The Pockets Levi Diary 2012

magicpockets

I like my version of the story, where we don't mention things like you getting a black joker on the Dead Rider hitting Rami with 1Wd left, and I got a red joker for damage followed by a severe, letting a 2ss Bayou Gremlin deal 12 damage to the rider in the subsequent activation.

Have to agree, your version is so much better. And I dont want to take anything away from your win and how impressed I was with how you played, I'd just like a proper game against you in the future :)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mechanical rider does the same thing. She gets her purpose at start of turn, based on turn number.

The Dead Rider uses the phrase "while this model has # Wd remaining ...", could that qualify as "stating otherwise" for duration purposes?

I can't see anything for the Pale Rider that would let it keep abilities past the end of turn.

Your overthinking it. The purpose is an ability. Its just like slow to die or hard to wound. The purpose is not an effect, just an ability that changes depending on certain circumstances. I don't have book 3 so I cannot comment on the pale rider.

My last two games with Leveticus were against Gremlins (Som'er+Ophelia and Ophelia) and I lost both, the one against Som'er was a 6-2 loss while the one vs Ophelia was 7-6.

Both games involved the Slaughter strategy (first game I had it, second game my opponent had it) and it seems like it is a huge handicap due to the sheer quantity of Gremlins you have to kill to make up for the loss of a single guy (not even counting getting completely outactivated / "outactioned").

What would be the prefered crew to field against them in a Slaughter? A bunch of low-point models while keeping Leveticus on 8 SS?

I know Bete is nifty because you can just bury her, but I really don't like seeing her being played vs Gremlins because of the card destroy mechanic; the soulstone miners are brilliant and also help with Gather Soulstones, and has some protection vs him Drain Souling 9 Bayou's on the last turn because Bete can drop on him.

At present, you are relying on Levi getting a killing blow to give you slaughter advantage; but the problem is that if you don't kill Levi, then he still counts his soulstones for dying the first time if the Gremlins are able to get the drop on you when they out activate you (which they will do).

With Levi drawing cards when he casts this isn't too much of an issue once you're expecting it, and used aggressively I'd expect Levi/Waifs can very quickly gather some points vs low wounds Gremlins - but you're right, you need to kill him at the end of his activation rather than relying on his 1wd at the end of the turn. Maybe against Gremlins I'd look at a Desolation Engine or Mechanical Rider in there - or even Collodi for hit and run attacks.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'm going to order myself another SS Miner and give it a shot.

On another note, I managed to get the Desolation out in the first game that I lost, his Def 2 meant that Ophelia went to town on him on the following turn. That put me in an 18SS hole which I never managed to make up. Granted, I'm cognizant that I summoned him in a bad spot to begin with.

Ryle seems like he would be good, although I couldn't take him with SS Miners, but keeping him alive seems problematic.

Edited by WiLDRAGE

Summoning is always a little dangerous in Slaughter as you need to make sure you have the momentum to make any extra SS from summons, worth the cost of being able to grant more SS to your opponent. I find shared slaughter can often see everything happen in one turn, and one model being killed being all that needs to happen

I hate to use "best case scenario" arguments, but I can't help but feel that Ophelia and Rami have more movement and snipe range than Ryle, even with his 4" push and +1 shooting ap, and you are unlikley to pull off his (2) action to shoot multiple targets. In the world where you get your prime shots, a hoard of gremlins with equal range can do the same thing, but with more movement.

He's kind of playing back into the large SS model that has to work harder than a gremlin dumb and lucky killing himself, and sacrifices the protection of the soulstone miners.

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest I've only briefly thought about it and not played Malifaux for a couple of months due to work (hence the lack of updating my three threads on here). My gut feeling is it will make a difference but there will still be some balance issues in the match up.

And re Bette and SS Miner, I was a big supporter of the change and am glad it happened. It does change things, but only to the point of making them fair - we all agreed what we'd found was a hole and not a "strategy" so to speak. My gut is Bette is still a great include and I'll likely be running her still out of the waifs, but I think we'll be seeing much less of the SS Miner now.

I'll try an get a game in with Bette as she stands now and try to report back. Trouble is finding the time (to put it in context, at work we've signed off more revenue this quarter than we did in the entire year last year - that doesn't leave me much time to get to events and tournaments really)

What do you think to the changes?

• 1 month later...

With my Somer crew going into the paint shop for the next month or so I'm going to be dusting off Levi again for some soulless shenanigans and hopefully updating this thread a little.

Questions

======

Has anyone played the Pale Rider yet - what's the verdict?

When are Wardens out? :(

Why does H2W2 on the Dead Rider suck so much (I'll almost NEVER take him again)

How are people finding aLevi?

i used the pale rider once or twice, awsome gun with the push and attack make hit and runs easy. doubt alyce or ryle will come much once hes out think his first cycle (0 deaths) is best then his last also the heal when it kills is nice

as for alevi have used him once at 35 stone and just didnt have enough activations, really needs at least the dead and pale for their bonuses and the hooded can be the best survival option against some crews with night, really needs to be bigger games or even brawls for him to get the most use. also seems to not get much done since u prob wont be manifesting till turn 3 (since one requirement is to die twice) then spend turn 4 pumping out the fourth rider it leaves only 2 turns for him to do anything. have a few bigger games planned so will see how he performs then