Brutal Effigy

Hugor

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Brutal Effigy, since I really like all the effigy models.

Just started guild (finishing up my 6th or so week of playing), and have often wished I had a healing flip, so I am really looking forward to having that ability.

On the other hand, I really like having the Student of Conflict around (Fast has been really nice to have access to), and also like taking Lucius with some Elite Division in certain situations.

So, I guess the question is, is he worth it?

Personally I'll probably be using it a lot, at least with Sonia and Lady J. Never used a totem with Sonia so I don't see why I shouldn't replace one of my Marshals for the Brutal. Don't really like it with Perdita, having an Obey without Mask requirement is pretty awesome.

With Lady J I guess it's more of a question of playstyle. I like having a lot of Witchlings and Marshals around, so Lucius tends to not do much after turn one. And it sends Justice so far away from the rest of the crew just to kill one enemy (assuming your opponent was smart enough to spread out when they saw Lady J + Lucius). Student of Conflict is nice but it feels like it slows me down. Scales of Justice tends to either be shot or to far away to do anything other than balance. So the Brutal probably fits my playstyle better.

So yes, it's worth it IMO.

Don't forget for some of those lists it also brings a magic weapon and decent combat ability with it. Our local resser has stepped up his use of night terrors which have been annoying to try and drop in any reasonable speed due to Hard to Kill and Spirit.

I imagine if the Brutal Effigy is taking with Perdita it is more for the ability to heal other models in the crew and her list is less built around having access to several obey.

Also I could see the Brutal Effigy being kind of amusing with the Guardian. With two possible healing flips on it and protect means you could extend its life quite a bit if they can't take it down in one turn.

There is no doubt that in a vacuum Brutal Effigy is one of the best models point for point in the game. Unfortunately there are many factors to consider besides value per point in a game of Malifaux. Let us explore Brutal Effigy while accounting for as many constants as possible.

1. Special Forces (Doll)
  2. No totems

So what do these two important restrictions mean for a Guild crew? First we can look at Special Forces (Doll). If you hire Brutal Effigy you may not hire the following models that you would otherwise be able to due to the single Special forces group rule: Lucius, Lawyer, Guild Guard Captain, Ryle, Von Schill, and all Freikorps. Add in the no totem rule and the following models are also excluded: Scales of Justice, Enslaved Nephilim, Drill Sgt., Governor's Proxy, Purifying Flame, Mobile Toolkit, Mechanical Attendant, Student of Conflict and Malifaux Child (no comments about my inclusion of Malifaux Child in this list!). That is a total of 18 models that you are unable to hire simply by hiring Brutal Effigy.

Variables:

1. Opponent's Faction
  2. Strategies
  3. Terrain

The above are three game factors that you have little or no control over. So how does each of these variables impact the viability of a model that reduces your overall model pool by 18? Let's start with your opponent's faction. Every faction but Ressurectionists have such a dearth of models with the spirit characteristic that Brutal Effigy's magical weapon is a negligible factor when determining which models will be of use during the Hire Crews phase. Against Ressurectionists, however, there is a significant chance that there will be at least one model in your opponent's crew is a Spirit, making a 4 stone, melee expert, magic weapon wielding model very appealing. Another thing to consider is whether Brutal's healing flip spell is more effective against certain factions. Guild and Outcasts in particular often kill a model from full wounds in a single activation. Arcanists, Neverborn and Ressurectionists, on the other hand, while sometimes exhibiting a single-model assassination play style, are slightly more likely to whittle your models down over time, making Brutal's healing ability marginally better against these factions than Guild and Outcasts.

To be continued...(gotta go to the gym)

Proxied him in a game yesterday for the first time and found him fairly useful. I did miss the fast action from the student on a couple rounds, but the healing flip was always a nice bonus (should have held off his activation a few times to get a better idea of who needed the healing flip) and his CB abilities were a pleasant surprise. I particularly liked the :masks trigger that gives an opponent slow.

Proxied him in a game yesterday for the first time and found him fairly useful. I did miss the fast action from the student on a couple rounds, but the healing flip was always a nice bonus (should have held off his activation a few times to get a better idea of who needed the healing flip) and his CB abilities were a pleasant surprise. I particularly liked the :masks trigger that gives an opponent slow.

cool! did you camp the effigy further back or did you keep close to your Master?

Map was extremely heavy on terrain. Opponent was playing Kaeris with gun-smiths and fire gamin.

I ended up sitting in the middle behind some terrain, trying to take shots out at them, while they shot at me (since we both took breakthrough, he had turf war, and I had destroy the evidence).

The brutal effigy kind of sat in the middle of my crew, shooting out as he could and making healing flips.

Finally decided to attack with Lady J (when he got something close enough to charge) but sadly with all my :+fate on damage, flipped the black joker, and the game went down from their. (Lady Justice hates charging and whiffing on an insane hit, especially if she then has to spend insane amounts of soul stones to stay alive).

Did kill almost all his models, or put them all within 1 of death. But, it really turned into a stalemate of death in the center of the board.

Totally true, she did use here melee expert to almost kill the gunsmith after her fatal whif, but she was in a circle of gamin and Kaeris, and another gunsmith, and once Kaeris can get a burning token on you, Bad Things Really Happen, and I just smiled and thought about my painting table where Sonnia and Perdita are sitting, waiting to be let out.

LOL

Let us know how Sonnia and Perdita fare against Kaeris and her crew.

My buddy just bought the Kaeris crew box... any tips for a fellow Guild player? I have all the starter boxes for the Guild and I'm finishing my Austringers, Desperate Mercs and Guild Hounds (painting). Meanwhile, my Executioner is sharpening his blades.

I think I might need the Brutal Effigy sooner than I thought....

Ya, I also have all the boxes and am a new player (this was maybe game 10 or so).

I found the big thing was that my models needed to stay a good distance apart (since their was a lot of blast damage going around). The Ortegas might have been a better choice (but I only had Lady J with me) since they have the ability to shake off effects. Might have changed out the Judge for an Guardian to assist Justice when I finally decided to try to slaughter his cluster of models. Also took two guild hounds, which quickly were shot up when they went for the evidence, so might have tried another Watcher instead of the two hounds (which would have saved me some soul stones) since they are speedy models and are significant. Plus, since I was sitting behind a wall most of the time, their Always Watching could have helped some.

Other than that, not sure, still replaying the game in my head to see what I could have done better.

Ya, I also have all the boxes and am a new player (this was maybe game 10 or so).

I found the big thing was that my models needed to stay a good distance apart (since their was a lot of blast damage going around). The Ortegas might have been a better choice (but I only had Lady J with me) since they have the ability to shake off effects. Might have changed out the Judge for an Guardian to assist Justice when I finally decided to try to slaughter his cluster of models. Also took two guild hounds, which quickly were shot up when they went for the evidence, so might have tried another Watcher instead of the two hounds (which would have saved me some soul stones) since they are speedy models and are significant. Plus, since I was sitting behind a wall most of the time, their Always Watching could have helped some.

Other than that, not sure, still replaying the game in my head to see what I could have done better.

Thanks.. I'm a new player too... probably just have 5 games under my belt... hehehe...

So I guess against the Kaeris crew we'll need evasive minions...

We don't really need evasive minions vs Kaeris, the ones we have are already quite good vs her. Death Marshals makes spreading burning tokens annoying because Hard to Wound makes it harder to get blasts and can shoot her in the face before she runs away if she kills them. Witchlings can use Disrupt Magic, Dispel and have Magic Restistance. The Ortegas can Shrug Off burning tokens. Austringers makes her hit and runs hard because they ignore her hiding places. And when it comes to our masters, Perdita can Spellbreaker the burning tokens and annoy her with Quick Draw. Have fun playing a mage vs Sonia. And Justice's blindfighter makes finding good hiding spots slightly harder.

Finally decided to attack with Lady J (when he got something close enough to charge) but sadly with all my :+fate on damage, flipped the black joker, and the game went down from their. (Lady Justice hates charging and whiffing on an insane hit, especially if she then has to spend insane amounts of soul stones to stay alive).

Welcome to the ranks of people who don't ever discard the black joker once you draw it.