Help with a 30ss League List

Hugor

I am new to Malifaux (have only played three games with Lucius) and am starting a league tonight. I was planning on playing with Lucius, but just happened to get a late b-day present from my brother and was pleased to see that it contained the Lady J box set. So, I am now faced with a question of which master to bring, since part of the league rules indicate that one has to use the same master for all games. I have more knowledge of how Lucius works, but I feel that Lady J will be more flexible and allow for more alterations throughout the league.

I have the following models to choose from, and am open to picking up a few more.

Masters

• Lady Justice
  • Lucius
  • C. Hoffman

Totem

• Drill Sergeant

Pawns

• Guild Guard (x3)
  • Death Marshall (x3)
  • Guild Hounds (x4)
  • Austringer (x2)
  • Watcher
  • Ryle
  • Lawyer
  • Executioner
  • Hunter
  • Guardian
  • Judge
  • Guild Guard Captain

Any thoughts...I understand that there will need to be changes based on the strategy / scheme.

Like I said, leaning towards Lady J, but open to suggestions as well.

Thanks.

Well, Lady J would give you the ability to Hire Lucius as a henchman... though at the cost of 10ss, so i guess that's kind of your call...

Personally, i Love Lady J. She isn't hard to learn, but she can be tough to really master, as placement is rather important with her. I have found that i am less that impressed with Lucius as a leader, and i prefer to hire him with Justice when i am running lots of guild guards instead of Death Marshalls.

and you're right, if you take Lady J, you'll be able to build with more flexability to prepare yourself for those strats and schemes. :D

But to each their own. I am sure you know Lucius better than i do as he is rarely my first choice. =]

Good luck buddy

Well, Lady J would give you the ability to Hire Lucius as a henchman... though at the cost of 10ss, so i guess that's kind of your call...

That was my thinking. First thought was just to bring Lucius with Lady J, but at 1/3 of my soul stone pool, his costs seems like a lot to add his movement tricks and spells. On the other hand, I really want to try throwing an executioner into the middle of the table on my first turn, but at the same time feel like 17ss for three models is a lot. I have heard that this works well with Lady J as well, but not sure I want to put her into that much danger my first few times playing her, since I won't be familiar with everything she can accomplish.

If I take Lucius, that also leads to wanting to take guild guards, guild hounds (although they will companion Lady J now I guess) and the drill sergeant, since they have higher synergy with lucius, but then it becomes...well why not just take him as master then.

And of course their is the Austringer, which I really have enjoyed thus far...

May just take Lady J and try something totally different every week to see what happens, but wanted to see what everyone had to say.

One of the ways i like to play her, is hire a guild guard crew, lead by Lucius, and make Lady J the master. 2 guiild guards an austringer and Lucius is still only 23 points. that leaves you with 7 left for hiring. I usually run her with 6 ss and have good enough luck so you would have 4 ss left to hire a hound or another guild guard or a totem... not a half bad crew, but a bit on the slow side as most guild is. =] Her sword style spell can give her a whopping 11 cb if you use it just right, but i typically just run with a 9 cb and save most of my stones for her healing or prevention flips.

While she is no longer my 1st pick for masters, she's the one i've played the longest, and the one i keep coming back to.

One of the ways i like to play her, is hire a guild guard crew, lead by Lucius, and make Lady J the master. 2 guiild guards an austringer and Lucius is still only 23 points. that leaves you with 7 left for hiring.

I took this with an Executioner. Strategy was Distraction. Was playing against Kirai. For my first game with Lady J and my first time seeing Kirai, I guess it was not terrible (3 - 0), but definitely have a lot of learning, especially in activation order and synergies between models.

Next game is against Dreamer and LCB, so going to read up on them and try to come up with a list that will work well against them. Any tips?