The Pockets Levi Diary 2012

magicpockets

Okay, back to the diary - hopefully I'll get some time to write up my initial thoughts over the weekend and add them to my first post, and then I've got a game or two with him next week against Hoffman which should be fun, plus I should be getting over to another local club to play another game.

I think I'll buy Molly's box as someone has stolen my book 2 so I don't have her rules any more to work out what she can bring to the table, although I think she'll be more situational (like Collodi) as I'm really liking SS Miners and how they work in a Levi crew (and they take up the special forces slot). Such a shame I can't take Kaeris though :(

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

magicpockets, I wouldn't take the box if I were you, you're never going to take the Rogue (he's to frail if you don't get him summoned up front with McM or Squishodem), and the croligans are pretty situational, and you don't really have the points spare to take 3 of them for maximum utility.

Levi

Molly 9

3 Crooligans: 12

Dog: 2

Cache 4-5

is by itself 27-28 stones, leaving you to few to do with your other stones I fear

*UPDATED*

Okay, so we flipped for strategies and ended up with shared Distract with Mike playing Hoffman and me playing Leveticus. Unfortunately we spent so much time talking we forgot to pick schemes.

Crews -

Mike - Hoffbot, Drill Sergent, Watcher, Arachnid Swarm, 2x Austringers, SS Miner

Me - Leveticus, Canine Remains, SS Miner, 3xSPAs, Bette Noir, Stolen

Turn one we both pretty much prepped our units, he DStanced and buried SS Miner and Hoffman and I gave Bette Fast/Blessings/DStance/Groin Strike and the SS Miner DStance, Melee Master and buried him.

The game was fairly slow to begin with, with the 2x SS Miners and Hoffman heading towards opposite deployment zones in the first half of the game, his Austringers hiding in buildings near his DZ and my crew moving up the field.

Everything really happened in turns 3/4 when Levi killed his first Austringer, turned his SS Miner into an SPA (which formed a Desolation Engine with the three SPAs), a waif baited his swarm and popped Bette out (3x Slit Jugulars and only 5 cards = dead swarm) before reburying her with Fast, and dropped the SS Miner on one Austringer (didn't kill him but took him out of the game).

Mike unburied Hoffman in my DZ in turn 6 (Levi was on his) but Mike didn't realise Hoffman would then be insignificant (as per the SS Miners rule) and would have lost the game if I hadn't flipped a Red Joker for another turn. So ended up 0-0.

Not an exciting game, but it really showed that popping Bette out of Waifs has a stack of potential for assassinations.

Edited by magicpockets

Will update this, but -

1. 0-0 draw

2. Bette with Levi is INSANE

3. Hoffman assimilating bury is bent

1. Never had or seen that result before.

2. You keep saying this and I keep meaning to try it

3. Damn straight he is bent that way! (That's how I won the Hardcore this year)

It works like this...

Canine is killed and Bete comes into play. Levi activates makes a waif with corpse, gives Bete and the SS miner blessing of desolation. SS miners goes over drive and kills the waif which auto triggers siphon soul to gain a stone . SS miners Kills Stolen which again gains a stone and brings in a rat. SS miner kills the rat, gains a stone and triggers bete's feed on death giving her fast. Bete activates and burys with all of the buffs.

It works like this...

Canine is killed and Bete comes into play. Levi activates makes a waif with corpse, gives Bete and the SS miner blessing of desolation. SS miners goes over drive and kills the waif which auto triggers siphon soul to gain a stone . SS miners Kills Stolen which again gains a stone and brings in a rat. SS miner kills the rat, gains a stone and triggers bete's feed on death giving her fast. Bete activates and burys with all of the buffs.

Spot on mate, just don't forget to bury the SS Miner and DStance Bette/do her (0) action too.

Edited by magicpockets

Okay, another game with Levi vs my Hoffman sparring partner last night, this time playing Shared Deliver the Message with 35ss. However, we agreed at the start that I wouldn't auto-include Collodi and he wouldn't assimilate bury and hide Hoffbot for the entire game.

My crew

======

Levi (2ss cache)

Canine Remains

Stolen

Bette Noir

SS Miner

Large SPA

Rusty Alyce

His Crew

======

Hoffbot (with 7ss)

Ryle

Lucious

2x Guild Hounds

Student of Conflict

Papa Loco

I announced Levi's scheme (to try it) and Kill Protegee on Ryle, he took Holdout and Frame for Murder on Papa Loco but didn't announce them. I won 2-1 by getting Kill Protegee and stopping his Hold Out (lucky guess)

Highlights

======

Getting everything powered up in my DZ and using the Miner to get SS back feels like I'm playing Hamelin again and I didn't enjoy it much, the only good thing was realising that Bette could one hit the Large SPA to kill it and drop the 3 scrap counters.

Alyce did a good job of making 4xSteam Punk Abominations for my Desolation engine, although I can't for the life of me remember where the fourth scrap counter came from. Aside from that I'm still struggling to get 8ss of value from her and don't see her as an include in my crews.

I let Levi die in turn 3 as I realised Lucious was likely to get 4vps from Deliver the Message against him, which took out my main delivery system for Bette - although between the SPAs forming the Desolation Engine and killing his hounds she still got plenty of table time (including Paralysing Lucious). Her "pop out, attack, bury" thing in one activation (by the end of the game she had Defensive Stance, :crows:crows on her Cb, (+1) Fast and all three Depraved Tactics on her) is very OP but will likely get completely cuddled if they change the burying mechanic to resolve effects whilst buried. But as for now, she's my favorite little toy.

Papa Loco is great with Lucious' reinforcements. Turn two and he was bang in the middle of my deployment zone and, well...... :(

The D/Engine is a beast and my only mistake was moving it next to Hoffman, giving it reactivate to Deliver the Message, and then Mike Machine Puppeting it to kill Hoffman before I got my next activation (fair play to him, that's what I would have done). Also noticed that a D/Engine on 1wd can't actually do anything other than Pass, which is annoying.

The SS Miner was pretty uneventful in this game and I may rethink his "core" place in my lists, especially as I forgot he was insignificant when he unburied so couldn't Deliver the Message after popping up next to Hoffman.

Questions

=======

1. Does anyone have a way of playing Alyce that's worth 8ss or is she another Book 1 minion that doesn't cut it?

2. Am I right that D/Engines on 1wd can't do anything?

3. Is the SS Miner a core unit for Levi or has its use been over-hyped (which I'd then be guilty of) because of the bury abuse opportunities?

4. Any ideas on things I'm missing to try out next?

1. Does anyone have a way of playing Alyce that's worth 8ss or is she another Book 1 minion that doesn't cut it?

She is no auto include that's for sure. I tend to field 1-2 Belles. With those it's quiet possible to lure Alice into rapid fire position.

So, 8SS for a good shooter, a second model able to summon SPAs and you are able to draw 2 further cards to improve your hand cards. Also Burn Out CAN be quiet a match winner...

I would not field her without the belles though.

2. Am I right that D/Engines on 1wd can't do anything?

If you don't have any SPAs around to consume, yes...

3. Is the SS Miner a core unit for Levi or has its use been over-hyped (which I'd then be guilty of) because of the bury abuse opportunities?

That depends on how to tend to play. If you like to play broken stuff (Miner+Lazarus) that's definitely nasty and broken. If you field him alone he's good. But other minions you have access to are good as well... Since I don't like to play broken stuff I field him on a regular base alone. But he is no auto include of mine... It usually is a question if I have the 8SS for a rider or only 6 SS for the Miner...

4. Any ideas on things I'm missing to try out next?

Belles... My most popular minions for Levi. If you are not luring enemies into Levi's range, push him or others (e.g. Alice) into position...

Watcher! Significant, fast and able to look into the future... Combined with Waifs there are some nice things possible... If you have a high :tomes or :crows on your hand all you need is to look up the next two cards and make sure that the suit missing for doing Desolation with a Waif is the second card that is flipped using a Soulstone.

You have to outactivate your opponent (or be sure he doesn't target you with anything) for this, but 2x Walk (+ lures ;) ) and (0) Desolation with a Waif is quiet nice and is always a surprise for your opponent... MOst aren't even aware of the fact that Waif can do (0) spells since they don't use magical extention but empty being.

Even though Watcher are very useful. Flying next to a target in cover to make it more vulnerable to unnatural wasting or some other range attack (Alice rapid fire ;) ). 3SS you can't ask for more...

I'm fairly new to Leveticus and I find that I mostly struggle with the objective-grabbing aspect of the game with him. I haven't played him with a wide variety of models yet, mostly just his starter box + Ashes and Dust.

I'm trying to figure out good, fairly all encompassing, Undead and Construct based lists for essentially each type of scenario and it's incredibly daunting given the possibilities. Does anyone have any preferred lists for certain type of encounters they could share?

Well, if you need minions for objective grabbing.

The most obvious choices would be Watcher and Necropunks. Both significant and cheap. Also fast. While those necropunks need a suit to be fast Watcher are always fast and have some nice tricks to offer (see above). Also I prefer minions that drop scrap counters.

Both also have slow to die. So if you just double walk them on an objective your opponent gains nothing shooting them down. He would have to take them down in melee to deny the objective (the Watcher is also immune to all lure things since he is ItI).

But you also got some quick minions in the higher SS area. All those riders for example...

Due Watcher and MC Rider have also other qualities than being fast and quiet cheap for what you get and drop scrap counters the basis for an objective grabbing crew would be 2 Watcher and MC Rider for me. If you prefer undead models for whatever reason you can switch Necropunks for those Watchers.

I don't have fix lists yet. Leveticus has not as much minions to his disposal as any other non Outcast master but his minion pool is very good. To have playtest all good options needs a while...

Leveticus has not as much minions to his disposal as any other non Outcast master but his minion pool is very good. To have playtest all good options needs a while...

Really? I thought he had one of the biggest pool of minions in the game?

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

by the end of the game she had Defensive Stance, :crows:crows on her Cb, (+1) Fast and all three Depraved Tactics on her

All 3 depraved tactics? I thought you couldn't do this as they all have the same name(Depraved Tactics) and effects of the same name don't stack?

Nope, it's because of all those Mercs. Quantitatively speaking he has a little less than other masters, but qualitstively it's a whole other story. Even it's a pain he has no access to Bishop, Hans, Freikorpsmann and co. *wink*

€dit:

Magicpocket is right. Those effects of Depraved tactics got all other names. So they can stack. The name of the effect is not Depraved Tactics but Svere Spine, Mutilate and Groin Strike.

Edited by Parzival

Maybe you should count the others before you make such a statement...

The faction with the smallest minionpool is the guild. So I will just show it with them:

12 Minions Book 1

8 Minions Book 2

6 Minions Book 3

20 Mercs

46 (47 for Sonnia [Fire Gamins] and about 50 for Hoffman)

As I said before quantitative... Many of those 22 Mercs aren't even worth considering.

But the Guild has the smallest minionpool (not including Outcasts). Neverborn got 10 minions from book 3 (effigies) for example and Zoraida has a pool of about 70 minions... Other factions got a few more minions.

Edited by Parzival

In reality though levi has the most viable options.

indeed his list might seem smaller, but he has far less ballast,

for example, Colette has all arcanist minions and all mercs, but on the bord Colette has

Duet

Cassie

Performer/mannequins

Angelica

Kaeris

Joss

Johan

Fire Gamins

Mech. Doves

and that's all I've ever seen her take, so 9 options, while with Levi you can take almost everything he can take without hampering yourself to much :)

Maybe you should count the others before you make such a statement...

Counted and I will admit that I was wrong in my last statement. Right now he is maxing out at 53 models. Here is the complete list.

Slight Edit: He has 54 if you count his avatar.

Guild:

Peacekeeper

Guardian

Hunter

Ryle

Watcher

Pale Rider

Warden

Ressers:

Grave Spirit

Bete Noire

Canine Remains