The Pockets Levi Diary 2012

magicpockets

Okay, so before Masters I was starting to explore Leveticus and finding him a bit of a hit/miss master to play as (thread here)

Taking the lead from Calmdown's diary I've decided to restart my thread for Levi as much of the old thread got derailed into rules discussions with some of the new ideas I had (mainly around Bette and Soulstone Miner).

Faction Pros/Cons

===========

As with most of the Outcast crews, Levi is narrowed to his "own" crew rather than a full faction of models - although he has a huge range of models which "should" make him extremely versatile - even better, he doesn't need to pay the +1ss for out of faction hires.

On the downside, he has the Outcast curse of 0ss (which means you'll almost always have less soulstones of minions than your opponents), has an outdated death mechanic (it was cool in Book one, but is a handicap now after the release of book 2 - eg with LCB), and he's limited by not being able to hold useful cards until later in the game (i.e. if you get the Red Joker in your hand you may want to hold it until that crucial moment later in the game - but not with Levi)

Model Selection

==========

Levi's models can be split into three areas, namely Constructs, Undead and Soulless - I'll also add a separate "Leaders" section for Levi, Henchmen and Totems. This is a HUGE selection so I'm going to slowly fill out this section as I play with/against certain models.

Leaders

----------

Leveticus

Collodi

Molly

Hollow Waifs

Grave Spirit

Necrotic Machine

Constructs

-------------

Undead

---------

Soulless

----------

Ideas, Synergies and Breaking Malifaux

========================

TBC...

Edited by magicpockets
Updating Post COntent

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you have more luck than I did. I could definitely feel the potential of him also. But after 20 games or so just couldnt get him to work. Collodi ruined me. Dreamer wasnt too bad, the movement means you have to spread yourself fairly thing. Interested to see how you do with him.

Good luck magicpockets :)

If it is of any consolation, in Belgium Levi has gotten pretty feared by now, especcially after I managed to Assasinate miss Du Bois, en changed plans midway first turn another game to get my second waif out of Von Badass, leaving the dead dog to Molly. This admittedly would not have worked had I not had Imbue Vigor ready on Levi :P, but nothing better to get rid on something that wanted to destroy the neutral evidence :).

I really hope you find an answer to Dreamer, cause as off now, I had brought Hamelin just in case someone brought Dreamer.

Things which were important for my games were the following:

Hookers; luring things of objective last turn is pure filth, and made my differential 4 points better just by 1 Lure/2 points.

Molly- is a wonderfull piece of equipment for Levi, cause really, Imbue Vigor breaks him hard (did that slow master just move 12" and cast 2 spells turning my model in deployment zone into a SPA turn 2? Yes he did) :P

(or also funny, moving 6 via Necromantic sacrifice, hit Viktoria in close combar, kill vik, turn ronin into SPA with remaining 2 spells), really, Pandora is tame compared to Imbued Leveticus, Imbued he can get at least 1 model down regardless where he is, and 2 if positioned correctly :P

Desolation looks good, but really is a trap, how I wish Desolation to be a (1) spell, I would barely cast other spells anymore :P, but as is Deaths Lessons is too important.

One more piece of advice, though it really is only an ultimate resort, nothing stops you preventing damage, not even when Unstable Necromancy sets in, so if you're left at one wound, and without waifs, just prevent, close to no-one sees that coming, but it is there anyway :), a hand without cards and Levi who only will do melee or Unnatural Wasting is still better then losing Levi all together, if you need more wounds to complete your plans, prevent on damage you take :)

Will be interested in following this, Levi is my 2nd favourite master but so far he's been very hot and miss. Completely love Ashes at the moment but i really need to experiment a bit more with different lists.

I need to play Ashes and see how it goes, seems like a lot of ss to tie up even at 35ss. This is going to cost me a fortune....

I need to play Ashes and see how it goes, seems like a lot of ss to tie up even at 35ss. This is going to cost me a fortune....

Yeah I wouldn't normally take him below 35ss except for a laugh. He may be expensive but as long as you can bring him back after he dies he's well worth the cash.

I wont be taking him against mcmourning tomorrow though as MM can kill the ashen core in one hit.

Ashes and Dust is awesome. Of all the models with a cost greater than 10, I find it the most active and horrific. Lacks Terror but you want the opponent in close and not running away. Alyce works ok with Burnout, but because the A&D hangs around you have to be careful not to lose it unprepared.

Bette and the Soulstone Miner work well abusing the Bury Mechanic. Bette seems better on the cheaper game so far becuase you don't need Alyce. The Miner is faster because of Alyce but you might luck out and lose it because it has no healing and only 6 wds. Laz with asimilate can work in conjunction with the Miner, but we need a model.

These 3 avenues are the ones I'm using atm because Nico is better at the Undead warmachine.

Who else can benefit from the Blessings of Desolation?

Is Avatar Levi worth the effort?

Is it worth the effort to keep Levi Alive since he is so slow/redactive?

I'd never use Burnout on the SS Miner. Give it defensive stance, (+2) Melee Master and a :crows from blessings of desolation to get soulstones or SPAs from everything you kill and send it on it's merry way.

The extra turn you get out of the Miner helps get it into the battle faster and helps with the first turn activation count. It never suffers the reduction to 1Wd because its buried by then. So I believe.

The problem is if you ever leave the miner out to the end of an activation after reactivating it (even turns later) you drop to one wound. It could be cool to have for later in the game in case you need the extra attacks, but I'd rather take an extra SS Miner for 6ss than Alyce for her 9ss

Why at the end of any/every close phase? There is a period between the ability it recieves and the one off effect of at the closing phase. Or moreso the effect that reduces to 1 Wd isn't given to the model but applied as an effect at the time indicated.

(1) Burn Out

(CC: 15:tomes/ Rst: - /Rg: 10) Target friendly Construct receives Reactivate . Reduce target to 1 Wd at the tart of the Closing Phase.

^^ The effect doesn't come off, it just doesn't resolve. So the the effect created by Burn Out (which is different to the effect of Reactivate which is generates) sits on the model until it can resolve, so at any time you're on the board at the end closing phase Burn Out will resolve and you'll drop to one wound.

Does that make sense?

^^ The effect doesn't come off, it just doesn't resolve. So the the effect created by Burn Out (which is different to the effect of Reactivate which is generates) sits on the model until it can resolve, so at any time you're on the board at the end closing phase Burn Out will resolve and you'll drop to one wound.

Does that make sense?

Not really. It doesnt say "The Target gains..." the effect, why does it sit on the model and not in the game?

Edit: Why didn't they use "Target friendly Construct receives Reactivate and at the start of the Closing Phase Reduce this model to 1 Wd."

Edited by Kael Hate

I don't think there are any other instances of an effect floating around in "the game" waiting to attach themselves to a model at a particular time? No reason why this should be read as any different from both parts of the effect being on the model.

Mike

Nurse is written the same.

Also considering every other V2 effect specifies this model gains or recieves or has an aura linked, there are no other instances to relate. Voodoo doll is likely the closest being the only thing that isn't a kill/damage/sacrifice outside the normal phase.

Pointless discussion anyhow.

2 activations is better than 1. If you are staying above ground you lose the defense bonus that you have to spend a 1AP and 2-7" of movement on anyhow. With the reactivate each turn, you get to charge then bury later. The only reason stay above ground is to negate insignificant, but at half wounds you are insignificant anyhow.

Incidentally, the correct answer to your discussion is as Magic said - as soon as the target of Burnout is in play during an end closing phase, it is reduced to 1 wound. This would ordinarily happen in the end closing phase immediately following the turn in which you use burnout, but since a buried model is not in play at that point, the effect does not resolve. The effect does not, however, go away... since it has not yet resolved.

Not really. It doesnt say "The Target gains..." the effect, why does it sit on the model and not in the game?

Edit: Why didn't they use "Target friendly Construct receives Reactivate and at the start of the Closing Phase Reduce this model to 1 Wd."

An effect on a model is anything which changes it's stat card, which this would be. If you really think we're wrong feel free to post it in the rules forum.

If you are staying above ground you lose the defense bonus that you have to spend a 1AP and 2-7" of movement on anyhow. With the reactivate each turn, you get to charge then bury later. The only reason stay above ground is to negate insignificant, but at half wounds you are insignificant anyhow.

And you lose the bonus from Blessings of Desolation and Melee Master. And you only get reactivate for one turn (or "use" if you're burying repeatedly) btw unless Alyce does it on you every turn.

Wasn't it also covered that if you'd used Overdrive & gained Reactivate then after the first activation you'd lose the Melee Master & 2w

Yes, that's right. I really don't see reactivate having a place in a Levi list this way.

Course of play I was using with Miners

1. Activate Levi

2. Bless both Miners

3. Activate Alyce

4. Burn out both Miners

5. Activate Miner

6. Move 10"

7. Reactivate Miner

8. Move 5"

9. Bury Miner

Repeat for other Miner

Move Miners 8"

End Turn

Surface Miners

1. Activate Miner

2. Move 10"

3. Reactivate Miner

4. Defensive Stance

5. Overdrive

6. Melee Strikes if Need be.

7. Bury Miner

Repeat for other miner

Move miners 8"

End Turn

Surface Miner

1. Activate Miner

2. Melee Strikes or move 3" then Melee Strikes

3. Bury Miner.

Repeat until things are all dead, shockwave style.

Guess this fails somewhere. Why does reactivate fall off if I use burnout on the miner but not if I use Lazarus to copy it from a miner and bury each turn?