Walpurgis 2 Hobby Log: Graveyard Board

JMGraham

And if I told you that the only way to get a set was to come out to Bellingham to participate in the tournament (and that it was already full, with a waiting list)? :lucifer:

I'll post a thread in the appropriate section shortly, and will link here. I'm not planning on ordering extras, so there will be a limited window of opportunity. Mostly, they're meant to be something special for tournament attendees, though using sales to fund the prize table for the tournament is always appreciated!

I'd have a bit of a swim ahead of me to get there from Australia I think...

I'll wait to see what your going to post!

OK, got some more work done on tournament stuff. Finished up another terrain board and got some photos taken of the scheme deck:

Here's the sewer board. Just about everything is moveable, so there's lots of room for variety, with blocks, junk piles, and bridges that can create walkways over the water. Should be a pretty fun board.

IMG_6053.JPG

IMG_6054.JPG

IMG_6055.JPG

IMG_6056.JPG

IMG_6057.JPG

IMG_6058.JPG

IMG_6060.JPG

Here is the sample scheme deck. Basically, it's a deck of 54 cards. There is a card for each of the schemes (color coded for the master and faction specific ones), with the text of the scheme and a common back. That way, you can put unannounced schemes face down in front of you, and announced schemes face up. I reckon it'd be handy to have them infront of you rather than writing them down or what-not. There are also double-sided cards for each of the strategies, with the text of the regular strategy on one side, and the shared strategy on the other. Stylistically, I reused the look and art from last year's cards.

IMG_6074.JPG

IMG_6076.JPG

And if I told you that the only way to get a set was to come out to Bellingham to participate in the tournament (and that it was already full, with a waiting list)? :lucifer:

I'll post a thread in the appropriate section shortly, and will link here. I'm not planning on ordering extras, so there will be a limited window of opportunity. Mostly, they're meant to be something special for tournament attendees, though using sales to fund the prize table for the tournament is always appreciated!

I tried to get the time off work to come down from vancouver but my evil corporate overlords shot me down :(

I am not building a full grave yard board but I am doing some small grave pieces for my Adepticon terrain and I am stealing a lot of the ideas from your terrain. I really like the fact that you based a lot of the graves on small separate pieces. Makes the board very customizable.

I'll be excited to see pictures of what you both come up with! I can't take credit for the individually mounted gravestones. Someone over on the Lead Adventure Forums had done something similar (though not on such a large scale) and I just kind of went crazy with it.

While I like painting miniatures, I really, really like building terrain. Something about creating little worlds that really does it for me. I like trying to come up with a combination of something that's visually interesting, flexible to allow for variety, and that provides for interesting tactical challenges in gameplay. Wish I had more time to do terrain!

I'll post what I do but I am going to be honest, I am stealing a lot from you.

Its actually pretty funny, I went to the game store today and bought some terrain sets. I ended up coming home with the Garden of Morr and a Citadel tree set because I thought they would be perfect for a creepy cemetary. Then I looked back at your pictures for idea and realized those are exactly what you used :)

Oh well great minds think alike and lazy gamers copy ideas. Personally I am starting to enjoy making terrain but I really need to up my game a bit. This year I am doing a lot of modular interchangeable pieces but next year I am going to start really doing some 3x3 themed boards to really pull things together. If I am lucky the modular pieces I am building this year will work out when I go for a full table.

I've had the good fortune to play on the graveyard board and think it is pretty amazing.

I do wonder how you intend the terrain to factor into the game.

Were you thinking the gravestones should be height 1 or 2? and is the intent to give partial cover when between height 2 models? I am finding my own graveyard board to be pretty... but not very interesting when it comes to game play interaction and thus i'm curious what other people are doing to make their terrain more of a factor in the game.

Glad you like it! I'll try and get the sewer out to Dark Tower games soon.

I always reckon that determining terrain effects are up to the players involved. I forgot how high the tombstones physically are - some are pretty tall, eh?. Were it up to me, I might treat them as Ht 1, Covering, Severe. It'd take an extra inch to move over a grave row, and they provide cover. Hmmm... because there are so bloody many gravestones, I might even suggest to an opponent that you only receive cover if you are in base-to-base contact with one of the grave bases (vs. within 1 inch). Up to the players, though, really!

I've been playing a lot of Infinity these days, so I may be going a bit crazy with the amount of cover available. It may also not hurt that I don't play any shooty crews.

• 3 weeks later...

*whew* Done with the swag, prize are ready to go. Just finishing up the tournament pack now!

Here's a look at the soulstone clusters, cast out of resin:

IMG_6151.JPG

Here are the corrupted field markers/ plague pits, also cast in resin

IMG_6149.JPG

And finally, here's a look at the swag for this year (supplied unpainted, of course!). The tournament is based on the idea that everyone should be showered with prizes. As such (in addition to the prize raffle (which everyone gets SOMETHING from) and the trophies, every tournament participant gets the following:

IMG_6146.JPG

Contents:

2012 Warhamster Fate Deck

Scheme/Strategy Deck

MDF Gallows terrain piece

3 Mantic Zombies

Plague Doctor

3 Soulstone clusters

3 Corrupted field markers

That's the idea! Reduce the win-at-all-costs vibe and foster a laid-back attitude by removing the incentives for winning (they just get a trophy, no extra prizes), and showering everyone with stuff (everyone gets swag and everyone gets (in random order) a draw from the prize table). The only extra stuff you get for winning is a trophy and bragging rights.

That's the idea! Reduce the win-at-all-costs vibe and foster a laid-back attitude by removing the incentives for winning (they just get a trophy, no extra prizes), and showering everyone with stuff (everyone gets swag and everyone gets (in random order) a draw from the prize table). The only extra stuff you get for winning is a trophy and bragging rights.

Man I really want to come to your event, maybe in 2013

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Glad folks like it! Heck, anyone can make one - no special tools required ... almost. The only "custom" bit was the ruins. Those were cast in resin from a mold a friend of mine made. They could easily be substituted with any old "gothic" ruins, though.

I hope I'm going to have time to finish the train depot board before the next one, but at the rate things are going with the swag (slowly), I'm not sure!