McMourning vs The Viktorias

Orboros

So this was the first game i played at our first Malifaux Tournament here in Vienna. Because of a time limit we had roughly an hour to finish the game.

The cards wanted us to play Shared Destroy the Evidence so i played my standard list for that Tournament. At 35SS i had:

McMourning 8SS cache

Grave Spirit

4 Night Terrors

Shikome

Dead Rider

I was facing a Viktorias list from Kyrien, who became first in the Tournament. I remember roughly what he had on the field:

Viktoria 4SS cache

Student of Conflict

2 Ronins

2 Desperate Mercs

Sue

Freikorps Librarian

As my schemes i had Grudge against the Student and Steal Relic, both announced.

He had Kill Protégée on my Rider and Breakthrough

We were playing on a newly set up Terraclips board we both werent familiar with but it had a lot of plattforms and houses on it. I will probably uptade the post with a picture of the board later.

Turn 1 i began moving up my Terrors to get the first midfield counter of the objektive with my shikome going for the second one. The Shikome had the conflict as her target and so i moved her up on higher ground so she couldnt be blocked that easy. The rest of our forces were moving in direction of the neutral counter, with him keeping the student, sue and the librarian in his deployement zone feeding him like 4 handcards every turn to make the viks extremely dangerous.

I knew i had to face the viks eventually so i bound the Pistol Vik with my 3inch meele range dead rider to block his advance. At that point the vik was only backed up by the ronin and his second vik would be also blocked on her way to the good doktor even if she would port in.

Turn 2 was the most exiting turn in the whole tournament for me. He sadly won initiative even with me burning a SS. I knew the dead rider could be mince now so i wanted the initiative desperately. His pistol vik activated and onehitted my dead rider with a flipped red joker in the damage ... my face must have been hilarious when this happened.

His second vik ported in, moving up to McMourning and because of an half inch misspositioning by my he could Whirlwind between the Grave spirit and the doktor. McMourning survived with 2 hp due to ss.

So now it was my turn. I had the red joker on my hand since turn one but i decided to keep him killing the Vik with without him. McMourning was nearly at full health again.

My terrors and shikome each destroyed a counter granting me 2 VP, so it was 2 vs 2 at that point.

My terrors moved in direction of the deployementzone counter with him throwing 2 mercs and 1 ronin in their path.

Turn 3 i got initiative. Walked up with McMourning and scalpel slinged at the last vik. I knew he would summon the second back because he had like 10 cards all the time and with only 2 ap left because of fast i wasn't sure if deliver a message and the laft ap to attack would get the job done. Now is were i let 4 potential VP go ..

I throw an attack at him with McMourning. He flipped the Black Joker on his def flip and i cheated the Red Joker in the damage flip, so the second vik was dead. With my last ap i moved in base contact with one ronin that was sitting at a counter.

Sadly he blocked my Terrors in a way that i could come in contact with the counter but had not enough ap to destroy it. Ah and he managed to kill one of them. My shikome moved in meele with sue and the librarian.

Turn 4 was doc mc killing his ronin advancing in direction of the neutral counter sitting on something like 16 BP to summon a RN. He amanaged to bin the Terrors and ate them one after another. At this point the game ended because of the time limit in a DRAW.

Turn 5/6 would probably be me dstroying th mid counter and sitting at an advantage of 3 to 2 trying to denie him his breakthrough with my RN and McMourning so it was still open i would say.

It was a really brutal game for me his list was really scary. With that many handcards and 4ss the Viks always kill you it seems. The Tournament ended with Kyrien as the well deserved Winner with the same win/loose count as me after 3 rounds but one total VP more than myself :)

Edited by Orboros

The rest of our forces were moving in direction of the neutral counter, with him keeping the student, sue and the librarian in his deployement zone feeding him like 4 handcards every turn to make the viks extremely dangerous.

Hi,

Thanks for the BR. Could someone explain to me the trick ? I can't see why the player was drawing 4 cards a turn. Sorry for the Noob question.

Thanks

Sue can inflict him self up to 3 wounds to draw the same amount of cards. The librarian then heals him so that he can do the same next turn. The librarian also happens to have an ability wich lets her draw one card and discard another. He usually keeps this shenanigan up for the first 3 rounds to feed the desperate mercs/ronins/viktorias a lot of great hand cards. Hope i could help you :)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I throw an attack at him with McMourning. He flipped the Black Joker on his def flip and i cheated the Red Joker in the damage flip, so the second vik was dead.

Sorry new player here so I have to ask - can you cheat a damage flip? I was under the impression that you couldn't and it could change a lot to be able to. Sounds like an intense battle though! Ressers forever!

Nice report. Always good to see rezzers doing well.

Just an FYI, unless something has changed that I do not know of, you do not need to announce Steal Relic to get full VP. You get 1 for stealing and an additional for still being alive at the end. Its a nice little surprise because your opponent might think that you are simply trying to hide a different scheme and only get 1 VP.

You know, it's odd... i would rarely take any crew with 4 or less stones... but my Fiance regularly takes her Viks with about 4. she likes to have 3 to 5 we'll say. Depending on how you use them they can really kill just about anything without the help of the stones. I think she mostly keeps them around for either defense flips or to summon another Vik from a ronin... assuming i manage to kill on in the first place. lol

9 times out of 10, if she takes more than 5 she will have some left over after the game... however, with my McM crew... even if i take all 8, i'll still find myself needing a couple more by turn 6. haha