Kaled's Malifaux crews

Kaled

Do you mind sharing recipes for your skin/fur and wing membrane? Also the rocks.
Sure. I used GW paints - the old range, haven't yet got any of the new ones yet. The wings were Chaos Black, highlighted by adding Codex Grey and with a wash of Devlan Mud. The flesh was a mix of Khemri Brown and black, washed with Devlan Mud, then highlighted up to Khemri Brown, with a little Dheneb Stone for the top highlights. Fur was Scorced Brown with a Devlan Mud wash and Bestial Brown highlights. The stone was painted Codex Grey, with a wash of (you guessed it) Devlan Mud, and then highlighted with Fortress Grey and a few highlights with Skull White on the very highest points.

White is tricky - in my opinion it's perhaps the most difficult colour to paint.

I usually start with a very light grey (if I want a cold white) or a very light brown (such as stone or bone) for a warm white. I find that a watered down wash of black or brown is often useful to define the areas of shadow that I can then shade with successively darker shades of my base colour. Then I highlight up to pure white for the highest areas.

Hope that helps. I look forwards to seeing how your models turn out.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Just got a few minutes to share a couple of pictures of models I've finished over the last week or so.

First up, a trio of Necropunks;

necropunks.jpg

And second, the Dead Rider;

(Blue horse inspired by this one by poweranimal84 :))

I'm supposed to be playing tomorrow - might have to see if I can fit these guys into a Seamus crew... Next on my painting table - a couple more Canine Remains and some Crooked Men.

- Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all,

I haven't updated this for a couple of weeks, but I've been busy painting and have finished just about everything for my Seamus crew...

First up, a couple more Canine Remains - I hadn't really wanted any at first but have really enjoyed painting both sets.

canine_remains_2.jpg

The I painted a set of Crooked Men - I should probably have taken another picture of these so you could see the sign behind the one on the right.

crooked_men.jpg

I then painted a trio of Drowned. These were also my first experience of modelling a water effect on their bases - it turned out pretty well and I think it really fits well with the models.

drowned.jpg

And finally for today, a group of Punk Zombies...

punk_zombies.jpg

The only model I have left is Avatar Seamus, who I started the other evening. After that I plan to start a Rasputina crew so I can have a break from painting dead flesh and can do some nice wintery bases.

As always comments and suggestions for improvements are welcome.

- Dave

• Like 2

Afternoon all,

Update time. First off, I finished my Seamus crew by painting his avatar;

Click for a pic of Seamus, his avatar & totem

I was about to start on Rasputina and crew, but instead decided to quickly paint up (alternate) Nicodem and Mortimer

nicodem.jpg

mortimer.jpg

At some point I should paint up some a Vulture and some Mindless Zombies (and maybe some of the Heresy ones - either these or these) to round out the crew...

- Dave

• Like 2

Thanks! Black is one of those colours that's surprisingly hard to get right - it's easy to over-highlight it and end up with grey instead. Nicodem's coat was highlighted with grey, but for his hat I used blue for the highlights with just a touch of grey in the top highlights which tends to look blacker than highlighting with grey.

I really love the alternate Nicodem model but since we already have a Nicodem player at the club I can't I imagine me using him too often - I'd prefer to stick to masters that aren't already in use - and I decided to grab Mortimer while he's still available separately.