This is going to be legend.... wait for it......

RebeccaJo

seriously though, how were the sheets / blankets done on the base of Dreamer? I'm doing an entry for IP and I might need some blankets for that. Did Danyreu (right?) use a piece of cloth or did he sculpt it (greenstuff..)? how? I have some ideas on how to do it, but any info would be greatly appreciated :)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously though, how were the sheets / blankets done on the base of Dreamer? I'm doing an entry for IP and I might need some blankets for that. Did Danyreu (right?) use a piece of cloth or did he sculpt it (greenstuff..)? how? I have some ideas on how to do it, but any info would be greatly appreciated :)

That is a Jewomie question. All of the Dreamer's crew has similar bases.. I'm sure he could answer the how his brother did it. I didn't see them make these bases sadly.

Did Danyreu (right?) use a piece of cloth

You were right on the money there. =] Daniel built the bed frame out of wood blocks and plasti-card, then basically papermache'ed tiny bits of heavy knit fabric over it. he used the coarser (is that a word?) fabric to give it that quilted look. Then he primed it black and dry brushed it several times. going from a dark grey all the way up to pure white to capture as much shading as he could, and i think there was a blue or purple wash in there somewhere to give it a hint of color... It's actually quite simple for how effective it looks. :D

also.. that "tenticle" is Lelu's tail. ;)

Edited by Jewomie

Hey, no problem. I like to spread the help around...

plus, anything to keep a brother warm! :D

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Just a tip i forgot to mention... we found when working on other bases in the crew... that you need to make sure you dip the entire piece of fabric into the glue. even the parts that wont attach to anything. this will stop the ends from fraying and will also allow you to position it where you want it to go. Though this has to wait until it starts to dry, you will end up with a pretty sturdy bit of cloth when you're done. we've used this on bases, and tapestry on a table we built, and it worked out quite well every time after we started dipping the whole piece in the glue. just use elmer's white glue... add a touch of water to thin it out... maybe a glue to water ratio of 70:30... just enough to let you soak the cloth.

Hey, no problem. I like to spread the help around...

plus, anything to keep a brother warm! :D

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Just a tip i forgot to mention... we found when working on other bases in the crew... that you need to make sure you dip the entire piece of fabric into the glue. even the parts that wont attach to anything. this will stop the ends from fraying and will also allow you to position it where you want it to go. Though this has to wait until it starts to dry, you will end up with a pretty sturdy bit of cloth when you're done. we've used this on bases, and tapestry on a table we built, and it worked out quite well every time after we started dipping the whole piece in the glue. just use elmer's white glue... add a touch of water to thin it out... maybe a glue to water ratio of 70:30... just enough to let you soak the cloth.

cool thanks! I was planning on doing something like that...

oh, and the brother will also have "something else" to keep him warm :)

you guys are awesome! I can't wait to see the Sin City Lady J... oh my...

I'll get the photos for these done Friday and that night. I personally love them, but that's just me. I do understand the want to repaint everything after you paint your next models... I already want to repaint Taelor and Von Schill's box.

Here is the first batch of my Sin City Lady Justice crew.

These were really interesting to paint. They were originally going to be simply black and white, but i was watching Sin City while i painted the first couple, and got the idea to do a single piece of each one in a color. I tried to keep it (when i could) to a piece that is the token characteristic of the model. but that gets harder with non-unique characters, so i just picked random bits for them.

Lady Justice: Obviously went with her hair. decided to break from the "norm" and went pink... then hated the pink and washed it in red a few times.

post-9601-1391192265769_thumb.jpg

Lucius: He is colored after the yellow bastard in the movie. Yes, i am implying that Lucius smells bad... and may even be a pedophile... who knows...

post-9601-13911922658108_thumb.jpg

post-9601-13911922658488_thumb.jpg

Guild Guard 1: yep... blue jacket

post-9601-13911922658869_thumb.jpg

Guild Guard 2: yep... red pants

post-9601-13911922659279_thumb.jpg

Here is batch 2

Death Marshall 1: His coffin isn't quite done... but i am lazy and have a lot more stuff to paint. ;)

post-9601-13911922659923_thumb.jpg

post-9601-13911922660405_thumb.jpg

Death Marshall 2: Rebecca's Favorite... i am really proud of the source lighting here. :D

post-9601-13911922660884_thumb.jpg

Scales of Justice

post-9601-1391192266147_thumb.jpg

Guardian: another one i am really happy with the source lighting on. I think i'm getting the hang of this.

post-9601-13911922661858_thumb.jpg

post-9601-1391192266219_thumb.jpg

Please, let me know what you think. :D:D:D

Ummm....wow. I love the idea. I do think the red pants are a bit loud for such a minor model. It's not so bad on LAdy J as she is the boss. But that's opinion. The paintjob itself is superb. And I think the monochrome nature of the models really helps the OSL effect pop. I really don't think I'm brave enough to try something like this yet.

I love what you've done with the Sin City crew... Any chance you can let us know how you do the black and white... I've tried and never been able to pull it off!

Go to Mako's painting thread, he has an amazing tutorial on doing monochrome painting.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Btw, great job on the crew Jewomie.

Here is batch 2

Death Marshall 1: His coffin isn't quite done... but i am lazy and have a lot more stuff to paint. ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4821[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4822[/ATTACH]

Death Marshall 2: Rebecca's Favorite... i am really proud of the source lighting here. :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4823[/ATTACH]

Scales of Justice

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4825[/ATTACH]

Guardian: another one i am really happy with the source lighting on. I think i'm getting the hang of this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4826[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4827[/ATTACH]

Please, let me know what you think. :D:D:D

awesome paint job! I love the monochrome and light source painting... how did you do the light source effect?

Thank you everyone for the kind words. This crew took me about a month to finish... and now i have to firgure out all over again how i did it because i've got an exicutioner and an exorsist on the way. ;) oh well, at least it was fun. and really educational. I hadn't done anything monochrome before, however, i had a good deal of experience with source lighting when i did my marcus crew in almost solid OSL by putting flames everywhere.

The easiest way i found to get the grey scale right, was to take photos (in this case wyrd's studio models) and hold up a piece or translucent red plastic. this pretty much destroys the colors leaving only the constrast of the piece. on most of the models i started with simply a black primer, and would choose a grey as a base for whatever place i was starting. Darker for the pants, nearly white for the skin.. etc. then i would wash in black and highlight like normal, but only using greys. I chose to use pretty harsh highlighting because there is very little grey in Sin City... in some scenes it's either white or black, and i wanted to keep the harshness. As for the colored portions, all i did was wash the color over the area i was coloring. All the highlights and shading were added in the black and white stage, so a thin blue washed over the area had subtle contrast changes, but didn't come off as using multiple colors, and was incredibly easy to do.

all in all, probably the crew i feel was the most fun to do. I am thinking about re-doing the marcus crew with everything i learned here.

awesome paint job! I love the monochrome and light source painting... how did you do the light source effect?

The light source effect is probably my favorite (and most over used) effect. All i do is hold up a lighter in the direction of the light, and when i get a feel for where the shadows will be, i dry brush the darkest shade of whatever light i'm doing... in the guardian's case it was "necron green" i believe. Then in a bit of a smaller area, taking care to hit the higher details, i went to a lighter color. Vajello makes an even lighter green that i used with a 50/50 mixture of necron green. then straight vajello green in a smaller area. then i went over an even smaller area with a 50/50 mix of white and vejello's green. then i did a gw green wash over everything that was "reflecting" the light to help tie it all together. i do the same between orange and yellow/white with fire, and the same with the blue glowing eyes of nicodem's zambies. =]