Slumming it: Calmdown's Rezzers 2012 Diary

Calmdown

Calmdown, can you go into (in as much detail is possible) how you go about modularizing your crew creation. As it is for me, I'm just sort of thinking of stuff that works well together but I usually end up either to low on ss or have enough ss and end up cutting something that could have compeletly changed the game. I'm just kinda looking for as much general information from people who are more competetive pros since most people I play against have lots of experience from a bunch of other games.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an observation, McMorning doesn't have an ability that will allow him to pick up Body Parts. He can gain them, or exchange Corpse Counters for them, but he doesn't have an ability to pick them up. The practical upshot of which would be that if he can pick them up than anyone can?

Omnivision has already touched on this, but isn't the general rule that anyone who can "use" a counter can pick it? And being able to "use" something means either being a model which can actively generate it (through characteristic, Talent or Spell) or a model which has a Talent or Spell with the counter as a requirement.

Omnivision has already touched on this' date=' but isn't the general rule that anyone who can "use" a counter can pick it? And being able to "use" something means either being a model which can actively generate it (through characteristic, Talent or Spell) or a model which has a Talent or Spell with the counter as a requirement.[/quote']

According to pg.18 of the rules manual this is correct.

• 3 weeks later...

Added the mighty Mortimer, and the new Rafkin to my model pool. Also I now own 10 Canine Remains :) OP updated with new comments on a few models.

I also trialled a Dead Doxy last week, and it will probably make the model pool. Its not the greatest model in the world but it has some potential and could show up occasionally in McMourning (not in Nicodem... he wants all of his tomes for Putrefy)

With the errata to Molly on her card the Nico list in the OP is now very defunct. New Nico lists are looking pretty damned good, particularly with Bete, Mortimer, Rafkin and dogs in various combinations. I think the effectiveness of these lists is going to surprise a lot of people - there's a damn big synergy chain in Nico to exploit when you get past his speed.

UK tournament season starts for me on 19th February, which may be McMourning or Nicodem (its fixed master, unfortunately). Tourney reports will be coming soon!

Edited by Calmdown

A couple models you didn't include I have found useful for reasons you didn't mention. I would be interested in seeing if this would influence your opinion of them, as I often find myself wondering how good they really are. These are basically those "oh yeahs" that tip them over the edge into making the cut sometimes:

Crooked Men: Paralyze trigger has come in very handy.

The Hanged: High willpower is awesome against a lot of Neverborn crews. Gives Pandora and Stitched fits.

Thoughts?

A couple models you didn't include I have found useful for reasons you didn't mention. I would be interested in seeing if this would influence your opinion of them, as I often find myself wondering how good they really are. These are basically those "oh yeahs" that tip them over the edge into making the cut sometimes:

Crooked Men: Paralyze trigger has come in very handy.

The Hanged: High willpower is awesome against a lot of Neverborn crews. Gives Pandora and Stitched fits.

Thoughts?

I dislike Crooked Man's statline as a whole and I dislike Ca4 powering his best abilities. Bjt, I think there is potential for a Rezzer Paralyze-spam list in certain scenarios so he may see some playtesting later on. I do own 3 so we'll see.

The Hanged I dont really like. Wp 7 is nothing to write home about; if it was on a faster model with better offensive abilities Id consider it, but as it is, Hanged dont really do anything special and are 8 points without an action modifier. Ive never had them make back their points and I dont see any situations where there isnt a better option right now.

I wish I could disagree about Hanged. I really WANT to like them. Despite many attempts, I've yet to realize their potential and 8ss is a large, jagged, bitter pill to swallow.

I've enjoyed mixed results with Crooked Men. I like to think there's something there I haven't fully realized.

I just cant justify running a model without HtW1 in a list full of HtW models. I agree they have potential, particularly shooting your own models or with Nico's buff to be able to hit and maybe paralyze, but when 4 points can buy you a Belle or 2 Dogs its a tough sell to use a Crooked Man.

I hate Hanged because they're so damn cool. If I ever knew my opponent was bringing a living list I'd definitely give them a go. Problem is that that's basically impossible to guarantee and then you're left with the aforementioned expensive, slow, 2ap model.

I like the idea of the hanged but my experience playing against them is disapointing. They are slow, and typically don't make it to the fight until turn 3 or later. I play Neverborn and Guild. My Neverborn and Hoffman can all shift so quickly that the hanged have trouble catching up, and rarely get to do much of anything. Plus, I frequently have a lot of constructs or non-living models, which the hanged can't do a whole lot about.

I am sure that they have potential with Pandora/Jack Daw, and I can see the synergy with Kirai who can move them around easily. From what I remember of ASeamus' rules, I think they could be effective with him as well, but they cost 8 stones.

For me Crooked Men are sort of a deal that makes sense only in Ressurectionists crew. Especially if it is Nicodem and possibly Avatar of Decay build.

Sure, they aren't as useful as Belles and they serve different purpose than Dogs, but the tools they bring offer some early game area-denial* and having one Crooked Man for that, maybe even two, never hurts.

Later in the game they will die and become Punk Zombies or Belles and this is the Ressurectionist logic that makes them viable to me. I like to start with one and I make sure it dies quickly by putting it on the forefront and being as annoying with it as I can.

*Both in terms of ability to lay traps and in terms of ability to AoE at short range.

Crooked men have done great things for me with Nicodem, I like to take one. Very much in the lines of Qi iq' el having the early game area denial on top of a bolster combat that can cause paralysed can be very good, He can die easily and be turned into other things as the need arises, on top of being a launch point for nicos doom blast without the annoying negative flips.

Wondering where the change of heart on Mortimer came from, as I agree he has synergy and uses with Nicodem but he is alot of stones for a primarly support model althought I have used him a ton with nico to good success, I just see such potential with rafkin that morty may hit the case for a spell.

I found myself in an interesting situation the other day with Morti and a Nurse v. Coryphee duet, waaay on the other side of the board from the rest of my crew (or rather, too far away to really care about them much anymore).

Duet was a threat because it was going to get the last corner ritual (arcanist-specific scheme), and other than Morti, the Nurse stimmed up all the zombies/desp mercs she was going to that game. So what did she do? Well, only what she does best...

Post Coryphee activation, Mortimer suddenly stand up and whacks it around with a 10 combat of shovel in its face and flipping an extra card of spaded bludeoning damage, wrecking the construct. Oh, he didn't do it the first time, ya say? Good thing he had reactivate too! The duet's +flips to Df didn't do her much against trowel-power of that magnitude...

Not common obviously, but a note-worthy kill, IMHO.

The hanged are a tough one, I admit. They have some cool stuff going for them, including a sort of lure of their own. But thinking about it, I realize they cost the same as a Shikome...hmm, they don't seem equal.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Oh Calmdown... one model I wanted to mention. Sebastian is slow but considering what you get for 6 points, he is pretty amazing.

An aoe that does 4 damage. Melee expert and very high damage for rezzers. He can even heal himself, and can launch a canine alpha strike.

Oh Calmdown... one model I wanted to mention. Sebastian is slow but considering what you get for 6 points, he is pretty amazing.

An aoe that does 4 damage. Melee expert and very high damage for rezzers. He can even heal himself, and can launch a canine alpha strike.

I have to admit I dont exactly have extensive play experience with him.

In his favour, he is a melee expert, he's 6 points, and he's damn tough for 6 points (I learned the hard way in one game that he is not a good turn 1 target for a Chompy Slingshot :P ).

His problems are, that he has Wk 4, Cb 5, and he isn't Undead.

I want to love him because he has 3AP, but I wish he was a Young Neph or a Kade or something equally strong for 6 points.

When you put an offensive living model on the table and he's your only one, you're basically asking for your opponent to drop all of his Terrifying/Living-affecting abilities in that one place and neuter your vulnerable unit. Therefore it really has to be worth what you're giving up to do so. Although he is very tough in the raw damage-taking department, he loses out here. And because he's slow, it's hard to get him where he needs to be, particularly against fast crews.

I've not given up on him by a long shot, but he never makes it into my lists right now. He is definitely on the cards for testing in my Nico lists with Necrotic Machine, though. This list in particular I have in mind to test with him:

Nicodem (7ss)

Necrotic Machine

Sebastian

Rafkin

8x Canine Remains

This is how you open with this list:

Rafkin activates and uses his ability which I keep forgetting the name of

Sebastian activates and kills 6 dogs with his AE, then uses Man's Best Friend

5th dog activates, moves and picks up 6 corpse counters, then uses its (0) to give them to Nico. Rafkin gains 6 body parts.

Nico activates and summons a Rogue Necromancy, maybe followed by a Flesh Construct. Rafkin gains 4-6 body parts.

Next turn Rafkin dumps 5-6 Mindless Zombies. You now have:

Nico

Necrotic Machine

Sebastian

Rafkin

2 Canine Remains

Rogue Necromancy

Flesh Construct or 2 Corpse Counters

6 Mindless Zombies

An epic hand of high cards for turn 2 (hopefully)

That's a lot of stuff on the board and you can pretty much rambo in your Necromancy and Flesh Construct whilst your guys who wasted some of turn 1 move up, then summon two new ones with the MZs. You ideally want the Necro to die after doing damage as you want to summon it and draw 4 cards again. Drawing 4 cards wins games.

So why Sebastian? In this list, thanks to Necrotic Machine Sebastian becomes a Cb 9 dude for a while (when he has 2 dogs providing -2 Df that run in in front of him, and Nico's buff) and Cb 7 after some dogs die. With Cb 7+ his damage line is *very* strong. Also as he's one of the few tough Rezzers with Df 5, he then becomes a solid Df 7 with Nico's buff and suddenly, with Wd 9 and HtW1, he's very difficult to remove - especially with Nico throwing healing blasts at him. Your opponent can't afford to really send two models into melee with him even, since he can drop his own AE attack and Nico can blast them, meaning he has to basically try to kill him with one model, which is not that easy to do!

Rezzer synergy. Who'd have thought it existed :)

Edited by Calmdown

Drawing 4 cards wins games.

In my last game with Nico I took Sue. I turned him undead and then use hurt to draw three cards instantly. You wont get 4 cards but then again you wont have to resummon him either. He can be healed by decay and will have CB7 paired pistols with bolster. His +2wp bonus can also help in numerous instances. You could potentially throw up his circle of flames to help kill off the dogs but unfortunately it isnt enough to kill them all in one shot. Also drag along a nurse to shoot him up for reactivate and stimulant and then shrug off the effect.

I was under the impression that Nicodem using Arise would activate Rafkin's preserve bodies which would seem to make the most efficient use of corpses something like this.

- Rafkin uses preserve bodies and hurls a flask at 6(however many you want to hit and can fit under the template really) dogs cheating for moderate and the blast.

- Dogs activate and die to poison, allows you to out activate your opponent if you so desire

- Nicodem uses Arise as his 0 action Making 6-8 zombies and giving Rafkin 6-8 Parts.

Nicodem then casts Reanimator for 4 Cards and the RN leaving 2-4 zombies on the board, possibly also the Construct for 2 more cards and 0-2 zombies on the board. Rafkin also gains 4-6 more bp.

-Rafkin can then on his next activation use hasty disposal for another 6-7 mindless zombies.

If you have Rafkin save a couple BP and include a nurse in your list some interesting opportunities open up with embalm and massive dose such as:

RN with cb 13 paired, +Dmg flips, +2/+2 wk/cg. reactivate or

Sebs with cb 11, +dmg flips, 6/8 movement and reactivate or

Punks with cb 13 paired, +dmg flips, 6/9 movement and reactivate

These are of course assuming that Embalm can be used to discard the Massive Dose death effect.

The list I was thinking of running soon as my Rafkin shows up is:

Nico 6SS

Necrotic Machine

Canine Remains x 6

Rafkin

Nurse

6 SS for a beater (Sebastian, Convict Gunslinger, maybe even an initial Punk)

The core of this list Nico/6 Dogs/Rafkin/Nurse/Totem I feel is very strong and having 6 SS to tailor to specific models for each game and a 6SS cache gives you a lot of flexibility. Technically you have 9SS if you drop down to 3 pool so you could take Bete. Massive Dose, bury, feel dirty.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

One other thing you could try is use the first turn or two to close range then have the Nurse furious cast dose 2 dogs and reactivate herself then on her next activation dose 3 more dogs giving you 5 doggy missiles at cb 10(12 with hunting dogs added in) 8/11 movement profile in a Sebastian enabled alpha. Dogs die after going crazy killing, maiming, and spreading rabies for future Rigor Mortis WP debuffs. Rafkin preserves and Nico then activates Arise and summons his RN right in their face on turn 3 or so leaving their weakened crew with a horde of zombies and a RN able to activate with attacks from 2 headed. This should let you mop up fairly easily with a good hand in the meaty area of turn 3/4. Dropping one Canine Remain since you only can really dose 5 dogs at once with one Nurse will also get you up to the magic 8SS pool so you can be even more free with SS boosted Decays and Rigor Mortis.

Edited by Mehena

If you activate preserve bodies do you get body parts from counters that are held by another model? Someone might argue that since the counters are held they are technically not in play thus not within six inches of Rafkin. This happened to me when Levi tried to target a scrap counter that he was holding The RM’s rules that Levi cannot target the scrap counter that he himself was holding because its wasn’t in play. Im just afraid the same sort of whacked out logic will prevail and that it will be ruled that the corpse counters have to be on the table at the time they are discarded.

Dogs die after going crazy killing, maiming, and spreading rabies for future Rigor Mortis WP debuffs. Rafkin preserves and Nico then activates Arise and summons his RN...

The dogs are sacrificed not killed. No corpse counters are dropped.

Edited by Twisted Metal