Mining Town Demo Board Project

Antiquitas

I have started painting the rocks and staining the timbers. I can't do any more of the features now until that is done as the platform and stairs will cover part of the stream.

Staining the timbers:

I have tried something new this time. I bought a tin of Light Teak Wood Dye. It is water based so cleaning the brush is easy. This worked really well and you can vary the darkness of the timbers by painting on more coats. One problem though - it doesn't cover PVA.

IMG_2681.JPG

The Rocks:

First coat was a wet wash of artist's (cheap) Red Oxide acrylic paint.

IMG_2685.JPG

The second coat was a wash of cheap artist's Raw Sienna acrylic paint.

IMG_2688.JPG

The third coat was a heavy dry brush of (again) cheap artist's Neutral Gray.

IMG_2696.JPG

Next stage is to add rubble, slag and grass, and paint the river.

But that will be another night...

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to have a steam powered beam engine pump on the second board so I have raided the bits boxes and found an old wooden display stand (for the wheel), a copper pipe fitting, some washers and a paintbrush (for the pump) and a triang bridge girder, some toy bridge supports ,a curtain hanger, some dowel, a bit of MDF and an eye rivet (for the beam).

IMG_2677.JPG

Now i have to figure out the furnace, boiler, stack and drive.

Later...

Thanks for following my thread. I hope it inspires you to have a go at some terrain boards because they are great fun to design and build, and great to play on!

More soon...

I was Seriously thinking "Macguyver" as i read your list of Bits for the Beam pump lol.

outside of that this board is looking amazing xD makes me wish i was in Ireland so i could play on this board once finished xD i wanna Play on Yazza's board to xD

Very true!

I want to make the four boards completely different for gaming.

The first board - The Mine - has a lot of height differences, there's 6" between the highest point and the ground and about 4 1/2" from the drop-ramp to the floor, but lots of long line-of-sights for shooting.

The second board - The Beam Engine - has fewer levels but with things in the way for a mixed shooting and ambushing game.

The third board - The Store Yard - has a lot of walls, buildings to go into and is nearly all one level, so the game movement and line of sight is restricted.

The fourth board is all about fighting indoors - with the roofs and inside balconies removable to access all levels.

I know that as i start building each board then i will get new ideas or find that some of the plans just won't work but that's what makes it interesting and fun.

Thanks for the advice - I will think of you when I'm tearing my hair out!

Cheers!

<snip> Staining the timbers:

I have tried something new this time. I bought a tin of Light Teak Wood Dye. It is water based so cleaning the brush is easy. This worked really well and you can vary the darkness of the timbers by painting on more coats. One problem though - it doesn't cover PVA. <snip>

Aye whenever working with stains, use it on the wood before assembling then just be careful with the glue when put together.

Looked at the pics again (now that they are bigger) and must admit I still like what I see...

I noticed you and I have a lot of same ideas for our boards ( mine is at http://www.wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26690). a lot of similar elements, brothel/saloon, beam engine, mine etc...

Will definetely use some of your ideas (if you don't mind ;) ) and you can use mine :)

Just one question: where will you store the board once finished (to be precise: how will you prevent it from getting dirty) ?

Edited by Demonn Agram

Hi Demonn

Great board -and I like the ideas!

I'd love to have full size boards but transporting them and storing them is always a problem.

I have made a lot of themed boards for 40K but I make all the features on tapered edge hardboard or ply and paint a cloth for the pieces to sit on. This means that I can box everything (including the cloth) to take them to club nights or competitions.

warpcon%252520xx%252520005.jpg

Jungle Board at WarpCon XX

I wanted this board to be easy to carry about so the boards are very light (while still strong enough to take the knocks) and I will be making a carrybags (each holds two boards) specially for transporting and storage. The bags will reinforced and about 18.5" x 18.5" x 13 inches, with spaces for all the 'loose bits' and a pocket for the books etc.

Mike will need to take at least two to Demos, and the crews so it needs to be manageable... and I can build other boards later to extend the set.

Edited by Antiquitas
Titled the Pic

Another busy evening as I have decided that tomorrow I will have to start the second board! (The theory is that if I'm doing two boards I won't have to wait for the paint to dry - but really I just want to work on the beam engine).

So this is what I've been up to this morning, lunchtime and so far this evening:

The River:

A wash of GW Dark Angels Green, and while wet some GW Dark Green Ink and GW Fleshwash along the cliff side, Yellow Ink in streaks along the flow and Fleshwash on the edge of the rail bank.

I added a bit of an overflow towards the mine entrance in green, Fleshwash and yellow inks through a gap in the rocks.

The river still has to have the wavecrests done in white and then it all needs to be varnished.

Stones:

I have added some rubble to the bottom of some of the rock faces, in various hollows, in front of the mine entrance, and along the slagtruck rails. I used two different texture/colours and dabbed PVA in varying thicknesses in the places I wanted it to go and then sprinkled a large quantity of sand over the area and let it set. I collect all the waste afterwards to use elsewhere. By having different depths of PVA you can get it to hold sand, dust or small stones.

When it was all dry I made a very diluted PVA and fleshwash mix and painted it over the sand to seal it in place. Before that dried I stippled it with differing amounts of neat Fleshwash to give it different shades.

I will probably dry brush it with a light grey later.

I used an almost white stoney sand for the branch-line ballast to show up the sleepers.

I have still got to do the slag heap.

IMG_2698.JPG

And bits:

I did another coat of wood dye on the timbers as they needed to be darker.

I have added a shutter to stop stones falling back onto the rails.

And I have started the platform to the rock steps, complete with a little staircase up to it by the river.

IMG_2697.JPG

So that's it for this board for a while but tomorrow I am going to start on the hills of board 2 and might show some of the the tools i use to do the intricate carving...

I never made it as far as the craft room tonight.

Instead I spent too much on ebay bidding for some Resurrectionists - so now I have more things to paint, and another faction to play.

But I did work on the stone step's platform, so not entirely wasted evening.

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2705.JPG

(Lilith's ready for action but Hans just wants a quiet fag-break - Malifaux can be so demanding!)

Good Morning!

I woke up stupidly early so I wandered down to the craftroom and got stuck in.

I had already cut my 18" (4mm) ply baseboard so it was out with the power tools and away.

IMG_2709.JPG

NOTE: There is an extremely good tool on the market for cutting and shaping polystyrene - a hot-wire cutter - which costs around 15 - 80 Euros - but gives off nasty fumes as it melts the plastic.

Here is vid link on How to use one:

1 - For the beginner..

[ame]

[/ame]

2 - But for the more ambitious..

[ame]

[/ame]

...you don't really need one

And I don't have one...

I use.a variable-speed drill with a shaper-bit (like an extremely ferocious file, which gouges, shapes, smoothes and often skits across the surface), an angle grinder, a kitchen knife, a handsaw, stanley knife and occasional broken nail when I forget that you can't 'pinch' bits out like you can with the white low density stuff.

IMG_2707.JPG

WARNING

Please ensure that you read the safety information on all powertools before using them. Always wear protective clothing such as eye-protectors, face mask, hard hat, steel-toe-capped boots, leather apron, chainmail gloves...

And have a First Aid Kit nearby (or a nurse).

I use cocktail sticks or sharpened candyfloss sticks to hold the bits together, and as I add layers. When the glue is dried I just chop off the ends and leave them in.

IMG_2710.JPG

I usually screw the foam to the board to stop it moving while the glue sets, and take them out afterwards.

IMG_2713.JPG

Well that's it for this morning as I have got to get ready for work.

You know what they say... All play and no work means you starve!

One of the features on the second board is a steam powered beam engine to pump water from the mine.

I raided the bits boxes and found a load of useful stuff including a toy gun scope, a couple of dolls house walls, a paint pot, a computer fan, a speaker knob and a key.

IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

Still a bit of tidying up to do and need to make the walls round the drive wheels.

I think I might make some stone pillars or 'oak' posts to support the beam as I don't think these really suit it , but it's nearly there.