Paint based mystery

Guild Monkee

For a while now something has been bugging me and I think it's finally time to seek an answer to a great mystery.

Why oh why does GW devlan mud smell like arse crack?

I've got other companies equivalent paints and they smell fine, I thought it was just my bottle until my mate mentioned the same thing. Is it one of the ingredients that make it smell like that or is it just the inherant nature of GW starting to seep into their product line?

It also depends which batch of washes you have. The early ones aren't too bad, then they moved production somewhere else and they smelled awful. Really, really bad. A lot of people complained and they moved production back, and went back to less stinking paint!

Mind you, they all smell a bit rank. It's the binder I think.

If you think they smell bad, prey you don't taste them. When I paint I rinse out my brush after finishing the color on each boy and then use my tongue to reform the point and suck out the excess moisture.

After doing that for 5 colors on 60 Boyz I was basically on auto pilot. So when it came time to wash the Boyz I grabbed my trusty wash brush, washed the first boy, gave a quick rinse and stuck my brush in my mouth. For the next 2-3 hours my mouth tasted like Devlin Mud smells. For the rest of the week the smell of it would make me queezy.

I'm glad it's made it's way onto their forums, maybe they'll do something about it. Although saying that, they'll probably just do their usual trick of making the pots 10% smaller and 10% more expensive hoping that no-one will notice.

And with lids that are both harder to open and harder to keep open.

Did they really change the volume, though? I could swear that both the hex pots and the new ones were the same amount of fluid ounces, like .4 fl oz, despite the smaller container.

That's one of the reasons I like P3. You get 0.5 fl oz for a little less money. Well, that and the flakes in their metallics are finer than Citadel's/GW's. (Vallejo Air Metallics are really the way to go for metallics, IMO, though. The smallest metallic particles in the business; they give a more believable metallic finish.)

Off topic, but, as long as Wyrd doesn't release paints of their own or slap their name on someone else's paints, I think we're good with the selection that's out there. There are entire hobby store franchises which carry fine acrylic paints in larger quantities and better qualities than most of the game companies. Sure, it's nice to have several shades already mixed for us, but at what cost? The real price ripper is GW primer at $15 or so a can. I can head to the paint aisle of any major store and buy a can of better primer for <$3.

And, yes, I do realize why GW has to have every possible product for their miniatures available. They do have actual stores devoted solely to their products. Bravo! It doesn't mean that they're good products. It just means that it's one stop shopping.

Oh, you're new to the hobby? In that case you'll be needing primer, this color scheme of paints already packaged for you with some brushes, these extra brushes, these tools, these bases, this flocking, and this sealer. Oh, how do you play the game? Well, you'll need the codex for your army, the main rulebook, this tape measure, these templates, and these dice. And you'll definitely need more than that pack of troops.

I'd much rather have official Wyrd shirts, patches, and stickers to advertise their product than to have their logo on other product lines. I'd pay for large official font lettering of Malifaux: Bad Things Happen for the front and / or back of my car. .o0(I'm picturing Malifaux on the front, Bad Things Happen on the back, or both on the back window. Trust me, when I get my car running again, people will notice it.) I'd go ahead and do it myself, but then if people wanted it for themselves, I'd have no way of providing it for them without stepping on Wyrd's toes.

I've moved away from their paints a lot in recent months towards vallejo and p3 (more vallejo just due to local availability but loving their metallic medium!) but I still buy their primer. I know it's a rip off and I feel all kinds of shame when I buy it but I've heard so many horror stories of people buying the wrong thing and totally ruining minis. Guess I just need to find another brand and give it a whirl on something I don't care about (one of my last remaining GW minis perhaps!).

I recommend dupli-color spray paints. It's an automotive grade, sandable primer,... comes in white, grey, and black,.. and lays down truely fantastically on the models, without filling-in or obscuring details.

I do pretty much the same, except I use Rustoleum brand primer and varnish.