This is going to be legend.... wait for it......

RebeccaJo

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, getting around to posting these has taken way to long... sorry about that. With finals, family visits, lease signing, job hunting, Diablo 3, and wedding talk... I've been really busy these past couple weeks.

So without any other excuse, here is my Alt Viks. I will post my aViks soon.. they've been done just as long as my alts have but I still need to pin and glue gun vik onto the base. lol. These were a lot of fun to paint. most of the colors are mixed with god knows how many colors. I really hope you like them. I think they are my best work yet. :D

Here's Gun Vik: She was sooooo much fun. I was looking at the Avatar box wondering what color to paint her coat and I saw the purple on the concept art. So, I just mixed until I got this shade. :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5730[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5731[/ATTACH]

Here's Sword Vik: She was tricky...I had to paint and attach the swords on her back separate. But overall, I think she looks good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5732[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5734[/ATTACH]

And here they are together. :]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5729[/ATTACH]

As always C&C is welcome and encouraged. :D

Thanks!

I love your Viks! When I get the box, I'll refer to this scheme for painting inspiration.

Note: I paint my Malifaux stuff pretty much un-assembled.. I find it easier for some reason especially the hard to reach nooks and crannies..

I love your Viks! When I get the box, I'll refer to this scheme for painting inspiration.

Note: I paint my Malifaux stuff pretty much un-assembled.. I find it easier for some reason especially the hard to reach nooks and crannies..

Thanks!!! :D When you get them, definitely paint them un-assembled. Their backs are virtually impossible to get to with their swords attached. You should let me know when you have yours finished; I'd love to see them!

• 8 months later...

HELLO EVERYBODY!!!!!

So, after a longer than desired hiatus, Jeremy and I are back! :D We just ordered 2 new crews:

Misaki's box

Yan Lo's box

Oiran

10T Archers

Yamizako

Izamu

We are super excited to get started again. Also, we have connected with a couple Malifaux players and a venue to play every couple of weeks when I have the weekend off :D So overall, it's been awesome. To kick off us getting back into Malifaux, we realized that we have way to many minis for the space that we are storying them in. To combat this, Jeremy bought me my own metal case. So 2 metal cases and a 3 layer battle foam case and we're still strapped on space. :P Oh well. Now I have my own case to carry my own crews so we don't have to drag the big bag out :D Yesterday to commemorate us having our own cases, we grabbed some mod podge and went to town. HAHA. Here are the photos of what our cases look like now :D

MINE:

post-9639-13911927969258_thumb.jpg

(The phrase on the white paper is my signature from the forums which translates to "Do not go where I can not follow... bad things happen")

HIS:

post-9639-13911927969445_thumb.jpg

Models will be up within the next couple weeks :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So, I'm back. :D and i feel really good about this one. I tried a whole slew of new techniques here, and i would love some feedback.

First up from my new crew is...

Yan Lololololo!

post-9601-13911928066018_thumb.jpg

post-9601-13911928066482_thumb.jpg

post-9601-13911928066279_thumb.jpg

post-9601-13911928066705_thumb.jpg

Please let me know what you think of him. The OSL color is stolen from Mr. Mako, but it was just such a great color choice that i couldn't help myself. ;)

Thank you in advance!!!!

Looking good there! Yan's clothing is fantastic, the colours work nicely and the freehand patterns are just awesome.

The only thing I'd suggest is maybe pushing the shading a bit more in places, his face doesn't seem to have quite the same shading as his hands, and that's a place you want to really get the contrast in to draw focus to it. But that's really a minor thing, and doesn't take away from how awesome he is!

(Also, it's awesome to see someone taking some inspiration or ideas from something I did!)

Thanks Mako! :D both for the comments, and the advice. I do think i'm going to do some touchups on his face. it's not so bad in person, but as you mentioned, it's not even between his face and hands. It's funny what seeing the picture will show you about your piece. lol

Thanks again sir! I admire all your work, so it's awesome to hear your opinions on mine. :D

hey everyone as promised here are the new additions to the crew!!

Izamu is first up. He was a pain to build, but was a joy to paint. I would recommend him to anyone who enjoys painting a great sculpt.

I didn't notice the superglue leaked under his foot until the flash caught it. :/ looks like i'm going to have a little touch up to do already.

post-9601-13911928138055_thumb.jpg

post-9601-13911928138265_thumb.jpg

Soul Porter is next up. His source lighting took a long long time. i'm still not too happy with it, but Rebecca assures me it looks good. it's a tad messy still, so i might just do some touch ups after i get the Ashigaru and the archers finished and off my table.

post-9601-13911928138538_thumb.jpg

Last up we have Yan Lolololo

I went back and applied another bit of shading to his face. I used a bit of purple and a brown wash, and i darkened the line between his face and his hair. Does it look better?

post-9601-13911928138777_thumb.jpg

As always, let me know what you think!!

Rebecca will have something finished this week. Hopefully she'll get Misaki or Yamaziko posted before the weekend. :D:D:D

Wow, thank you everyone for the great comments. :D

Izamu is actually based on the red armor worn by Tom Cruise in the end of "the last samurai" Great movie in my opinion... and i'm not a fan of Mr. Cruise.

The soul Porter is a tad drowned out by the flash. We took two pictures of him. one with the flash, and one without. In the one with (shown) you can see him pretty well, but the OSL looks wrong, washed out and splotchy, but in the one without the light, the shadow from his hat made him almost invisible. So i opted for this one.

And Edonil, You should look at the wyrd chronicles #4 and check out Mako's step by step on Yan Lo. I actually followed his steps for the OSL. it was just too awesome to not use. :D

thanks again everyone!!!!!!!

Okay, quick update for anyone still following this. ;)

The Ashigaru might just be finished today. Painting all three at once might have been a little boring while working on them, but they look really good together. Nice and uniform which is what i wanted for them.

Sadly, i still cannot seem to come up with a color idea i like for Chiaki. So as of this moment she is sitting on my table all primed and ready to go, but i've only painted her skin.

Other than being stuck finding an idea for her, this crew has been a lot of fun to paint. I have enjoyed each model very much. Once i have the whole gang finished i'll throw a group shot on here. =]

Rebecca is supposed to be painting right now. hopefully you guys will get an update from her soon. :D

Similar thoughts on my end, though I was thinking more Hida (the kami) or his son, who's name escapes me atm (the First Crab Thunder, that became one of the Lost).

Might be a lame question here, but what is L5R and who are these people you're talking about? i'd like to see for myself who my Izamu looks like. lol :D

Alright everyone. I've finally gotten a couple models to 'tabletop' quality. Some are a little messy; I got quite frustrated while painting some of these. The detail was just TOO SMALL. lol. so here we go. This crew was also my first attempt at nonmetal metallics :D Let me know what you think.

Misaki is still a WIP. I have a lot left to do with her. :/ Overall, I feel pretty okay with her so far. Jeremy and I have been experimenting with new ways to paint yellow, from drybrushing the yellow to some tricky layering. haha. She is still messy and not completely up to par with my other work.

post-9639-1391192815327_thumb.jpg

post-9639-13911928153579_thumb.jpg

Here is Shang. I couldn't get a good picture of him with the lighting. In the brighter one, he's too yellow and in the darker one, he's too cheeto color. I really have to thank Jeremy for this one. I am horrible at source lighting/fire affects. After some hugs/kisses/begging, I talked him into painting Shang. :D I think he did a great job. I just wish the pictures did it justice. Hopefully some of you might get to see it in person. :D

post-9639-13911928153865_thumb.jpg

post-9639-13911928154102_thumb.jpg

post-9639-13911928154564_thumb.jpg

post-9639-13911928154323_thumb.jpg

More to come :D here in a minute or so :D

Alright. Here is the last of what I have finished.

Yamaziko. She was fun to paint. I have some spots left on here where I need to clean up my sloppy-ness. lol. Particularly a spot of red on her staff. :D Overall though, I am quite happy with her. I did a lot of work on her cloak trying to give it the worn, wool look. Took some selective dry brushing and washing. It was also my first time with a new GW wash :D I can't remember the name right now, but I'll put it up later when I'm by the painting table.

post-9639-13911928154802_thumb.jpg

post-9639-13911928155062_thumb.jpg

Next up is Torkage #1. The other two have the same color scheme as this one. I just wanted to finish one for a playable crew today. The yellow came out quite interesting on them. I ended up using the same technique for Misaki. Since switching to white primer, I can't complain. Yellow used to be my least favorite color to paint. Now, it might be showing up some more.

post-9639-13911928155292_thumb.jpg

post-9639-13911928155511_thumb.jpg

Lastly for my crew today is Orian #1. :D This was also painted by Jeremy. It is his favorite model of the 3. When he ordered them, he mentioned he would want to paint it, so I let him :D:D I love the colors he chose.

post-9639-13911928155768_thumb.jpg

post-9639-13911928155967_thumb.jpg

As usual, let me know what you think :D My goal for my crew is for them to be bright and vibrant. I haven't really painted bright bright colors, so I'm very happy for the chance :D

Happy Sunday!!!!!

Edited by RebeccaJo