Don't Hassle the Hoff! 35, 40 and 45 ss Lists for Review

Mashurface

Hey guys, I'm new here and I haven't played a game yet, but I've got a load of models and the rules manual, and was looking for some tactical thoughts and advice. My lists are the following:

35 ss

C. Hoffman 6ss total

Peacekeeper 9

Ryle, guild pawn 8

Guardian 7

Hunter 6

Watcher 3

40 ss

As above, minus the Watcher and 2 spare ss,

+Guardian 7

+Mechanical Attendant 3

45 ss

As above,

+Watcher 3

+2 spare ss

Schemes: Bodyguard, Raid!, Hold Out (Brawl only)

What do you think?

Thanks.

Mash.

Peacekeeper is especially awesome with the Hoff: pulls him around ands gets to ignore its downsides.

Mobile toolkit totem is a handy option for Hoffman, as it's always in base contact, therefore always available for being given slow to give Hoffman fast. That's an extra machine puppet on the peacekeeper.

Remember to activate the guardian early in the turn to benefit from its abilities.

You can use the hunter independently from Hoffman's main "castle", or stick close by to him and use both it and the peacekeeper to harpoon things and pull them into open circuit range. That said, it doesn't have the best reputation on these boards. No one seems to have got great results with it.

You might want to consider bringing a living model for Ryle to get free pushes off of, saving APs for shooting.

Hope some of this proves helpful!

@Ozz: Nope, it implies I have 6ss total on Hoffman, including. I guess I didn't make it clear enough that I bought something with the spare stones in the 40ss list, or that he has a 4ss cache. Total soulstone cache goes 6,4,6.

I didn't realise Brawls were 2 master affairs, ah well, probably best to ignore that til I've had a few starting games lol.

@mistercactus: Hell yes, I didn't see quite how awesome it was til I had both the cards in front of me :D.

Thanks, I did look into it but it's 4ss cost seemed a bit much to me.

Ah, I was going to have it activate a little later on the turn, as to my understanding (not that it explicitly mentions on the card) that most of its effects are auras. Am I incorrect in this assumption?

I was thinking of testing both keeping the Hunter in the castle and out of it, just for the harpooning shennanigans XD.

I have seen a couple of battle reports using that ability to good effect. Does Hoffman not count as living and a construct then?

Very helpful, thanks again dude :)

Edited by Mashurface

I would drop the hunter in your 35 point list and take atleast 2 watchers for objectives. That would be my basic list. Having a peacekeeper, ryle, and a hunter in a 35 point game is probably too much. The typical oppinion is that the hunter isn't worth his stones compared to just about everything else.

A bit surprised to see two guardians in your 40ss list.

Don't get me wrong, he is a pretty much a must have for Hoffman but having played against him a good few times recently he has not had significant damage output and I can't see that his abilities would stack with a second guardian on the table.

Not sure if you could manage to squeeze another peacekeeper in there considering the usefulness of Hoffman's totem choices but even some generic guild choices such as austringers might be useful in the list to soften up the enemy from distance as your castle moves down the board.

I wish he was living as well as a construct too, but I'm not sure how that would work. Constructs are by definition non-living (RM, pg 9).

Perfect machine lets him ignore certain abilities that specifically target constructs, but I can't find anything in his rules that lets him be living.

Not usually too much of a downer though. It sucks to be living in Malifaux! ;)

Welcome to the Hoffbrau, Mash.

Do you have the twisted fates book? If you are open to it, I'd highly suggest swapping out Ryle for the Pale Rider from that book in your lists (model to be released in May?). Likewise, Wardens (models no release date yet) may do you a little better than Hunters.

I'd consider this:

35 ss

C. Hoffman 6ss total

Peacekeeper 9

Pale Rider 9

Guardian 7

Warden 5

Watcher 3

40 ss

As above, minus the Watcher and 1 spare ss,

+Guardian 7

+Mobile Toolkit 4

45 ss

As above,

+Watcher 3

+2 spare ss

The core of: Hoffman, Peacekeeper, Guardian 1 gives you your main Hoffman Castle. The Pale Rider is in all ways superior to the Hunter in your list for having a "detachable" minion that can operate solo - it also provides a terrific ride for Hoffman once the Peacekeeper goes down. The Warden can operate as a second level of the Hoffball supporting it and providing an alternate ride for Hoffman in a pinch - again, superior to the Hunter due to it's mobile and +1 relentless abilities.

At 40 ss I kept your idea of "impenetrable castle". You simply must must must take the Bodyguard scheme with this crew. The Second Guardian and Toolkit allows you to make a fantastic protect chain with the toolkit able to provide extra healing.

None of these lists is optimized for Brawls, as you just have Hoffman as a master.

None of these lists is optimized for objective heavy missions or reconnoiter, as you really shine when you can keep this crew close together (save some Pale Rider options - but you also don't want to hang him out to dry...)

It's a low model count list...but Hoffman is good at that. Happy Hunting.