dishing out Burning Tokens... Gamin are far too fragile for 4ss and 4wds

...Large Arachnids have 7wds and Df5 and melee expert coupled with arachnid (so for 1ss you gain a decent amount of survivability... But it does come down to the truth that they are better when they die!

...SS miner especially as he can pop-up in a group of enemies (or walk twice since he is Wk5 Scout), do 2/4 attacks and then Kaeris can pop him for burning counters.

One thing I've noticed that may be an error with the creator however is that no where in Iggy's description does it give a discount for hiring out of faction, and Iggy's book cost is 6, so an arcanist crew hiring Iggy should have him cost 7 SS correct?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that error, he should cost 7SS for the out of faction cost (it's correct when Karis is leading the crew but messes up as soon as she's not the leader)

Oh for 7SS it becomes another debate :)

So from what I can see from many opinions: He's almost a cannonglass, but could be a really good one if the stars all align on a moonlight night and if i can protect him well.

And also that Kaeris can still perform pretty well without any other unit that brings counters to the table, so more cool constructs for me! (And of course a Student! :P )

Thanks again for all your inputs!

• 1 month later...

I think its kind of hard to generalize, it really depends on the objects and the opponent.

I find gunsmiths are good vs an enemy with few tough targets (lots of wounds, armor, high defense, whatever)

Gaming are great vs swarms. They can run in and attack and be detonated by kaeris, or the can skirt around the enemy spitting fire

Iggy Ive found is kind of a jack of all trades in a kaeris force. He can put some hurt on a single tough target (gets hosed by armor, but still) or throw a bit of damage everywhere agaisnt swarms, and he is deceptively fast.