Liquid Greenstuff?

dsmiles

Halp?

I have a mini (Princess Malya and Mr. Tomn) Soda Pop that requires a lot of small gaps to be filled. I bought the Liquid Greenstuff, as it seemed most appropriate for the job. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Do I apply it with my modelling tool?

Does it clean up with water?

Is there anything I need to be aware of before I start using it?

I've used Liquid Greenstuff (LG). It is all right for filling gaps, and occasionally for strengthening joins, although do not expect it to hold up a major load-bearing area (it did absolutely nothing for my Mature Nephilim's extended arm). Here are a few tips I have found useful:

1) LG is very sticky, though not quite as sticky as actual green stuff. Its consistency is somewhere between thick paint and modeling putty. You can't brush it on very well, but you can dab it on, and it will stay put wherever it lands. I recommend using an old mixing brush or a toothpick for the initial application; using a regular brush is a recipe for a ruined brush. ;)

2) For cleanup, I recommend a quick scrape or a wipe with a toothpick or other modeling tool. I haven't tried water for cleanup, although if you get to it before it dries, you should be all right.

3) I have seen pics of people sculpting LG. I haven't tried it myself, since I am not much of a sculptor at all, but it can apparently be done; certainly, LG is porous enough to be carved and filed. Even after it is mostly dry, you can easily cut and scrape it away from details it may have blobbed over.

In all honesty, unless the model in question is small, you might be better served by regular green stuff or my personal favorite, plumbers' epoxy putty, which dries fast and is barely sticky at all. LG is an interesting product (I picked it up on a whim), but, like many of GW's new supplementary line, it isn't really necessary.

I've been playing with it and for me, it works best when I dilute it with a drop of water. I use an old drybrush to take a bit of liquid greenstuff, put on my palette, dilute it a little bit with water (half the water I would use to dilute the same amount of paint), and then apply it to the cracks I want to fill. Before it dries, I use the wet brush to remove it from places I don't want it to be. After drying I usually just use a file to smooth any part that is still rough.

Before drying, you can easily use water to clean up the brush, palette, etc. No problems there.