Can Dreamer be played without Daydreams?

WiLDRAGE

I've been playing for maybe a month and originally picked Pandora purely on the basis that Baby Kade was in the box. Since then I've gotten very accustomed to her and I really like her playstyle.

Along the way, I picked up Lelu and Lillitu as well as a Teddy and two Insidious Madness. I ended up getting his Box Set since I had so many models that could theoretically work with him (and I wanted Coppelius for my Pandora crew).

The problem is that our store hasn't received any Daydreams yet. I will buy some when we get them for certain but in the meantime my games with him have been less than stellar. LCB or Dreamer always seem to be left in the open inviting retaliation. It seems that most of their shenanigans are only really effective with Daydreams.

So, is it worth trying to make him work or should I just wait for the Daydreams?

You can absolutely play the Dreamer without Daydreams, however you will notice that the Dreamer won't feel like a top tier master until you acquire them. The Bury/Unbury mechanic becomes very tricky to use effectively without the extra actions that the Daydreams provide. You also can't utilize any of the, in my opinion, OP movement shenanigans The Dreamer can pull off. As long as you realize you won't be operating at full efficacy and will occasionally feel shackled you will be ok.

I have never played a game without them, but I have played many games where I started them buried and never unburied them.

I would say play the Dreamer without the day dreams so you can get accustomed to what it is like not having them (when given the opportunity players will take take them out). This way you have the experience to handle any kind of situation with the Dreamer.

To be honnest I'd say play without them for the reason fading memory gave then things are easier for you. Like when I play Colette, I use them fine but as soon as the Cody her die (rare but happens) I'm always completely lost even though I can still do plenty of dmg and get my VP I'm just less comfortable without them if I started, so good to learn without the things that are essential to how you play

Playing "Hide The Dreamer" is a great way to practice for when those Daydreams have been killed. I once spent an entire game with the Dreamer and a stitched on a rooftop, with the Dreamer dropping Chompy down on the Claim Jump, then hopping back on the roof in one activation. Hide and Seek is a great game =p